4 large cents & 1 silver

Flyingbuy

Apr 20, 2009
Berkshire County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLabs (Explorer ) , Tesoro (DeLeon ) ,Garrett (AT Pro Gold)
4 large cents & 1 silver

I returned to a small field I have been working for the last year and it gave up 5 more coins over my four hour search. All of the coins I have dug at this site have been large coppers so I was happy to dig the 1/2 dollar. I believe the large cents are 1797, 1803 , and 1806 . I know they don't show well in the pic's but under a magnification glass I can pull the dates. The other copper is badly worn but the shield resembles that on a Virginia 1/2 penny ? I welcome anyones thoughts ? The 1/2 dollar is a beautiful coin and is a Columbus Exposition commemorative coin. I hope to return to this field soon and will post any new finds !!!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 637
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 635
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 632
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 632
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 641
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 635
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 638
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 632
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 649
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 627
Upvote 0

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: 4 large cents & 1 silver

As Allen would say
"Way to go on those excellent finds"

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6

Oh ya that's how to do it :thumbsup:

Grats on some super finds :headbang:

G1

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D

Those are some great finds. Commemorative silver halves don't show up that often at all... I can't even remember the last one I saw dug. Every coin you've got there is just awesome. Congrats! :hello2:

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

very nice finds, I hope you get many more and thanks for sharing.

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"

I love commemorative halves. never found one.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Nick A (at1cad) said:
Those are some great finds. Commemorative silver halves don't show up that often at all... I can't even remember the last one I saw dug. Every coin you've got there is just awesome. Congrats! :hello2:

Martha's Vinyard must be an awesome place to detect! I have been there a few times, but never did any detecting so congrats!

Every now and then I see one of those coins Columbian Expo coins posted. They are fairly common coins, but it is still a great find.

Those large coppers are all great finds. I think you hit the nail on the head with the Virginia copper.

OP
OP
F

Flyingbuy

Apr 20, 2009
Berkshire County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLabs (Explorer ) , Tesoro (DeLeon ) ,Garrett (AT Pro Gold)

Neil in West Jersey said:
Nick A (at1cad) said:
The Vineyard is a cool place to detect because it was a vibrant seaport with ships from around the world making port. Last year I dug a (1841) 2 cent piece from Haite. It is difficult to gain permission to many properties as much of the island is owed by seasonal folks. When I pulled the 1/2 dollar I was excited as I had never seen one, but after looking it up found them to be common and were stuck in high numbers. The Virginia 1/2 penny is one of those coins that is so worn that if I breate on it It will fade away. I'll post anything else worth looking at soon !!

Martha's Vinyard must be an awesome place to detect! I have been there a few times, but never did any detecting so congrats!

Every now and then I see one of those coins Columbian Expo coins posted. They are fairly common coins, but it is still a great find.

Those large coppers are all great finds. I think you hit the nail on the head with the Virginia copper.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY

Me and some of my hunting buddies have hunted the area where the Columbian Expostition was held in Chicago. It would be a really nice find to find one of those coins there. TMAN...

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I always wanted to detect marthas vineyard....Surfdrive beach is another area I'd love to hit. I found a beautiful Colonial shoe buckle in Hatchville.(east falmouth) and a draped bust Large Cent. Keep posting finds from up there.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah that's a VA Halfpenny. Great day!

Top Member Reactions