Found $47.88 in clad in three hours, no joke, gotta read this.

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Got back from Alabama yesterday, and the whole way back I thought about detecting. Today the temp would reach 60 degrees. I live near an army training base, and about once a month I detect some of the training pits, where the troops drill, do hand to hand, bayonet training, and all sorts of other coin and jewelry losing activities. There are also those areas where I usually don't go, but I'd like to. The places that are always being used but I avoid. I avoid them since they are constantly in use, and if I came near them I would be seen as a training distractor, and could possibly upset the leadership on post, and ultimately lose this metal detecting privilege. So I wait, wait until the Christmas Exodus. That's the period of time all training shuts down and the troops go home to celebrate the holidays. If I am lucky, I get a nice day, like today. I had my eyes on four such locations on the base. I only got to one today. I knew this is strictly clad and jewelry, but it adds up quick. These pits are about 20 yards by 70 yards filled with sand, shredded tires, and wood chips. The first and only one I got to today kept me pretty busy. I searched for three hours. I finally gave up, as I was actually exhausted. Never thought I would actually ever get exhausted from metal detecting. But I was finding coins literally on every swing. After about twenty minutes, I set my detector to only accept coins above dimes, and accept gold and nickels. The logic being that I would rather find the quarters, silver, and any possible gold signals and nickels. When the detector said nickel/gold, it was always nickels, but only once every 10 - 15 times I might get trash. Imagine, hardly any tabs. This was my best clad day ever. Now I need to get back there and pick up those dimes and pennies, and get to the other three pits. I posted a few of the other things I found there today. The unit coin from the 48th Dragoons. This is my second such unit coin this year. Also posted a Soldiers Prayer dog tag, an ROTC advertisement medalion, and a quartz watch minus band. Although I'm a bit sore from all the bending down, I can't wait to get back, Perhaps next Tuesday. Wow, $47 in clad. Now, if I can only find that much in pre- 1964 coins. Yea, right. Merry Christmas to all.

Attachments

• 48infantry.jpg
    48infantry.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 736
  • soldiersprayerwatch.jpg
    soldiersprayerwatch.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 730
  • ROTC.jpg
    ROTC.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 755
Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
renegade_7 said:
Wow, $47 in clad.? Now, if I can only find that much in pre- 1964 coins.

Believe it or not, back in the 60's there were those who did just that. See some of those old treasure magazines from the 60's.

Just imagine what it would be like if today one could travel back in time to say the late 50's and hunt with a modern day detector. One day's hunt in some major city park you'd probably fetch several hundred dollars worth of coins (including a couple dozen rings).

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet you sleep very well tonight!!!!! :o That's a bunch a money!

Keep us updated on the totals! Awesome!

;)

Merry Christmas!!!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job. great finds. Tsgman

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Man, that's a lot of diggin'! I would also bet the soldier that lost his unit (ie--challenge) coin is gonna be :'( in everybody's beer. 8) day, HH and don't forget the Ben-Gay at the PX.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great haul of clad! I also have a few of those honey holes, hardly any trash and only a few pennies. HH, Mike

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Renegade ! You're definately "in the money"! Keep us posted. :)

Huntin' 59er

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
those are real nice finds, im going out today again, hope to do better . no silver in a long time,,,

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Way to go! I'm glad you provided the back story... My first thought was that you could only find that much clad that quick in a big red kettle outside of the local grocery store! ;) Your story was much better!
Ruth

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've corresponded with a few guys who have hunted aboandoned bases. They tell me most of the goodies are found whereever the on base housing use to be. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread