100_0904.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 480
Upvote 0
OP
OP
paleoheadhunter

paleoheadhunter

Sep 24, 2005
I've been racking my brain to identify the ring thing,but it's made of either copper or brass and it has gripping ridges on the inside.I'm thinking that it is some part of the bullets,but I can't figure out where it would come off of though.

OP
OP
paleoheadhunter

paleoheadhunter

Sep 24, 2005
HEHEH!!I guess I should of thought of that..Thanks

Attachments

• 100_0909.JPG
    100_0909.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 460
OP
OP
paleoheadhunter

paleoheadhunter

Sep 24, 2005
It matches the .50 cal. almost exact.I have another half of a .50 shell and I can almost squeeze it through the ring.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Nate!

That's a bunch a bullets!........looks like you're gonna catch up with me!! :o

;D

GuantanaSWO

Dec 24, 2005
The ring shaped object looks to be the outer "race" fron a small roller bearing. Just my guess from being an engineer :)

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
My Father Fought In The Pacific Theater Of WW2. He Never Talked About It When In I Was Growing Up, So When Ever You Hunters In That Area Find WW2 Relics I Think Of Him . Thank You Trk5capt.. :'(

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Nice finds! The ring is not part of any type of rifle round that I know of. But I am not an expert on Japanese ammo either... who knows what those silly Japanese did back then! The ring does resemble an outter race from a bearing, but I would think that the race would be a hardened steel. I don't think that copper would make a very good race because it would rapidly wear out. Sorry, I'm no help on this one other than to say I know it didn't come from a US rifle round nor a hand grenade.

By the way, if the 9mm rounds are old, they would be .38's unless you found them near Japan! The Nambu Type 14 which was introduced in 1938 was a Japanese officer's pistol and seeing as how you were finding quite a few, I doubt that there were that many officers around in the middle of battle. I guess I should stop here.... before I dig a really deep hole that I have to climb out of and ask a question. Where did you find these?

OP
OP
paleoheadhunter

paleoheadhunter

Sep 24, 2005
I hunt and live in Port St. Lucie/Ft.Pierce,FL.I did alot of research after I posted this last night and learned that the Navy directed amphibious training here on the beach to prepare for D-Day.They trained here from 1943-1946.I've lived here my whole life and never heard anything about that.You would think they would teach us about our local history back in the highschool days.Also I've been surfing these beaches for about 20 years and the recent erosion uncovered big cement blocks and long steel poles aimed into the ocean and apparently they constructed those to simulate the beach on the French coast.I'm now looking forward to finding some more WWII relics knowing what I know now.Thanks for the replies.HH!!GL!!NATE

Whitewings

Nov 23, 2005
We dont live our history close enough, we need to document what is going on now for future generations. There was a lot of WW2 training done across the U.S. and a lot of those sites are forgotten. We should take a lesson from the Israilies and teach history forever.

Write down as much of your geneology as you know, include pictures and keep it current. Leave a message for those that follow you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions