Best finds to date for Pepperpump

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas to everyone. I found these items today all in one area in Stafford VA. Does anyone know what the long metal item is? What are the chances of finding leather from the civil war era? I found a couple of what I believe are saddles and a whole lot of other horse related stuff near a stream on a friends land. The leather breaks apart upon touching it pretty much. Any ideas where I can find more info out on this stuff??? There is more I have to dig up as I ran out of time today. Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Pepperpump :D

Attachments

• reli.jpg
    reli.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 605
  • relic15.jpg
    relic15.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 613
  • relics10.jpg
    relics10.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 606
  • relics19.jpg
    relics19.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 586
Upvote 0

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
yep, you found a bunch of horse tack, bridle buckles, bits and the long thing is also a team horse thing
what.... i'm not sure what it's called,the bud horses have it on there gear,cool stuff :)

HH Mark

OP
OP
pepperpump

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Thanks Mark. I hunted this stuff on a friends land. There are what I believe 2 saddles. I really haven't even begun to dig. I was unable to get everything that I found within the first 2 inches before the sun went down. I will be back next week. What time period do you think this stuff may be? I actually think I may have found a trash pit from the civil war. I have found a few broken tin cups as well as a lot of other stuff. Needless to say, I will be busy for awhile. Thanks again.
Pepperpump ;D

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
could very well be civil war stuff,find all you can ,and then do some research to find out what was in the area you have some neat stuff ;).

HH Mark

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Pepper!!!!!

What an awesome spot you have found!

Awesome finds!!!!

;)

Merry Christmas!

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W T G ! Looks like a site worth further detecting. Keep us posted. :)

Huntin' 59er

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Wow thats the most buckles and horse bits and stuff dug in one day i have ever seen :o You must have come across a horse camping or watering hole area...Very nice stuff!

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Great Finds, Leather that is in contact with Brass or Boggy Ground Will sometimes survive the pasage of time. I found the remains of a McClellan Saddle 20 yrs ago near a marsh. trk5capt... 8)

J

jerryshunt

the long metal thing is called a hame there were two of them on a harness went on each side of thr horse collar the pulling chain went along the sides of the horsr back to a single tree that done the pulling the horse actually done the pulling with the front shoulders yall have a nice xmas btw its 72 degrees here

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those snaffle bits to a collector (the horse mouth peices for attaching the reigns) could be a little bit of money, last picture 3 peices toward the bottom an toward center very cools digs

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weres the saddle bags...

OP
OP
pepperpump

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I have to go back and get them as I ran out out time, as soon as I get them and clean them up, I will post the pics. I dont know how well they will turn out as when you touch the leather, it literally falls apart. I do have a few big pieces still intact though. I will get the pics online hopefully in the next day. Thanks for checking.
Pepperpump

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread