I Found a 1877 Indian Head Penny!!!! (Update Back from ANACS Graded Pics)

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll I found what alot of people have been looking a lifetime for a 1877 IHP. I'm thinking begginers luck considering I have only been detecting since April 09. Was hunting a site I have hunted numerous times the last few months and walked over this spot at least a dozen times (Funny how you miss something one day and find it another) about 2" down on a root was my 1st 1877 IHP and it's in great shape for being in the ground so long. Going to send it away to be proffesionally cleaned and slabbed but have no clue who's does it. Any reccomendations? Also got what I believe is a 1886 V Nickel (Key Date) Going to try to clean that up and post the pics as well of that. Hunt produced a 1906 Barber Dime and a 1944P War Nickel. I'm on cloud nine right now. My buddy talks about finding one of these all the time. Worst part is I was using his Ace250 that he's been letting me use since I started (Thanks Bartman). Any suggestions on where to send it to get cleaned and graded?

1zb9xds.jpg

20arjig.jpg

m7aw5s.jpg

s1pzkk.jpg

Totals
16hqhq0.jpg

10/6/09 Update
Sent if off to Anacs uncleaned to have them grade it came back VF 20 Details/Heavily Corroded. I'm happy with it, now to sell it or not that is the question.

2kkj2v.jpg

2gwgxzr.jpg

Upvote 0

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Re: I Found a 1877 Indian Head Penny!!!!

Congrats on a Banner find. That is one of the best I have seen. Great job, one you will never forget. Congrats....jgas

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

banner :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

sonny61

Sep 9, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Prizm 4, Surfmaster ll

great finds, congrats :thumbsup:

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250

pitbullfan said:
Wow!!! Great hunting. I'm still looking for my first IH. You got my banner vote due to the fine condition that coin is in. Pat yourself on the back, then go wash and vaccum bartman's car :laughing7:

Hope I can have some beginners luck like that.
Richard, I told you that treasurenetter's always had great advice :tongue3:

OP
OP
lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Still shaking and its been hours since I found it. My wife doesn't think its a big deal. I'm trying to tell her how hard it is to find this coin. She"ll never get it. Details are great for a dug coin sorta suprised me. Out of the 50-60 I've dug out of here this one is has the nicest details sorta of like winning the lotto Key date coin best details out of the bunch. Next best IHP date I pulled out of here was a 1868 and I thought the details on that one was good. Loving the ACE250 more and more everyday. Who says cheaper detectors don't work. :headbang:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1

Freaking incredible! Congrats on a super sweet IH! I haven't even found one that nice yet, let alone a key date one :)

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is superb.... the question now is- are you buying yourself a new detector with the proceeds from the sale or one for Bartman? ::) ;D

Seriously - nice find!!! :hello2: :thumbsup: :notworthy:

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe

Sweet coin!! Get a good picture of the key date V-nickel on here and I bet you make banner for sure.
Those two coins in the same hunt.........unreal!! 8)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FANTASTIC IH!!! That's a find of a lifetime. A big congrats & I hope to see it make banner. It really is a beauty. :icon_thumleft:
As far as grading it, I sent a double die 1864 IH to NGC once and it was sent back to me as ungraded with "active corrosion" because it was a dug coin. Of course there was no refund either. :(
I would call them directly first before you send it. The preservation portion of their biz mentioned above sounds like the way to go.
Again, CONGRATS!!!
-MM-

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works

With that great find you can buy your any detector you want HH Mike

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bart, Did he send you photos on your phone. I got two, the obverse then reverse. I think his hand was shaking.

For those who don,t know lonelyduckhunter, he is a very good detectorist. All this was done with good but low end detector. He is a combination pit bull, energizer bunny, 6 million dollar man detectorist, who is addicting to metal detecting. He always lets me know what he is finding. When I go detecting with him I feed of his energy. Seeing what he is finding pushes me to match it. I hope he doesn,t loose the bug like I did when I first tried detecting in 1983. But then I did not find anything like what I have seen over the past three months.

By the way all this doesn,t happen without help (a location tip and loan of a detector) from Bartman. Followed by TNET. This is where I connected with both.

Kudos to Bart, Lonelyduckhunter, and TNET.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

Bartman said:
My detector, in my spot, while I'm busy at work. You sure do know how to make a guy feel great :tongue3: Seriously, that is my dream coin. Sad part is we all probably walked over that coin before. I knew you weren't kidding by the sound of your voice. I think that coin has F-VF details, but will grade corroded. Either way, I bet you're on cloud nine. Not to mention a key date V nickel of 1886. I'm a little bias here, but that is a banner hunt IMO.
How did you miss those coins Bartman?? just kidding.. I know I have missed coins before an wondered how I missed them when I know I hit that particular spot I would be hunting atlest 20 times every way possible

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250

creeper71 said:
Bartman said:
My detector, in my spot, while I'm busy at work. You sure do know how to make a guy feel great :tongue3: Seriously, that is my dream coin. Sad part is we all probably walked over that coin before. I knew you weren't kidding by the sound of your voice. I think that coin has F-VF details, but will grade corroded. Either way, I bet you're on cloud nine. Not to mention a key date V nickel of 1886. I'm a little bias here, but that is a banner hunt IMO.
How did you miss those coins Bartman?? just kidding.. I know I have missed coins before an wondered how I missed them when I know I hit that particular spot I would be hunting atlest 20 times every way possible
Creeper, this particular park has been very interesting and taught me a lot (I'm a rookie) myself. It took us a number of hunts to get to the good stuff. There was so much modern clad here ($100's) to get through, before the older stuff started to show up. It has been grided rehunted etc... and still continues to produce in spots we've definitely been over. Richard has done the vast majority of hunting here so kudos to him for removing all the modern stuff and trash so we can get a clear shot at the older stuff. If the weather changes you can go back and find stuff in a spot you just went over. BTW, if anybody thinks the ACE is a cheap machine they are wrong. Richard has done just as well with that (going slow) as we have with other more $ detectors.

vermonster

May 7, 2009
hootersville NY
Detector(s) used
whites prism IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:headbang:wow now thats a great find i'd love 2 find one of those and in beautiful shape

OP
OP
lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mach 1 Pilot said:
That is superb.... the question now is- are you buying yourself a new detector with the proceeds from the sale or one for Bartman? ::) ;D

To answer your question the 1st thing that came to mind was to sell the coin. After having a day to think about it I will proabaly keep it. Reason being is it's one of those things you can hand down to your kids and there kids and so on. I mean it's not like the price of it is ever going to go down plus I know I will probaly never top it in my lifetime. Therefore Bart will have to settle for McDonalds and I will stick to the Ace 250. ;D The only thing I have sold so far I found was a Broken white Gold tennis bracelet and the only reason was it was broken. Got all my other finds silver coins, gold rings, silver rings and such. I want to have something to give to my kids that they can hopefully be thankful for. Sorta like when my grandfather passed away and left me his guns. I wouldn't sell them for all the money in the world. Now all I have to do is find 2 more 1877 for my other 2 kids. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions