I Found a 1877 Indian Head Penny!!!! (Update Back from ANACS Graded Pics)

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll I found what alot of people have been looking a lifetime for a 1877 IHP. I'm thinking begginers luck considering I have only been detecting since April 09. Was hunting a site I have hunted numerous times the last few months and walked over this spot at least a dozen times (Funny how you miss something one day and find it another) about 2" down on a root was my 1st 1877 IHP and it's in great shape for being in the ground so long. Going to send it away to be proffesionally cleaned and slabbed but have no clue who's does it. Any reccomendations? Also got what I believe is a 1886 V Nickel (Key Date) Going to try to clean that up and post the pics as well of that. Hunt produced a 1906 Barber Dime and a 1944P War Nickel. I'm on cloud nine right now. My buddy talks about finding one of these all the time. Worst part is I was using his Ace250 that he's been letting me use since I started (Thanks Bartman). Any suggestions on where to send it to get cleaned and graded?

1zb9xds.jpg

20arjig.jpg

m7aw5s.jpg

s1pzkk.jpg

Totals
16hqhq0.jpg

10/6/09 Update
Sent if off to Anacs uncleaned to have them grade it came back VF 20 Details/Heavily Corroded. I'm happy with it, now to sell it or not that is the question.

2kkj2v.jpg

2gwgxzr.jpg

Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
Re: I Found a 1877 Indian Head Penny!!!!

Sweet. Congrats on the IH. I think that Barber dime looks great as-is, I wouldn't clean that at all.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is a lot to be said for beginners luck. You will find with experience that places you and
your buds have pounded can produce finds after some time goes by. Congratulations on
the IH.

OP
OP
lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Boognish said:
I think that Barber dime looks great as-is, I wouldn't clean that at all.

The Barber is in great shape rinsed it with water and put it in a 2x2. Makes #9 Barber dime in the last 6 months. Only got one out of 9 that was not in this shape. It's weird the Barbers seem to come out better then the mercs I find. Barber silvers are probaly my favorite of all of the silver coins.

Thanks all for the kind comments will post results of the grade the IHP gets when it gets back. Send it off to be graded Friday.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds. :thumbsup: To your continued success. :occasion14:

OP
OP
lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See top post for graded pictures.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one awesome coin. An extremely rare coin, and its in excellent condition. Definitely worthy of banner, I'm really surprised it hasn't been there yet.

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nova said:
That should buy you a nice detector, can't beat that for only a penny. ;D

Are you still using your buddies ace 250?

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
That's awesome man! IH are still one of my absolute favorite coins to dig, as I didn't even know what they were until I dug one. Yours is especially nice, and congrats on the key date and awesome grade!

~Tom

OP
OP
lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nova said:
Nova said:
That should buy you a nice detector, can't beat that for only a penny. ;D

Are you still using your buddies ace 250?

Sure am he's a nice guy :icon_thumright:

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
WeaponsUSMC said:
Beautiful coin, if you dont mind me asking, what does it cost to get a coin graded and slabbed?
I will second that ? and also what is the process on that? do you call them or, and do they call you on arrival? and how long does it take to get it back? please let us know and thanks, awsome find you have there!

Chuck.

TexasTrash

Oct 24, 2009
North Edge of Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Radio Shack Discovery 2000- don't laugh
First off, CONGRATS on finding some AWESOME coins!!!!! You must be trippin' out right now. I know I'd be freaked if I found 1 of them, let alone the lot that you found.

I just got an ACE 250 myself and was wondering...... What did your detector display read when you got a hit on the IH? Also, was it a strong tone or an iffy one that you just dug?

As you may have guessed, I'm still working on trying to tell what my detector is telling me when I run across things and you seem to have a good idea with yours.

Thanks n HH!!

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome coin, my 2 cents for what it is worth is that if you don't need the money right now I would keep it. After all they are not making anymore of them and the price will only go higher. Congrats on the finds again and thanks for sharing. Happy hunting I am also curious about the cost and process of getting the coin cleaned, graded and slabbed thanks in advance for the information.

OP
OP
lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer a few questions from yesterday. I have found IHP on the ace that read many different ways solid zinc range penny hit that turned out to be IHP solid copper penny hits that turned out to be IHP but this 1877 rang on the 250 as a jump signal jumpining between zinc penny and dime. It was a good signal just jumped from zinc penny to dime back and forth. Never found anything else in the hole and it was on edge sitting sideways on a root. Any solid coin signals that are jumping in the coin range I dig 9 out of 10 times its a coin. Old nails will jump from quarter to fifty cents alot. I can pretty much tell after digging the same thing numerous times you will learn alot by volume and display. The more hours you swing it and the more you dig certain items you will become one with the machine. I know it sounds funny but that's the best way I can describe it.

Now as far as price to grade it and have slabbed was $48.00 that did not include intial shipping to Anacs but included slabbing, 5 day grade service, Return shipping and insurance to get it back to me. Very hassle free process and I would reccomend Anacs. Anacs will send you a email with all the statuses from recieving the coin to shippping it back to you. I am keeping it for now. At least till I dig a better one. ;D Below is there website that will walk you thru the process.

http://www.anacs.com/Default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread