TEN Copper Day!!! 7 Colonial and 3 Large Cents!!!!Best Coin Day Ever!!!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Well, I decided to take today off to go digging..it's my birthday.. and we hit the jackpot!! Dug 9 out of 10 of the coppers within 45 minutes of finding the spot! Slowed down and really pounded it for another 4 or 5 hours and got another colonial copper and a few more buttons. One dandy, 5 plain flats and one small cuff button with an eagle on it I have not identified yet. This is by far my best coin day in 20 years... Two of the coppers are a 1770 and 1780 George III and I am trying to clean the others to ID but some of them are pretty far gone. I'll post more picture after I clean and wax them..

I need to clearify.. "we" dug 10.. I found 8 and Pitdigger dug the others.. I didn't want to get credit for all Ten..
Just the 8 I dug!! ;-) I was a bit crazy there for a few minutes with a copper coming out every couple of minutes.. then it slowed down.. a day I will never forget!!
Thanks for looking..

I dry brushed them and hit them with a light coat of wax. The Georges are as I listed above, also the is what appears to be a 1797 Draped Bust but I can just make out the last part of the date and a 1818 Matron head. One of the other 4 has a little design that matches up with a 1773 Virginia Half Penny and two other are the same size and weigh as it.. the last is larger, about the same as the draped Bust but pretty much featureless.
MonkeyBoy

Attachments

• coins_2.jpg
    coins_2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,040
  • coins_1.jpg
    coins_1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,048
  • coins_3.jpg
    coins_3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,055
  • buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,043
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7 is about the best total coppers I might get in a day, so must be pretty damn good for the US! :o

Sadly they look like the ones I find in the ploughed land :P

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
happybirthdayred.gif

What a day!! You should have a birthday EVERY day! :D Congrats on all those fantastic finds, MB!!

Nana

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is definitely the MOST coppers that I've ever seen dug in one day especially by one person :notworthy: That is a noteworthy dig in my opinion and one helluva day :icon_sunny: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: Congrats bud and I would still like to come up and dig that bottle dump with you sometime

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

What a day! Bet your going back there ;D

Brian

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
holy cow! i can only dream of finding that many in a day. happy birthday indeed. congrats! dwayne

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure on the 1780? If it happens to be the top left on the third picture... Don't do anything to it! If you have a 1780 counterfeit DON'T WAX IT!!!! If it's 1780 Irish than this is only a false alarm. :-X

Some of you guys are going to make me have a heart attack. :D

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Iron Patch said:
Are you sure on the 1780? If it happens to be the top left on the third picture... Don't do anything to it! If you have a 1780 counterfeit DON'T WAX IT!!!! If it's 1780 Irish than this is only a false alarm. :-X

Ah make that a 1770 and 1788 sorry about the typo.. and a dry brush and alight coat of Renaissance wax was the way to go I thought??

MB

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MonkeyBoy said:
Iron Patch said:

Ah make that a 1770 and 1788 sorry about the typo.. and a dry brush and alight coat of Renaissance wax was the way to go I thought??

MB

1788 George III? You gotta figure out potential rare coins before doing anything.

Wax is a matter of opinion but I would not use it on coins, especially the condition I dig, which most times it close to the ones above.

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Iron Patch said:
MonkeyBoy said:
Iron Patch said:

MB

1788 George III? You gotta figure out potential rare coins before doing anything.

Wax is a matter of opinion but I would not use it on coins.

Yep... Geo III

MB

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MonkeyBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
MonkeyBoy said:
Iron Patch said:

MB

Wax is a matter of opinion but I would not use it on coins.

Yep... Geo III

MB

Are you sure it's 1788/ George III/ Britannia ? If so it has a shot to be very good. British would probably be very rare, Machin.. would have to check.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding day you had!!! :headbang: :headbang: Happy birthday indeed. :occasion13: If i found 10 coppers in one day I would get out the megaphone and tell the neighbors. :director: Congrats! :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
Outstanding day you had!!! :headbang: :headbang: Happy birthday indeed. :occasion13: If i found 10 coppers in one day I would get out the megaphone and tell the neighbors. :director: Congrats! :thumbsup:

What would 28 make you do? :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread