AAA patrol service

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
went on a all day hunt today with my buddy nexxus 777 hunted around 7 hours today at a veriety of places. found 5 wheats another token but not as old.a old pocket watch face. and this cool aaa pin. any body know anything about these? also looks to be a two piece colonial button. also a 1890 v nickle but its being cleaned. willy

Attachments

• scan0034.jpg
    scan0034.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 699
  • scan0035.jpg
    scan0035.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 765
  • scan0036.jpg
    scan0036.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,058
Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neat badge, and button. Thanks for sharing. HH......

MeanGene

Jul 3, 2009
Easthampton, MA
Way to go dude! Got your message. Sunday will work for me too. Just lemme know.

It looks like the sox will be rained out on saturday so sunday will be a double header. IF that is the case i dunno when i will be around sunday. Either way if im available we are gonna hit it hard!

GREAT FINDS! Your on a huge roll... keep it going.

GENE

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Curious finds.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am fairly certain that the badge is one that was given to the school bus patrol. I went to grade school in the 1950's and usually two students were chosen to be bus patrolers. Usually kids that got off the bus at one of the last five stops or so. Everyone was supposed to be sitting down on the bus except the patrol. You were given a belt with a strap that went across one shoulder and the badge went on the strap on the front of your chest. I remember white canvas straps and yellow plastic ones. The patrols were to keep order on the bus and people in their seats until they got to the bus stop. You ratted out misbehavior to the bus driver.

I believe that the AAA sponsored the bus patrol program and furnished the badges and belts for the advertising it got.

The badges issued to the patrols were full size badges. That one must have been a lapel pin given to a bus patrol for completing a school year service.

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
That was my guess too you beat me to the punch.

Looks like the Safety Patrol badges we had as school crossing guards when I was in elementary school. I did not ride the bus in elementary school, I walked to school so I don't know or can't remember if any of the safety patrol was on the buses or not in my area.

Now we have hundreds of people doing the same job we did as kids for around $30K a year and are county employees with benefits. >:( Go figure why this country is in the state it's in.

Our patrol belts were orange, the badge was full size too. I've never seen one that small. The safety patrol was run by the phys ed coach at my school circa 1974. We used to roll and fold up the orange safety belt and there was a hook that would allow it to be hung from your pants belt when not in use. It was kind of a status symbol to have a safety patrol belt hanging from your trousers while you were in class.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Started school in a brand new Eisenhour School in 1956 that went to the 8th grade . First year schools
were consolidated and integrated here . The American Automobile Association sponsored the program .
You had to have at least acheived the 6th grade with high marks to be nominated for the safety patrol
and your peers voted on your worthiness . Starched white cross shoulder/waist belts supported your badge which reflected your rank according to the color of the center . We were kept from being total
NAZIs by the voting process and the fact that after school we could get the crap kicked out of us because we had no rank and had to answer for our sins as individuals .
The perk , besides having authority during the day , was that if you remained on the Patrol in good standing to the spring of your 8th grade class you got to go to Washington ,DC during cherry blossom
time .
AAA funded , parent chaperoned , 3 day whirlwind tour of WDC in private autos . Awesome to the 7 of us that got to go . 5 of which had never been more than 10 miles from the coal camp they were born in or ever stayed in a motel .
We had a wonderful eyeopening time . The one down note was when a resturant in Falls Church , VA
refused to serve Sharon Clark ,our captain , because of the color of her skin .

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mac In NC said:
I am fairly certain that the badge is one that was given to the school bus patrol. I went to grade school in the 1950's and usually two students were chosen to be bus patrolers. Usually kids that got off the bus at one of the last five stops or so. Everyone was supposed to be sitting down on the bus except the patrol. You were given a belt with a strap that went across one shoulder and the badge went on the strap on the front of your chest. I remember white canvas straps and yellow plastic ones. The patrols were to keep order on the bus and people in their seats until they got to the bus stop. You ratted out misbehavior to the bus driver.

I believe that the AAA sponsored the bus patrol program and furnished the badges and belts for the advertising it got.

The badges issued to the patrols were full size badges. That one must have been a lapel pin given to a bus patrol for completing a school year service.

I'll say Mac is Correct,
I found one at a school in the past also.

Cool finds !

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread