kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.The rain finaly quit here so I headed out early this morning to a friends 1800's house.Poked around there for awile with nothing to show but some clad so I headed to the site wer I recently found a Fugio cent.I was there mabey 5 min's and my buddy's Dano and young Danil showed up.Young Danil wasent there more than 5 min's and found his first LC !! 17 something,still waiting to hear from Dano as to the year.WTG young Danil the LC findin man !!! I wandered around for awile and found a large flatbutton and then an 1818 LC.I was getting tired and hungry and was about to give up when I got a shallow signal that I thought was going to be a clad Quarter.Dug around and out popped a sweet NJ copper. I put a big scratch in it...thats what I get for being careless.I'm sick over that one..darn it darn it darn it !!!!! Thats the second nice coin that I've scratched this year.Lesson learned...I hope.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 438
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 448
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 440
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 435
Upvote 0

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking finds, the coppers are in great shape. Congrats on a great hunt! :thumbsup:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful coin KS. Don will get a kick out of this when he sees it. It seems to be the outlined shild variety (1787), yet the coulter seems farther forward than the ones listed in my Yeoman's, and the front looks more like the coulter and head of the 1786?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
Beautiful coin KS. Don will get a kick out of this when he sees it. It seems to be the outlined shild variety (1887), yet the coulter seems farther forward than the ones listed in my Yeoman's, and the front looks more like the coulter and head of the 1886?

I think he'll get a kick out of your dates even more. :D

Good dig! :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the scratch but "stuff" happens. Your NJ is a Maris 48-g variety, Very Common. I noticed some ole guys have trouble with fat fingers typing dates! :tongue3:

Good hunt for sure and will PM you shortly asking some info for my survey..

Don

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I just love those old coppers. Hope your source keeps producing. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dfx willy said:
very nice!!! willy.

Thanks Willy. ;D

collector01 said:
Great looking finds, the coppers are in great shape. Congrats on a great hunt! :thumbsup:

Thanks collector. ;D

johnnyi said:
Beautiful coin KS. Don will get a kick out of this when he sees it. It seems to be the outlined shild variety (1887), yet the coulter seems farther forward than the ones listed in my Yeoman's, and the front looks more like the coulter and head of the 1886?
'

Thanks Johnny.Yes I think it's the oulined sheild also from 1787. I just pm'ed Don so he could add it to his distribution study.

Iron Patch said:
johnnyi said:

I think he'll get a kick out of your dates even more. :D

Good dig! :thumbsup:

Thanks Ironpatch.

Don in SJ said:
Sorry about the scratch but "stuff" happens. Your NJ is a Maris 48-g variety, Very Common. I noticed some ole guys have trouble with fat fingers typing dates! :tongue3:

Good hunt for sure and will PM you shortly asking some info for my survey..

Don
Thanks Don.Glad to help.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"I noticed some ole guys have trouble with fat fingers typing dates! " Thanks for the heads up! :tongue3:

Don, why does Yeoman not list the outlined shield under 1786 varieties?

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The East coast is so much richer in treasures...inspires me alot.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
"I noticed some ole guys have trouble with fat fingers typing dates! " Thanks for the heads up! :tongue3:

Don, why does Yeoman not list the outlined shield under 1786 varieties?

John, I don't use Redbook for identifying varieites, since it is too general of a book for that, so I have no idea. But even coinfacts does not list it as an outlined shield, only a few other varieties, I just look at my NJ variety chart I have hanging on the wall and match the features. Out of about 150 varieties, when that much detail is showing it only takes a couple minutes of comparing...........

Don

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Jersey copper. :icon_sunny: I was fortunate enough to find one as well last year. Don included that one in his survey too. Great job as usual on the I D Don. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks y'all. ;D This is my second NJ copper.The first was in really bad shape so I'm really happy with this one.........and Don were can I get onea them chart's ....so I don't have to keep buggin ya everytime I find one. ::) ;D
Still waiting on the date from Young Danil's LC...we thought we could see 179... ! I'm hoping Dano will post some pic's ( hint hint) ;D

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great looking state copper! Hogge :headbang:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kieser sousa/rip said:
Thanks y'all. ;D This is my second NJ copper.The first was in really bad shape so I'm really happy with this one.........and Don were can I get onea them chart's ....so I don't have to keep buggin ya everytime I find one. ::) ;D
Still waiting on the date from Young Danil's LC...we thought we could see 179... ! I'm hoping Dano will post some pic's ( hint hint) ;D

My chart was a special gift from a very nice NJ collector and I am sure it was a limited edition thing. Just using Coinfacts.com and the Notre Dame site listing of variety charts should suffice, having the chart saves me the time of looking indiviidually, since I can scan all varieites on on big frame.
http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinContents/DieCharts.html

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/new_jersey_coppers/new_jersey_coppers.htm

Don

OP
OP
kieser sousa/rip

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
kieser sousa/rip said:

My chart was a special gift from a very nice NJ collector and I am sure it was a limited edition thing. Just using Coinfacts.com and the Notre Dame site listing of variety charts should suffice, having the chart saves me the time of looking indiviidually, since I can scan all varieites on on big frame.
http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinContents/DieCharts.html

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/new_jersey_coppers/new_jersey_coppers.htm

Don

Thanks Don. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread