Newbie to the fourm and first hunt today - my finds

Marlon Brando

Greenie
Oct 3, 2009
So I went on my first "serious" hunt today. And now I finally understand why everyone dreams of tortuing the person that invented pull tabs. I have a friend that has 10 acres with an abandoned homestead, an old rock chicken coop and school house on his property in western Nebraska. I know this place has to be hiding treasures all over the place, but unfortuantely I don't know my machine well enough yet to uncover them all. The place also is an old farm and my friend likes to shoot his guns, so between pull tabs, bullets and not being able to distingush between my machine tones yet it was a pretty trying day. I have no doubt I dug about 100 holes in 4 hours and was a little discouraged with my finds. With that though, now I see how important it is to have a good shovel to dig with because mine sucked, and how important a pinpoint finder is. Wow, that's really a pain to try to use your MD for doing that. Especially when you need to try and get in a hole. I found a lot of coffee can lids for some reason, just the lids. Lots of crushed cans and scrap metal, I did find a bottle that appeared to be a salt or pepper shaker probably from the 40's or 50's. And then I found the gear and what appears to be some sort of pulley, and those I kept. I figure if I clean them up and they might look cool on a book shelf. I really need to find someone though that knows how to set up a Fisher F70 for coin hunting, because I was just winging it and like I said I know I missed A LOT out there. Overall I'm a little dissapointed, I was hoping to find something of a little value...even a '06 penny would have been something. This is a tough hobby everybody :-)

Attachments

• 1st hunt.jpg
    1st hunt.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 382
Upvote 0

rogues71

May 9, 2009
mesa az
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
dont get discouraged every one starts out finding stuff like that in the begining middle and end of this hobby, but when you find your first piece of treasure either a 2009 quarter or a seated, it sparks something in you to go out again and again and before you know it you and your machine click, and your pulling in the good stuff.

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
YOU SOUND LIKE ME SIX MONTHS AGO...slowly and soon it,ll come together like riding a bike ,I still have frustrations for sure but my finds are getting a bit more likable...you are a lot luckier than me in the sense that there are heaps of buddies you can team up with..here they are as rare as :hello:rocking horse s***...and like game hunting you never know when something is gonna jump up in front of you...and yep the pull tab inventor...how about the rack.... :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

OP
OP
M

Marlon Brando

Greenie
Oct 3, 2009
It's kind of a double edged sword. I don't have anyone to hunt with because nobody else I know does it. BUT the good thing, is that all of the land I have permission to hunt on so far is virgin land. :hello2:

OP
OP
M

Marlon Brando

Greenie
Oct 3, 2009
Can a new coil really make that big of a difference?

*UPDATE* - WOO HOO
So I decided to take some of the "skills" I learned today and go out in my yard and practice. Low and behold I pulled up a 1991 dime! Oh yeah! First day out was not a complete loss! :icon_thumleft:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it. It was only your first serious hunt and you came back disappointed. T-Net would probably be a pretty lonely place if we gave up after a disappointing first hunt. I know I wouldn't be here. Like anything else, there is a learning curve and we must put in our time. Seed your yard to help learn your machine. You do have the picture part down, we like pictures. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread