MANGANO and SILVA find some Colonial...some Civil!!!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's up y'all. :wink: Got out again today and it was a Beautiful day here in Virginia. :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: Went up and hunted with my good buddy Chris Mangano who invited me up. He found some goodies and I found a couple things including the brass buckle all the way to the left in the picture. Friends and a few nice finds...dont get much better. :wink: :wink: So, these are my latest finds from today up in Petersburg and Friday back at home. Its a mix of brass and iron buckles, bullets, Indian heads etc....I haven't even cleaned any of it up yet except the .54 Minnie. I did find a mysterious piece of brass? in the area where I found the colonial buckles (Its above the center shoe buckle and is quite substantial in weight) Not sure what it is yet. :icon_scratch: Also, A cool lead piece in the middle that looks like some sort of homemade jewelry...I'll know better when I clean it up. Also found a really cool pocket knife that has an eagle with the General Service-type shield on it with two Civil War soldiers. There's just alittle gilt left on it and probably dates around the turn of the century but was very cool to see it come out of the ground. Some flat buttons of variety....one with an Eagle on the backmark and another that still has significant amounts of the silver gilt still on it and a flower pattern on the front. Had a heartbreaker as well.....I dug up a plug to reveal the nice back of a two-piece button and when I went to turn it over the front was missing :'( ;D Those types of finds take you from high to low quickly ;D ;D Really nice piece of a 6lber shell fragment was nearly the death of me as I TRIPPED over it sticking halfway out of the ground! :o And finally, Was hoping to top it off with a colonial copper coin but didn't find it this go around, maybe next time :P :wink: :D

P.S. MM, my package came yesterday, was lightning fast!! Thanks my friend!

Attachments

• P1010742ed.jpg
    P1010742ed.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 728
  • P1010743.JPG
    P1010743.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 711
  • P1010744.JPG
    P1010744.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 714
  • P1010733.JPG
    P1010733.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 716
  • P1010737.JPG
    P1010737.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 711
  • P1010738.JPG
    P1010738.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 709
  • P1010739.JPG
    P1010739.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 706
  • P1010745.JPG
    P1010745.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 701
  • P1010746.JPG
    P1010746.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 699
Upvote 0

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A MANGANO and a SILVA find COLONIAL AND CIVIL WAR RELICS!!!

Cool stuff. Love that knife.

Brian

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy smokes!!! :o Fantastic CW hunt Josh. That knife is very cool. :headbang:
Super variety. Keep us posted on the cleaned up pieces.
Congrats,
Doug

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Josh,

I always can count on some great finds from you and Chris. :icon_thumleft: I love that shoe buckle frame. :headbang: I bet there are numerous coppers at that site. :headbang:

Kirk

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

allen said:
i can only dream about a day of detecting like that !!!
congrats on all of those wonderful finds !!

Thanks Allen! :wink: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA said:
Josh,

I always can count on some great finds from you and Chris. :icon_thumleft: I love that shoe buckle frame. :headbang: I bet there are numerous coppers at that site. :headbang:

Kirk

Hey BRUTHA :wink: Thanks my friend and I hope there are some more there. Chris found a nice 1773 Virginia Copper at one of my sites last weekend :headbang: I'm definitely working on finding some more in the next couple weeks hopefully :wink: ;D

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a great relic collection. Awesome bunch of finds. :thumbsup:

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000

Super Finds ! Love that Fragment, and tripping over it ;D Ya Gotta Love this Hobby

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great bunch of finds :icon_thumright:

I'm interested in the 'flowered' Tombac button. It does seem to show signs of silvering but I have had many of these & none silvered, so I wonder if its not the orginial luster of the tombac metal? Any thoughts, does it look plated under close inspection?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Some great finds for you! That complete buckle in the center is a REAL keeper! Is the item with the eagle on it an old patriotic pocket knife? I also think the tombac with the design is a great find too. A BIG congrats on a great hunt, my friend. :hello2:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:

I'm interested in the 'flowered' Tombac button. It does seem to show signs of silvering but I have had many of these & none silvered, so I wonder if its not the orginial luster of the tombac metal? Any thoughts, does it look plated under close inspection?

Crusader, that was my thought at first...however, you can see where the silver has worn off, and underneath is that Pewter looking 'luster' that you were speaking of.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

Crusader, that was my thought at first...however, you can see where the silver has worn off, and underneath is that Pewter looking 'luster' that you were speaking of.

Excellent, never knew they did this to that type. Increases my knowledge base, thanks. In my experience it lifts it to another level :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
{Sentinel} said:
CRUSADER said:

Excellent, never knew they did this to that type. Increases my knowledge base, thanks. In my experience it lifts it to another level :icon_thumright:

Thanks my friend and appreciate your posts as they are more intellectual as opposed to just "Nice Finds" You have more to say in your post than that and always contribute in a positive way my friend :wink: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are some nice early finds man.

Love to find them early buttons and buckles.

HH Jer

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt and finds, Josh. Love that old button. Looks like a piece of cannonball frag ??? That knife is cool looking too. Wonder how old that may be ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread