You found a CANOE?

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Oh for the Love of… What the H….. Of all the things I might have imagined I NEVER would have dreamt of this! For heaven’s sake! I was born the son of a wealthy Virginia planter. I’ve lived the life of the aristocracy. I went to college. I studied the fine arts, history, the classics. Why I even Studied medicine for a time. Although, when I heard the call of the wild and wide open frontier I joined the army and took a commission. I fought the Indians on their own bloody ground in the wilds of the North West in far off Ohio. Fighting Indians is a dirty bloody business though and I eventually tired of the trials and tribulations and decided to settle down. My neighbors elected me to be their Governor for a time a while back. That was interesting. It would seem, however that my experience with the savages would continue to haunt me. Time and time again I would have to defend my constituents against the warring Indian tribes. That Damned Tecumseh would prove to be a thorn in my side for many many years, even after I defeated his brother “The Prophet” and their confederacy at Tippecanoe. I eventually got my chance and ended his days some years later however. We soundly defeated that heathen renegade and his British cohorts up north of Lake Erie.
Several years later the fine people of this nation determined that I would indeed make a suitable executive leader. They elected me to the post of the President of these United States of America, an honor presented to only eight other men before myself. And a fine presidency it would have been too, had it not been the cold and flu season when I was inaugurated. I just couldn’t seem to shake that blasted sniffling cold. What I would have given for a “vaccination” in my day! Alas. My Presidency came to an abrupt end a mere 31 days after I took office. It was a first for this great nation, for their serving president to die while in office. … and now this. To be STAMPED onto a nearly useless coin. To be lost without knowing, buried and forgotten for who knows how long, only to be unearthed by some fool carrying around a stick with a plate on the end of it wandering around as if he were blind or drunk or both. And what are those confounded contraptions he’s wearing over his ears? What has this world come to?

-William Henry Harrison- 9th President of the United States of America
1773 – 1841
W.H.H..jpg

Hello fellow TreasureNetters! Forgive me for the impromptu history lesson, and perhaps for its somewhat twisted delivery. I couldn’t resist however as I was a little interested in learning about this man myself. While detecting my favorite venue this last week (the mythical Soccer Complex) I discovered our 9th president.. or rather a coin bearing his likeness.. and realized that I didn’t know much or at least remember much about the man. Isn’t the internet a wonderful tool for learning? Anyway, my find of the Presidential dollar coin was something of a highlight for the hunt. Oh sure I found lots of OTHER presidents.. Duhh.. almost all U.S. Coins feature a “President”.. almost. But I don’t often find “DOLLAR” coins. I did however find a BIGGER coin this past week, a smaller denomination perhaps, but a bigger coin. And *IT* had a U.S. President on it too! <laughing> a nice big (if not very shiny) Kennedy Half Dollar. COOL!

Trio-Comp.jpg

Those two finds would have made my hunt, hell, my WEEK even, but they were but two of the many many MANY Presidents I would find at the soccer complex this week. A few oddball finds too, like the gaming token pictured with the dollar coin and the Kennedy half. I found a ring too. It wasn’t anything to write much about, definitely not gold or even silver, not even very pretty for that matter.. and broken. But still, it was a ring! There were other usual suspects from the playing fields too, like an insert from a pair of cleats, a zipper pull. Not often that you see a Louisville Slugger on the soccer fields, even if it’s merely a zipper pull.

ring & Slugger.JPG

Oh there were the usual suspects.. trash.. can slaw.. pull tabs.. wire.. etc etc. Even a tent stake.

trash.JPG

There were coins, coins, and more coins! Lord have mercy! I need a tractor to carry all these finds.. maybe even a caterpillar! Oh wait! I found those too!

Tiny Tractors.JPG

Ok ok ok.. so they were toys. You telling me YOU’VE never found toys while metal detecting? Hey! They were (are) metal! And I actually dug them both up from under the grass. I did find one other toy though, and it wasn’t buried in the dirt. It was just laying on the ground in the taller grass around the edge of one of the soccer pitches. A little toy truck some child lost I suppose. Or was it? Not everything is as it seems. You might say that “there is more than meets the eye”. <laughing>

Truck.JPG
truck-comp.jpg

Well, I needed help to get all my finds back to my vehicle and then to home. A tractor, a caterpillar, hell even a transforming truck/robot would have been welcomed! Indeed! Once I got home and cleaned up, sorted and counted all those exhumed “presidents” I was astounded at the totals. WOW! What a haul! Even for the soccer complex! Then again, this wasn’t a typical (of late) one or two hour hunt. I actually got to spend over three , no, almost four hours hunting in one day this past week. You might say I covered my gas with my finds.. and my lunch.. and batteries.. and perhaps even dinner, if I eat light. <laughing>

Clad.JPG

Yeah, quite a haul indeed! Probably the biggest for me this year, to date, and perhaps the rest of the year. <shrug> Oh well. I’m happy with finding anything, really. Just detecting is fun, finding anything is fun. But DAMN! Isn’t it nice to have a hobby that PAYS you to PLAY? <grin> I hope you all get out to play this coming week. Good luck and have fun.. and as always..

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Attachments

• W.H.H..jpg
    W.H.H..jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,439
  • Trio-Comp.jpg
    Trio-Comp.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,463
  • ring & Slugger.JPG
    ring & Slugger.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,461
  • trash.JPG
    trash.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,455
  • Tiny Tractors.JPG
    Tiny Tractors.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,456
  • Truck.JPG
    Truck.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,434
  • truck-comp.jpg
    truck-comp.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,436
  • Clad.JPG
    Clad.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,433
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Ricky1601 said:
cool, neat finds and your a great story teller....:) HH

Why thank you. <blushing> I DO try to entertain.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, great pics... I really liked this story.

I think a Kennedy half would make my week, but I'll sure be happy to find one of those new dollar coins, too. I did find a Sacagawea once, still a happy find :-)

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Rusted_Iron said:
Great post, great pics... I really liked this story.

I think a Kennedy half would make my week, but I'll sure be happy to find one of those new dollar coins, too. I did find a Sacagawea once, still a happy find :-)

I've found a few Indian maidens.. well I don't suppose you can call her a maiden, I mean she *WAS* a mother and even had her papoose with her on the expedition after all, but I digress. Yeah I've found a few Sacagawea Dollars since I began detecting a few years ago, and it's always a kick to find them. I probably sound like a broken record to some people on here, but finding even a pull tab gives me a bit of a thrill. Finding ANYTHING is fun. It's kind of like fishing. Any bite, any strike, any catch is exciting in and of itself. Sometimes you miss the fish, sometimes you reel in a little fish, sometimes (on rarer occasions) you reel in a BIG fish. It's all good. That's how I feel about detecting. It's all good! But sometimes you get the big fish, and sometimes it's just a normal or little fish... err coin. <grin> The important thing is to have fun no matter what you catch or dig up. Right? With that said..

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Rando said:
Outstanding, Sir.

::)
So... You found a Tippecanoe and Tyler too?
Or am I missing something?

Fellow long winded history buff here.
:icon_pirat:
No Tyler... that would have been quite a find though to be sure! I'm sure there were some sort of token or coin minted at the time, but I've never seen one or even heard of one to be honest. That might be something to look into.. hmmm google Tippecanoe and Tyler too campain slogans and paraphenalia. hmmmm.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D I thought I was gonna have to shake you and wake you up from a dream, Fro! Very entertaining story! Ya know, I found my first dollar coin last week too. I thought I had dug an old token or something. :P Still exciting to have found it, tho.

You did very well on that outing! Congrats!

Nana :)

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
allen said:
you know how to captivate an audience Frodov !!
And you know how to find lost things for certain !!

<blushing> Awwwww Geeez... Now if I can just find my mind... I think I lost it. <grin> A long long time ago.. in a galaxy far far aw... uh <rolling eyes> Sorry.. see? I've lost my mind again. <laughing>

Seriosly though, thank you for the kind words. I do try to express my joy and wonder with this hobby and all my adventures pursuing it. If it is entertaining to others to read my expressions, well that's all the better. I hope everyone has as much fun, or at least their own measure of fuh with this hobby we all so love. Get out and swing a little, dig a little, live a little.

... and as always..

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Nice post!!!! i like different.

P.S. You're mind is lost?...might try checking Tatooine, or possibly somewhere in Mirkwood......

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
lairmo said:
Nice post!!!! i like different.

P.S. You're mind is lost?...might try checking Tatooine, or possibly somewhere in Mirkwood......

Perhaps Middle Earth... <shrug> <laughing>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Sniffer said:
that is an awesome pile of clad, congrats

Thanks.. too bad every hunt can't be as productive.. either from Unique finds to quantity. Still though, I'd go detecting if I was only finding a fraction of that last hunt. It's an awful lot like fishing. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you find much (or catch much) at all, it's just the getting out and doing that is relaxing, fun and entertaining. Of course, you don't often see a metal detectorist walking around with a detector in one hand swinging away, and a beer in the other.. <laughing>I'm sure the local authorities might have something to say about that too. <falling out of chair laughing> That's one major, and I mean MAJOR difference between this hobby and fishing.. some people can go fishing without their fishing poles, but absolutely can not without their beer! <laughing> Oh sure, a detectorist will still end up with a bag full of empty cans... or can slaw.. but they weren't full when he or she picked them up. <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions