johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had permission to do a one-shot deal at a revolutionary Inn location where the yard was backdragged for a patio. Unfortunately when I arrived I learned the dozer went down below the old grade, and to top that, the soil was hauled away for fill. (insert crying smily face) There was one signal left in the oldest strata, an unrecognizable large copper (wider than a king George) that was missed. The other relics I found on the sloped perimeter which was cut away: the biggest key hole I ever saw (must have gone to the original 1760's tavern and the hole measures an inch and three quarters!) , a cloth weight; a nice 1864 Longacre variety Indian with a bold "Liberty", and the coolest object, a cast iron vertical bearing that had to have gone to the 1700's mill that once stood on the property. The army men belonged to a class mate who once lived there (and who I haven't seen in 45 years) and I'm going to wrap them up and send them to him with a little dirt attached! In all a pleasant way to spend my birthday!

Attachments

• today\'s finds.jpg
    today\'s finds.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 429
Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Birthday johnnyi :occasion15:

Nice patina on the Indian. Large copper and you call it modest finds :D The iron bearing is interesting. Just saying many would probably have junked that piece without knowing what it was. Looks like you had a great day :thumbsup:

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice. Like the army men. Congrats....

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"How deep would those finds have been below the present grade?" The only find that was left after skimming was the large copper. The rest were in the walls around the skimmed area at different levels. Army guys were shallow (thanks fellers)

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bet it was still a thrill to unearth a Colonial copper from the inn yard. :hello2: A copper is a copper and it adds to your collection. :icon_sunny: :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing!

Kirk :icon_thumleft:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I could use modest finds such as these....not bad at all

Top Member Reactions