watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 90% of my hunting is in the wooded areas around Chicago and this one particular site
hasn't disappointed me yet :thumbsup:

Every time I've hunted this site, I've been fortunate to recover a silver or two and at the worst,
an early Lincoln. But yesterday, was a hunt that I'll always remember.

While working my way through the Buckthorn, I got a solid quarter signal. . . from all angels. . . and
when I started digging, I took a wide birth to avoid several roots that were guarding my target.
After digging a hole about 7" deep and 12" wide, I felt I had all my bases covered so I scanned
the pile of dirt right next to the hole and got a solid repeatable tone.

I pin-pointed my target and saw a silver, reeded edge and the unmistakable arrows clenched within
an eagle's claw and I knew immediately I had found a Barber. I had no clue as to it's date so to
avoid any damaging scratches, I placed it in a plastic container and waited until I got home to reveal
it's date.

It was worth the wait. . . it was the oldest Barber I have ever found :)

Thanks for looking,
watercolor

Barber25.jpg

Attachments

• Barber25.jpg
    Barber25.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 3,908
Upvote 8

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
WOW is that coin in great condition!! Very nice find!
HH
Baggins

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
My book says AU 50 is $135 and MS 60 $230
AU 50 = About Uncirculated - Slight trace of wear above forehead on cheek and on eagles Head wings and tail.
MS 60 =Uncirculated no trace of wear light blemishes.

Thats a great find!!! I would say that it is Easily MS 60. Congrats on the find!!!

4seasons

Apr 14, 2009
Worthy of Banner just for the lesson of reminding us not to rub those questionable finds its hard to fight that urge. It would have been a shame to scratch that one. Great job on the find.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your excellent recovery method and the decision Not to field clean it made a BIG difference in how beautiful that coin looks. Congratulations on the finding, and even more congrats on proper recovery and cleaning. She's a looker.

Regards,

Buckles

I wonder how much more value my stuff would have if I could resist the temptation to find out what it is...

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I guess I got here to late to use the words I wanted to use to describe your find. It’s all been said already. Wow! Congrats!!! On the find and making banner!!!

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is in amazing shape. Nice

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watercolor...WOW...that is an amazing coin...I could only dream of finding a Barber in this condition...great hunt...Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread