Large Cent and some buttons at newly found site

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For about a year I have been wanting to do the long walk to what I was sure by the aerials was at least a early to mid 1800s homestead. Today I decided to tramp through the woods and find the place. As I got near where I thought the homestead should be the underbrush changed and I started seeing grapevines, which in our area is always a good sign of an old homestead.

I immediately got the typical iron hits and the first diggable reading turned out to be one of the two small cuff buttons I would find today. I saw a small depression, that might have been where the house stood and the iron hits were constant as I got closer to it. Lowered my sensitivity and got rewarded with a nice high tone indication possible big copper. It was, one crusty copper that I only knew that it was a Coronet type but could not read the date. I continued on and got two more buttons, some lead pieces, some whatisits and a broken finial, near the fringe of the homestead I got a great reading and thought it would be the second large cent but no, it was a large late 1700s button with a nice geometric design on it.

Overall, the homestead is not too big, but I am sure on a followup hunt or two some more goodies will be found.

Upon cleaning the finds today, besides the big design button, one of the other buttons turned out to be a beautiful floral design one piece button and the Large Cent appears to be a Newcomb 11 variety of 1828. I was a bit surprised when I checked my records, that I did not have a 1828, so the coin filled a hole in my collection, made the day even better......

Don

Attachments

• Site242October8.jpg
    Site242October8.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 1,056
  • Site242grapevines.jpg
    Site242grapevines.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 1,070
  • 1828LargeCentSite242.jpg
    1828LargeCentSite242.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 1,058
  • CoinAndButtonsBefAft.jpg
    CoinAndButtonsBefAft.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Site242Designbutton.jpg
    Site242Designbutton.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 1,061
  • LargeCentSite242.jpg
    LargeCentSite242.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • Site242FindsOct8th2009.jpg
    Site242FindsOct8th2009.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 1,044
  • Site242CleanedFinds.jpg
    Site242CleanedFinds.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 1,037
Upvote 0

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Don,the buttons are cool and the copper SUPER! :notworthy: And love your mastery at bring them baby's back to life! :notworthy: :notworthy: :headbang: Yea the vine deal is always a true sign of were somthing once was, here anyway.No matter how old or even how many times timbered once it grows back it always has a different look then the surroundings.Smaller trees viney area etc.I guess man leaves his print on land for a long time.Man I still like the way you brought that coin back. Great Preservation! :thumbsup:
Timekiller! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That Matron Head is one beauty of a coin! You have been filling some nice holes in your collection lately, with the 1809 half cent a few weeks back and now this.

I was surprised at the size of the large button when compared to the LC. Most likely a coat button I presume?

I am also curious about the tubular shaped object with the mounting holes on it. I recently found a similar piece.

Great finds & Good luck on your return!

Neil

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great condition on that large cent...good luck when you go back.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Those are nice finds any day Don

Quick question. Are you useing a gps. And are you using a atv. More will come out of there. The large cent looks great. Them buttons are very nice also.

HH Jer

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Nice Going Don ! That's a Great Day's worth of hunting in my book. Congrats on the neat finds. That Large Cent is a Beauty :thumbsup:

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
WOW DON LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD A GREAT HUNT!!! MAN YA GOTTA LOVE THAT SITE. DOENT VINES MEAN SOMEONE WAS SPITTING GRAPES? THE SEEDS I MEAN? AWESOME HUNT BUDDY. WILLY

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
CONGRATS! nice lc..... hard to come by down south.Those homesites are one of my fav sites to hunt.

keep diggin.....looking forward for more.

Randall

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is good to see you out again, Don. With that large Colonial button, that site holds Colonials. :icon_thumleft: Kyle and I each found a nice copper last Sunday, but we haven't had time to post them yet. Computer problems. >:(

Kirk

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds Don.I've been finding quite a few of the large buttons at my latest site.....several different desighns.I'm going to make a display soon and I was wondering how you cleaned that one......looks good. :thumbsup: I was thinking of having some of my buttons reguilded....whatcha think ?

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kieser sousa/rip said:
Nice assortment of finds Don.I've been finding quite a few of the large buttons at my latest site.....several different desighns.I'm going to make a display soon and I was wondering how you cleaned that one......looks good. :thumbsup: I was thinking of having some of my buttons reguilded....whatcha think ?

All buttons went into hot peroxide and lots of wet q-tips afterwords and then more peroxide and then a soak for a few hours in water. Then thoroughly dried and put Blue Ribbon on, let dry and buff, but I actually prefer Bees wax on the buttons and then buff........
As far a reguilding a button, heck why not, for your display it just might make a beautiful centerpiece, or you just leave em as is, there yours, so it is your choice, noone else.

Note for Buckles, I noticed the little gilt left on the backside of one these buttons improved with the use of blue ribbon, it removed dirt that did not come off with normal q-tip cleaning, (an expensive substitute for Al or Naval Jelly LOL)
Don

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don. :thumbsup: I've been thinking about the reguilding for awile....If I do I'll post the results.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds...you really know how to bring the best out of those coppers!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
The piece with the screw holes in it, I have no idea what it was from, not very heavy duty though.
Don

Don,

The piece with the screw holes in it is a ramrod channel. That's a good keeper as well. :)

channel.jpg

http://www.horsesoldier.com/catalog/c0091.html

Great hunt, and great photos you posted. I really enjoyed reading.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Attachments

• channel.jpg
    channel.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 563

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice id on the ramrod channel Buckles! That little piece in the lower right of Don's picture wouldn't be ramrod related too would it?

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:
Nice id on the ramrod channel Buckles! That little piece in the lower right of Don's picture wouldn't be ramrod related too would it?

The piece in the lower right? I assumed that was a .410 gauge shell, really have not looked at it closely, still have it in the junk box so will look later.

Ooops, no can find, maybe it went in file 13 or the kitten stole it. :D

Don

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
What a nice site to hunt. That LC Kicks Butt........WTG.. and Congrats... :thumbsup: jgas

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, super nice finds. What did you use and how did you get them so clean? Breezie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread