Large Cent and some buttons at newly found site

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For about a year I have been wanting to do the long walk to what I was sure by the aerials was at least a early to mid 1800s homestead. Today I decided to tramp through the woods and find the place. As I got near where I thought the homestead should be the underbrush changed and I started seeing grapevines, which in our area is always a good sign of an old homestead.

I immediately got the typical iron hits and the first diggable reading turned out to be one of the two small cuff buttons I would find today. I saw a small depression, that might have been where the house stood and the iron hits were constant as I got closer to it. Lowered my sensitivity and got rewarded with a nice high tone indication possible big copper. It was, one crusty copper that I only knew that it was a Coronet type but could not read the date. I continued on and got two more buttons, some lead pieces, some whatisits and a broken finial, near the fringe of the homestead I got a great reading and thought it would be the second large cent but no, it was a large late 1700s button with a nice geometric design on it.

Overall, the homestead is not too big, but I am sure on a followup hunt or two some more goodies will be found.

Upon cleaning the finds today, besides the big design button, one of the other buttons turned out to be a beautiful floral design one piece button and the Large Cent appears to be a Newcomb 11 variety of 1828. I was a bit surprised when I checked my records, that I did not have a 1828, so the coin filled a hole in my collection, made the day even better......

Don

Attachments

• Site242October8.jpg
    Site242October8.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 1,056
  • Site242grapevines.jpg
    Site242grapevines.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 1,070
  • LargeCentSite242.jpg
    LargeCentSite242.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • Site242Designbutton.jpg
    Site242Designbutton.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 1,061
  • CoinAndButtonsBefAft.jpg
    CoinAndButtonsBefAft.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 1828LargeCentSite242.jpg
    1828LargeCentSite242.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 1,058
  • Site242FindsOct8th2009.jpg
    Site242FindsOct8th2009.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 1,044
  • Site242CleanedFinds.jpg
    Site242CleanedFinds.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 1,037
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheBreeze426 said:
Wow, super nice finds. What did you use and how did you get them so clean? Breezie

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,39135.0.html reply #2 not all coins come out well, the coin is what it is when found, if corroded and damaged, no removal of dirt in the world will make the coin better, true detail is never lost in this method, only corroded details will be lost if overcleaned. If the coin or button is solid underneath, peroxide, and wet qtips will get the dirt off and soaking in water will then help neutralize the remaining corrosive elements, thorough drying and then applying if needed a protective coating of some type, like bees wax or Blue Ribbon coin conditioner.

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Don In S.J. posts are always awesome !

I enjoy the 'on site' photos and the variety of finds you make !

Keep diggin the Garden state Don :icon_thumleft:

D.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool post...love the large cents

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow she cleaned up nice! nice finds don keep it up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Beautiful large cent, Don! :headbang: That large Colonial button is always a good sign of 1700s American large cents lurking nearby. I'm looking forward to your future hunts there. Something is telling me that you will recover a Liberty Cap.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful avatar coin, by the way. :notworthy:

M