Large Cent and some buttons at newly found site

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For about a year I have been wanting to do the long walk to what I was sure by the aerials was at least a early to mid 1800s homestead. Today I decided to tramp through the woods and find the place. As I got near where I thought the homestead should be the underbrush changed and I started seeing grapevines, which in our area is always a good sign of an old homestead.

I immediately got the typical iron hits and the first diggable reading turned out to be one of the two small cuff buttons I would find today. I saw a small depression, that might have been where the house stood and the iron hits were constant as I got closer to it. Lowered my sensitivity and got rewarded with a nice high tone indication possible big copper. It was, one crusty copper that I only knew that it was a Coronet type but could not read the date. I continued on and got two more buttons, some lead pieces, some whatisits and a broken finial, near the fringe of the homestead I got a great reading and thought it would be the second large cent but no, it was a large late 1700s button with a nice geometric design on it.

Overall, the homestead is not too big, but I am sure on a followup hunt or two some more goodies will be found.

Upon cleaning the finds today, besides the big design button, one of the other buttons turned out to be a beautiful floral design one piece button and the Large Cent appears to be a Newcomb 11 variety of 1828. I was a bit surprised when I checked my records, that I did not have a 1828, so the coin filled a hole in my collection, made the day even better......

Don

Attachments

• Site242October8.jpg
    Site242October8.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 1,056
  • Site242grapevines.jpg
    Site242grapevines.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 1,070
  • LargeCentSite242.jpg
    LargeCentSite242.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • Site242Designbutton.jpg
    Site242Designbutton.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 1,061
  • CoinAndButtonsBefAft.jpg
    CoinAndButtonsBefAft.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 1828LargeCentSite242.jpg
    1828LargeCentSite242.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 1,058
  • Site242FindsOct8th2009.jpg
    Site242FindsOct8th2009.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 1,044
  • Site242CleanedFinds.jpg
    Site242CleanedFinds.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 1,037
Upvote 0

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome Finds, I always Love the buttons. Just curious, the piece with the screw holes, could it be a decorative piece for a musket?

Nova Treasure

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Very nice piece of sleuthing that site which you were rewarded for. :thumbsup: With such a dense tree canopy, I'm amazed that you were able to recognize a homestead from aerial imagery. :icon_scratch:

Jim

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Don :icon_thumright:
I love the pictures too as you know i love to see the site the finds are made in ;D
Love the buttons and the coin is fantastic,congrats on a GOOD walk today.
I hope you and Dan make out great this fall too.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its got to be a thrill to be the first to uncover a long lost homestead, especially when it pays off with some great finds. That 1828 coronet is a beauty, and the cleaning work outstanding as usual. Congratulations on filling out an opening in your LC collection. When you look at aerial photos in search of an old homestead, what clues do you look for?

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece with the screw holes in it, I have no idea what it was from, not very heavy duty though. The aerial maps I use are rather good for some of the counties in my area and if the photos were taken in winter, it really makes some possible homesteads stand out in the woods by the outline you can see, sometimes easily, sometimes it takes a trained eye. Sometimes what looks like an overgrown site is an area that was lumbered out years ago also. :(

Don

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Awesome buttons and it's not often I see you post a Coronet. To find a first in that particular year is a nice additional achievement.
Chris

I just checked my records and this year 11 US Large Cents so far, and the 1828 is the newest one found this year...

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don, congratuations on the finds, which must seem even sweeter after the detective work! You've sure got a nack for cleaning these things up nicely too. That 1828 is a beaut, as are the buttons. If the place was rich enough to have brass drawer pulls and pewter spoons you can bet you'll find more around there. Good luck!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again great research leads to great finds. Congrats! :thumbsup:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, wonderful finds :thumbsup:
I'd be happy finding ONE Large Cent. . . It would definitely make my year :)

I wish the forested areas around Chicago were as clean. . . the Buckthorn around
some of our older wooded areas have dampened many a hunt.

All the best on your future hunts :icon_sunny:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome old coin there congrats.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow where do I begin? First thanks for the site pics (those are always nice to see) plus what a sweet LC and even better cleaning job and photos side by side before and after. I wish every post was like this! Then again if every day was a sunny day then what is a sunny day.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pictures & really nice finds, Don! Wish the LC"s around here came out looking like
that!
That button is huge....makes the LC look small! :thumbsup:
Dale

Jim-IN

Apr 28, 2007
Outstanding finds. LC's to me are the ultimate finds to be made here in IN. Silver's nice but the history of the LC's and who could of lost them really make you think. Your cleanup method is truly amazing.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt and pics! :thumbsup:

I wish we had wooded areas like that, everywhere here is very thick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread