What are YOU doing here? UPDATED-Pics

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
~I know most of you have seen a 1937 wheat before. This is my first try at posting pics so this is just a test.~

I've been looking for jewelry lately so I've been hitting this huge park that has about 8 or 9 full size soccer fields in it. (Never realized how big those suckers are! :o) Been working out this one field this week, mostly finding clad and pretty deep considering: 4 even 5 inches. So imagine my surprise when I pulled a 1937 wheat cent at 3 inches. :icon_scratch: It just goes to show ya, treasure is everywhere! This park wasn't started until 1978 and there was nothing of historical importance on that side of town prior to the park. (that i know of) So pretty unusual. Probably somebodies lucky penny that they lost. Haven't found any jewelry yet, but I do plan on hunting every field and I'll let y'all know when I find something good. HH

~Texasgopher

Attachments

• IMG_0865 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0865 - Copy.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,631
  • IMG_0866 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0866 - Copy.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,623
  • IMG_0867 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0867 - Copy.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 1,631
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What are YOU doing here?

Was not many years ago you could still get wheats in change. :laughing7:

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D :D

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I hear ya about the size of soccer fields...but those dang pennies are all over the country side. A few weeks ago I was detecting at the swimming area of a lake that was just built in 1993 and it was nothing but farm ground and pastures before that. I dug a no date Indian head cent, you could have knocked me over with feather. There was never any houses for miles in any direction of that spot, I guess someone just happened to drop a penny there a 100 years ago or so. You never know what you're gonna find or where you are gonna find it. That's what I love about metal detecting :thumbsup:

HH Charlie

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

I got a 47 wheatie when I went to get my morning coffee at the local quick trip

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

48 wheat in change from coffee the other day.

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500

The Beep Goes On said:
I love soccer fields. Check this out...might give you some ideas on which areas have the most potential.

http://www.thebeepgoeson.com/display.asp?page=Finds_Loc

Hey thanks beep! That's really cool and I love your site! I'll have to do something like that myself.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking about the wheat. I still find a ton of them when I CRH pennies. Just have never found one THAT old in a park THAT new. Thanks for all the comments and HH!

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks TG. I found a merc and a rosie in a modern park...about the same age as your park. The best I can figure is that they came in with the fill dirt when they created the fields.

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500

The Beep Goes On said:
Thanks TG. I found a merc and a rosie in a modern park...about the same age as your park. The best I can figure is that they came in with the fill dirt when they created the fields.

Hey, I never thought of that before. Quite possible. Ya know if that is true then no area, in a developed neighborhood, would really be any better than anywhere else. Even say a business building that has very modern landscaping could be hiding old stuff. Just a thought.

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

Ya know what?? We have a soccer field here in my town,, been working it for about a year, dug 40-50 dollars worth of clad on it!!!

A few months back I got a deep signal,,, about 8" I pulled a indian head out of it :icon_scratch: 1800's 98-99,, cant remember! ,,,,but that blew

me away,,, must have been hauled in !!! :icon_scratch:,,,,,,

anywho have a good one,,~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Swing ahead,,,,

arthur

digincali

Mar 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Was not many years ago you could still get wheats in change. :laughing7:

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D :D

I just got back from the convenience store with a 58 in my change, third one this year i believe.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
T-gopher, you got the right attitude, for sure.
You'll find the bling, just keep swingin. It's there waiting for you.
Keep us posted. :thumbsup:

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
phantomfinder said:
You can still find them around , You have to buy bags of pennys to find them . WTG on your find :icon_thumright:

Heck, I work in a c-store and not a day goes by that I couldn't pull out at least 5 wheaties a shift. oldest one I found was a 1919, but so scuffed up
and scratched the date was barely legible

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread