One and a half belt plates

kevinm63

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2008
sw michigan
Detector(s) used
whites dfx, spectrum, fisher f-75
Was out hunting with a friend a few nights ago, we decided to hunt a couple of 1860s home sites. After a few minutes I got a good tone that ended up being an 1864 indian. A little later I got a good tone about 9 inches, after opening the hole I could see an "s" on something in the bottom of the hole. After pulling it out and brushing the dirt off I realized it was a US belt plate that had been cut in half. I'm thinking its a good night. We decided to call it a night. On the way back to the car we decided to check a site across the road that was also an 1860s site. After a few minutes my friend dug a 1853 large cent, a few minutes later I get a good tone at about 10 inches. After digging about a foot down a whole US plate fell into the bottom of the hole. I couldn't believe it. I have been hunting for about 20 years and have never dug a belt plate here in Michigan, and in one night at two different sites I dug two. Actually one and a half. What a great night.

Attachments

• 101_3129.JPG
    101_3129.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 880
  • 101_3133.JPG
    101_3133.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 874
Upvote 0

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
That's frikin' awesome!! I dug a CS belt buckle on a Saturday & then an eagle breast pate, the next day (Easter Sunday) in '89 or'90 @ the same site... I have yet to find a US plate or buckle... I got started when my assistant principle from my middle school found a perfect US box plate in my yard. I begged & pleaded my parents for a new metal detector for Christmas.......That Christmas day I found close to a hundred dropped 3 ringers & an entire sword scabbard, minus the leather, all from my own yard!!!!

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for leaving the other half in the ground for me to find when we go next! Good work Kevin, well-deserved, it took you long enough :laughing7:.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is an awsome night. Man my heart couldn't take a half, much less 1 and a half. WOW. Good stuff. Congrats. :thumbsup:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It just doesn't get much better than this.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome man!!!! I have only dreamed about finding those!!!!! Way to go!! :headbang:

CWKEITH1

Dec 18, 2008
nice finds how come you never ask me to go with you anymore i'm going to look for a another partner lol really great night wasn't it super finds kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread