From Wed. and Thurs.

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are a few pictures from my MDing exploits from Wed. and Thursday. About 10 hours total. The oldest find was a 1950 wheat penny. This is also my oldest coin to date. Pretty sad huh, but I gotta start somewhere. I have a question for some of you veteran detectors. Where are the nickels? I am digging the pull tabs, but no nickels. They give the same signal on my detector. I could understand if I had the aluminum notched out but... any advice? I also dug a lot of questionable signals/targets to learn the peculiarity's of the machine. It seems to be pretty accurate but I am still not satisfied yet. Scared to pass up the one that may be the find of the day.

I haven't been on TNET for about 6 months, give or take, because I was busy accomplishing a goal that I set out to do at the beginning of the year and it took most of my time. This is the first detecting I have done in that time frame and it was fun, and I have the sunburn to prove it. Wednesday I went to a little park by lock and dam 5 on the Arkansas river. Either that place has been worked over or it is just not very busy people wise. I dug everything after determining if it was trash or not, just to see how many times I was right. 52 cents was all I left with. This was where I dug the wheat penny at.
10-8-09junk.jpg

10-8-09.jpg

Thursday I went to Tar camp park, which is just above lock and dam 5 a couple of miles, and a much bigger and better park. But again, it has either been picked over or Arkansas people are very protective of their possessions. I only found 36 cents at that park, and I was there a long time. I made a friend with a little boy about 3 yrs. old named Skyler who was very interested in what I was doing. After assuring his Grandma that he was not bothering me we went on a treasure hunt. After digging much trash, I finally found a penny, 1976, that we dug up together and I gave to him. When he realized that it was a penny he was really excited and ran to his Grandma waving it around and hollering that we had found "moneys". They took that time to leave and then I was alone to continue my trash hunting. I still can't believe how "dry" that park, particularly the tot lot, was. I stopped by my brother's house on the way home and found $1.04 in his yard. Maybe I should go there more often. ;D
10-9-09.jpg
changefrom10-9-09.jpg

Thanks for looking and listening and Happy Hunting to all.

Here are a few pictures for old times sake from my chosen profession. Hope you guys like.

This is how to NOT make a bridge...
cheryl.jpg
cherylstegbauerPoppsferrybridge.jpg
cherylbridge.jpg

Thank goodness the bridge pier was there or he would have taken out the marina! The empty spot on the head of the tow is because the starboard lead barge sunk right there. No injuries or loss of life.

capt1989

Upvote 0

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Nice pics! That's intense, were you there when it happend? Anyway, nickles are a finicky coin no matter what. they can read right on a nickle, sometimes they also read like a pull tab and jump all over the place :dontknow:. My detecting partner dug a Buffalo that read like a quarter and believe my there was no other metal/coins around it, we checked. Just keep at it and you will find them. HH
:icon_thumright:

TG

OP
OP
capt1989

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Texasgopher,

No, I wasn't there but I was on watch on my boat when it happened and word came down what was going on. I wouldn't wish a mistake like that on anyone. That is one of my company's (my employer's) boats. Thanks for the information.

capt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions