Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't be a sissy old man..get in & stomp those weeds & gooseberry bushes Down

I've been detecting at Oronoco Park and found a few coins the last eight times there. The first three I got today and the others were in the last hunts.
Today in the woods I got the 1890 Indian Head Cent first and then I looked at all the gooseberry bushes and the weeds and thought I better give it a try. I got in an area about 8 X 12 thick with weeds and gooseberry bushes and started stomping them down and in about 10 minutes I get sweet tone and dig 4 inches down and out poped a half dollar coin. I took it to the lake to wash it off and could see it was a 1918-D Walking Liberty Half Dollar. About an hour later I got the 1919 Wheat Cent.

Attachments

• Silver Friday 001.JPG
    Silver Friday 001.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,161
  • Silver Friday 003.JPG
    Silver Friday 003.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Silver Friday 004.JPG
    Silver Friday 004.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,129
  • Silver Friday 009.JPG
    Silver Friday 009.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,129
  • Silver Friday 005.JPG
    Silver Friday 005.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,131
  • Silver Friday 002.JPG
    Silver Friday 002.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Mon. Oct.05 001.JPG
    Mon. Oct.05 001.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,121
  • Mon. Oct.05 003.JPG
    Mon. Oct.05 003.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,134
  • Mon. Oct.05 005.JPG
    Mon. Oct.05 005.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,099
Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

Re: Don't be a sissy old man..get in & stomp those weeds & gooseberry bushes Down

Gotta love the old coins. Bet you hunt that spot more.

Thanks for posting the pics.

HH

Cap Z.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Don't be a sissy old man..get in & stomp those weeds & gooseberry bushes Down

Great finds congrats.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Take a weed whacker off in there and tear that place down so you can get to those coins!!!!! Nice finds!! :laughing7:

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Great finds, RD !

Glad you were rewarded for your hard work...

Rather than a noisy string trimmer, which could draw attention, you might try a machete, sickle, or a scythe to get through those obstacles. Sounds like you've discovered a great site.

Thanks for the nice post w/pics.

Best
rmptr

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Cappy Z. said:
Gotta love the old coins. Bet you hunt that spot more.

Thanks for posting the pics.

HH

Cap Z.
Thanks Cappy Z. I got a few nice coins from there even that 1918/7-S SLQ. There has been quite a few detecting around there and only seen a few of there finds. A couple of weeks ago a guy got a seated dime from there. I'll be going back for sure.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wingmaster said:
Great finds congrats.
Thanks wingmaster.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bigtim1973 said:
Take a weed whacker off in there and tear that place down so you can get to those coins!!!!! Nice finds!! :laughing7:
I would like to do that with a weed whacker but the way I did it today didn't realy hurt the gooseberry plants. They will survive besides I like eating them gooseberries when they are green.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

rmptr said:
Great finds, RD !

Glad you were rewarded for your hard work...

Rather than a noisy string trimmer, which could draw attention, you might try a machete, sickle, or a scythe to get through those obstacles. Sounds like you've discovered a great site.

Thanks for the nice post w/pics.

Best
rmptr
Thanks rmptr.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Better yet, apply some agent-orange so that you can get at them . WTG Roger on that beauty of a half. Surely there's more coins hiding from you :laughing7:

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur

Nice walker! You gotta brave the weeds and bushes sometimes to get what others have passed by. I wish I had your luck!!!!

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

crazyjarhead said:
Better yet, apply some agent-orange so that you can get at them . WTG Roger on that beauty of a half. Surely there's more coins hiding from you :laughing7:
Thanks crazyjarhead.The coins are there and hard to find with all the weeds.There was a few times I thought it was all worked out and I'll still be hitting it untill I find a new spot.

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

time4me said:
Nice walker! You gotta brave the weeds and bushes sometimes to get what others have passed by. I wish I had your luck!!!!
Thanks time4me. The luck is having an old site that had a 1920's dance hall and it was a state park at one time and the many hours spent digging everything and taking out the trash. Some days not finding anything.This park used to be full of people every day when I was a kid. Today I only seen 4 people in 6 1/2 hrs. There used to be 20 to 30 people swimming there in the 50's and 60's and haven't seen anyone in the water all summer.

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000

Sweet Coins and Well Worth the Work ! WTG

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

just goes to show, with a little work comes the rewards

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Don't be a sissy old man..get in & stomp those weeds & gooseberry bushes Dow

Nice photos. I have gone to "hunted out" places. I survey the land and try to imagine what areas have not been hit heavily by others due to incline, vegetation, inconvenient etc. The area may have been totally clear 50 years ago but overgrown now...I have had a fair amount of sucess with this strategy.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds. Congrats on the Walker. :icon_thumright:

Stumpbreaker

Mar 11, 2009
Eugene, oregon
Detector(s) used
DFX, Binford 2000

Nice coin finds, I would by mighty happy with those kind of finds, what is gooseberry, is it anything like blackberry vine................dan :thumbsup:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well done...good condition as well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread