Rest of the stuff so far ...

J

jlar

You guys have seen the large cents (last post) ... thought you might like seeing the rest found at this place .....
-pocket knives (I believe them both to be keen kutters)
-watch fob and clip
-gold pocket watch (elgin) (found the date by the serial number but don't remember now ... 1917 ish I think)
-1925 Merc
-1925 Buff
-1929 Buff
-pair of 1917 Walking Libs (they were in the same hole as the merc and one of the buffs
-7 scovill buttons (still trying to id them to pre or post civil war
-colgate rouge container
-assorted items ... wheaties, pieces of harnesses, couple other buttons

Hope to upgrade the old garrett gta 1000 soon and go back over the place ... thinking about a DFX ... time and budget permitting :D
Hope you enjoy ...

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Spectacular collection! Keep up the good work! Does the watch case have works in it, or is it empty?

OP
OP
J

jlar

Lab rat ...

the watch has the works ... it is complete except for the glass face (I went back to see if it was there but didn't find it). Unforturnately the works are seriously corroded. It took awhile to clean up enough to read the serial number and such. It has been one of my favorite finds even in the condition it is in because I love the old watches.

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
jlar, nice finds. Those buttons are New Hampshire Militia buttons. and look to be a NH2A in Alberts button books. If you can give me exactly what it says on the button back, I might be able to date them for you., Let me know....Lance

OP
OP
J

jlar

Hi Lance,

I posted pics of the buttons awhile back in the "What is it" section and got some info from Buckram. The backs say "Scovill MF'G Co Waterbury". I have seen similiar ones for New Hampshire but they all said "Vol Militia" on them ... these do not. I contacted the Waterbury Button company and they sent me a pattern that they have on file but it is not an exact match to the ones that I have ... the people on the front are much larger.

Any info you can provide would be appreciated. Seems like a hard nut to crack.

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Jlar, I can put your buttons within 15 years. The Scovill Mf'g Co. Waturbury was used between 1850 and 1865. The only one that shows in Alberts book has the Vol. Militia on the bottom. You may have a rare one there!!! Hope this helps a bit...Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions