Old weird token with horse on it, Farley Coin, Any ideas.....

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hey guys
i went to this 1800's farm house today and come up with this in the front yard. It is copper about the size of a half dollar. It has what looks like a horses head with some strange symbols and one side. The other side looks like the bust of a women wearing a wreath around her head.
I have no idea what it could be.
any information would be great.
Thanks
Keith

Attachments

• token 2.JPG
    token 2.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 3,700
  • token 1.JPG
    token 1.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 3,802
Upvote 2
OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Re: Old weird token with horse on it, Help......

SWR said:
Oroblanco said:
If I had found this, I would spend the money and send it to a certified expert in ancient coins - David Sear. A link was posted in the other thread to his site. If David Sear says it is 1900's Sears Roebuck jewelry, I would take that as conclusive - on the other hand if Sear says it is in fact ancient, I would take that as the final word. Otherwise we are relying on opinions of people who are not recognized experts in the field of ancient Punic coins, and subject to errors.
Oroblanco

PS If I could afford it, I would offer to buy your coin amigo, VERY COOL and IMHO it could be ancient! :thumbsup:

Wow. Talk about a double-back-flip-flop

Your opinion, as humble as it is, could be subject to error. The fantasy fonts and other noticeable traits of non-authentic ancient coinage are obvious to even non-recognized experts in the field of ancient Punic coins.

im just curious what it is. I think im going to send it out to someone to get an idea of its age. My gut tells me its not a genuine ancient coin, but rather the unknown reproductions that some have mentioned. Either way this has to go down as my most unusual find, for no other reason, that myself and many other truely have no idea what the hell it is difinitively

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Man...i spent many hours of my life reading about the last Farley coin....
It might not be a "real' banner, but i would bet that EVERYONE on T-NET would love to make this find right about now!!!!!!

Lairmo

No holes indicate that there may have been a specialized ancient coin reproducer (of limited copies) in around the late 1800's that didn't mass produce EXACT coins.
This great find here in this thread has more denticles than HH's holed piece. We have seen many variations of this coin so far. I would rule out a Large scale company like Sears & Roebuck. I also went through my catalogs with nothing close to these mysteries.
The fact that over the years very few have showed up, indicates a small amount produced. I also wanted to mention that I feel HH's find from Wisconsin, appears like it was cleaned and is porous with some corrosion that has been worn down from scrubbing OR it could have been found on the lake shore which looks like that from being in the sand.
People of the time would "hole" these pieces just like they did with circulating coins. How many were made is unknown since there seems to be no record of them being made. Victorian limited edition ancient coins. NOT mass produced for big companies of the time.

To those who dream of these ancient visitors coming to America.... Maybe someone stumbled upon a cache of Carthaginian coins in the late 1800's and sold them as jewelry pieces? It's a sliiiiiight chance!!
Who knows. :dontknow:

Ugotit22, That's a nice find and your coin gives provenance to the understanding that it was found in a 1870's house site and could date to the late 1800's or early 1900's. It seems that your find is quite scarce. SO FAR!!! ::)
Congratulations!
Dave.

Nice photo work. Even if they are the same, there are still very few of them around to be mass produced.
They seem more unique than a Sears & Roebuck stock piece. Maybe they were sold at big events like The World's Fair or some sort of exhibition/tourist shop. :dontknow:
Dave.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
SWR wrote
[quoteOnly the flan is different][/quote]

I respectfully disagree here, one look at the mane of the horse at the top of the head (look closely) and you will see one of the "hair" ends pointing UP while the other ends pointing DOWN in a curl. They are similar, not identical coins.

Oroblanco

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking at where the head was cut off.

On the dug coin the angle is two straight lines coming to a point. On the good clean coin the bottom angle has a curve to it, the line is not straight.

Two different dies made these coins.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Re: Old weird token with horse on it, Help......

SWR said:
ugotit22 said:
SWR said:
Oroblanco said:
If I had found this, I would spend the money and send it to a certified expert in ancient coins - David Sear. A link was posted in the other thread to his site. If David Sear says it is 1900's Sears Roebuck jewelry, I would take that as conclusive - on the other hand if Sear says it is in fact ancient, I would take that as the final word. Otherwise we are relying on opinions of people who are not recognized experts in the field of ancient Punic coins, and subject to errors.
Oroblanco

PS If I could afford it, I would offer to buy your coin amigo, VERY COOL and IMHO it could be ancient! :thumbsup:

Wow. Talk about a double-back-flip-flop

Your opinion, as humble as it is, could be subject to error. The fantasy fonts and other noticeable traits of non-authentic ancient coinage are obvious to even non-recognized experts in the field of ancient Punic coins.

im just curious what it is. I think im going to send it out to someone to get an idea of its age. My gut tells me its not a genuine ancient coin, but rather the unknown reproductions that some have mentioned. Either way this has to go down as my most unusual find, for no other reason, that myself and many other truely have no idea what the hell it is difinitively

Well, we more or less know what it isn't. The who made it or why did they make it is the elusive part.

Anyways....any chance of getting sharper and clearer pictures?

hey guys
i am going to take closer sharper pix prob 2morrow if not sat.
But has far as cleaning it, i dont think im going to mess with it anymore, my experience is the more you screw with coppers, the worse they get
il post more pics though

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Curious The George said:

On the dug coin the angle is two straight lines coming to a point. On the good clean coin the bottom angle has a curve to it, the line is not straight.

Different angles down here?

Yes, that is what I meant on the left side.

And if you look at the figure that kind of resembles ice tongs below the horse, they are different.

The dug coin the two upright sides has a waist like a Playboy bunny. The clean coin those two lines are fairly straight.

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
There seems to be more coin area between the nose and the edge of the coin on his than mine has and also my coin has more space between the roots and the coin edge than his. Just another observation I made if it makes any difference.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The CESHIRE CONN. COIN and the WISCONSIN COIN look identical to me, except it was struck more to the right. (You can see the denticals on the left side of the CESHIRE COIN). Any differences are too close to call IMO.

BTW ugotit22, what type of metal do you think this is and do you feel it is plated over base metal? Hard to tell by the pic.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Muddyhandz said:
To those who dream of these ancient visitors coming to America.... Maybe someone stumbled upon a cache of Carthaginian coins in the late 1800's and sold them as jewelry pieces? It's a sliiiiiight chance!!
Who knows. :dontknow:
No, because Professor McMenamin examined a mint coin, the MAINE COIN, "that still retained mint luster under a lacquer coating. Thus no way can this be an ancient bronze coin".

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious The George said:

Yes I agree :thumbsup: the mouth looks different also :)

SS

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Dont forget that after repeated strikes dies can become worn and/or filled. Castings can be filled as well causing minor differences. Corrosion can also be a factor. Not to mention pics can be a bit deceiving. What we know for sure is these are not hammered coins.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
bigcypresshunter said:
The CESHIRE CONN. COIN and the WISCONSIN COIN look identical to me, except it was struck more to the right. (You can see the denticals on the left side of the CESHIRE COIN). Any differences are too close to call IMO.

BTW ugotit22, what type of metal do you think this is and do you feel it is plated over base metal? Hard to tell by the pic.

seems to be copper to me. i doubt it is plated with any other metal. It has the characteristics of a large cent.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Silver Searcher said:
Has anybody posted what the legend is :dontknow: this link below has translations for Punic Legends on Carthaganian Coins, the ones on the Item posted look different :dontknow: http://www.ancient-coins.com/resourcedetail.asp?rsc=4#370-264 BC: Early Siculo-Punic Bronze Coinage

SS
Yes an interesting link you found SS. According to Mark Parker, it reads "people of the camp". ancient legend5.jpg Thats another reason to believe its fake because the lettering is fantasy.

headcutoff.jpg ancient legend5.jpg

It does make me wonder who made these and why. ??? People of the camp? ...dangling roots?...

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
bigcypresshunter said:

It is not plated over a base metal and I'm not sure if it's bronze or copper, but probably copper.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Hey guys
im going to post new pics 2night around 8. Just wanted to see if anyone new anything else about this coin
New news or anything?
Keith

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
u got it you found it its already famous that makes it a realy most excellent find what ever its decided to be congrats to the max :wav:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread