1876 to 1885 tags for something any ideas

grimroofer

Dec 14, 2007
kihei maui
Detector(s) used
xlt- surf master - tiger shark-sand shark
i went on a birthday hunt yesterday and it spilled over to today darn lol i found a 1891 V nickel and some wheat's a bunch of horse shoes 2 rusted spurs and a pile of junk but the things that are getting me are these tags i put them on what is it but no good i found them at an old unused church 1862 founded they seem to have a crown with a cross in front any help is appreciated

Attachments

• DSC00741.JPG
    DSC00741.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 790
  • DSC00741.JPG
    DSC00741.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 776
  • DSC00742.JPG
    DSC00742.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 775
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either a moratorium tag or some sort of tax tag is my guess.

slykatt13

May 16, 2009
ny
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 50/minelab safari
i think there coat check tags for a hotel.i could be wrong.nice finds

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
church humm -- the crown looks like the --" hawiian crown" --- a type used by the old hawiian royality --- the church might have been set up and supported by planters * ( american , british or german maybe) most planters were foreigners and set up churches for converting the local hawaiians to their religions ( it helped them gain control of them via religion -- (the preachers told the hawaiians to be meek and peaceful and go along as part of their convertion "process")--the outside "bussiness" planter faction ( basically a ultra wealthy bunch of robber baron types) illegally over threw the king and took over control of the hawiian islands by causing "unrest" from within --then "demanding" the usa land troops to take over since things had "broken down" and the king was not "in control" anymore --once the US military "intervened" --the queen was forced to sign over all powers to the us govt --basically she was held in house arrest for "her protection" until she did so. -- it was similar to the way the native american indain "land grabs" were done -- white "bussiness" land grabbers want land that the indains by right of "treaty" have ---so the white land grabbers tresspass upon it and cause "unrest" then demand that the US Military be brought in to "do" something about the indain "unrest" that breaks the treaty --the next thing you know the "trouble making" indains are rounded up and shipped of to some bleak hell hole and the lands been grabbed . -- old school land stealing 101.

OP
OP
grimroofer

grimroofer

Dec 14, 2007
kihei maui
Detector(s) used
wow you doing better than i am and i live here i was looking at the dime i found and thought the crown looked real close i put a pic of it in the what is it section under 1800s tags?? thanks for all the help

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
possiibly burial spot ID tags attached to wooden crosses --- burail grounds were often next to a church -- year of death -- and number --- like 1876 burial number 111 --and 1880 burail number 230 -- being on wooden crosses once they rotted away only the ID tags would be left

dog tags if there was a dog tag "tax" is a possiblity as well.

on the big plantations that the robber baron types ran --where the "bosses" had hundreds if not thousands of workers -- they often used a "work chit system" -- metal chits that the workers carried as id's -- when they turned in the crops they picked they showed their chit to the "count boss" and got credited for the work "on the books "-- when they shopped at the company store they showed their chit to buy stuff -- if the amount "on the books" showed him as having credit --he could get stuff .

OP
OP
grimroofer

grimroofer

Dec 14, 2007
kihei maui
Detector(s) used
thanks for all the input i don't think they are grave site tags there in not enough room on the whole site to put over 6000 bodies even if they stacked them up and i was all the way on the other side way away from any graves and that is allot of dog tags for 1876 but the credit tags sound the most plausible I'm am hoping i can get to town and talk to someone at the library this weekend i will keep you posted thanks

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hawaii was Occupied by the US from the 1870's to the 1890's. Maybe it has something to do with travel throughout the islands. This auction site specializes in medals and tokens: http://www.exonumia.com/ You should contact them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread