hunted out site gives up gold ????

Messick81

May 6, 2009
for general info i have been using a dfx for about two years and have found some amazing things., but as most things go i thougt i should be getting things a little deeper. i went to the brands forum and ask for settings that may go deeper. i received a program to try. went to a site that ive hunted alot and tried the program on sat. for about two hours. dug up a colonial button and an 1864 i.h and a harness buckle. went back sunday and found a civil war button a very nice large cent 1846 at about 15 inches and the next thing i dug toke my breath it was a 1857 california 1/4 gold piece WOW. i called a friend and told him what it was and when i said it had a bear on it he said it might be counterfiet i will post pictures tomorrow maybe some one can help. i am happy no matter what, it,s nat everyday you dig gold . thanks

front_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG
!Back_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG

Attachments

• front_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG
    front_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 6,275
Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Don in SJ brought something to my attention that makes me see this more impressive of a find ;D but no one else has pointed out yet or noticed from the pictures of the Cali Gold Coin

Very super cool find if indeed real and Im sure the gold content is real,as for the piece being real Cali Gold or token or whatever its very cool to find and what is more cool Don in SJ will let you all in on because I see what he also pointed out to me about the piece :icon_thumright:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mee thinks something is really different about this token! I do not think it is a normal one, neither real or fake, I dont know, but it does not match any on the Calif token website and somehow I am shocked I missed this but also no one else out of the many who have viewed this post has spoken out.

Look at the reverse side (the Bear side) I was looking at the banner photo of it and all I could see was a lady and not the 1/4 showing. I thought perhaps optical illusion. I downloaded the photo and played with it, nope, it is there! I asked several friends including Brian, and all but one saw it, cough cough, won't name one who did not see it. Anyway, I strongly suggest the finder send the photos to the website owner of the Calif token website that is mention in one of the earlier posts and ask for his opinion. Something is not right with that token.........

Don

Attachments

• TNETgoldcoincomparison.jpg
    TNETgoldcoincomparison.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 4,838
  • Back of dad\'s gold coin.JPG
    Back of dad\'s gold coin.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 4,760
Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also wanted mention I dont think this is an Obverse Impression either at all,not even a close match in the Bust outlines,so as suggested contact a pro,or someone with background on the possiblities.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love th gold. Thanks for sharing it with us. Congradulations on the banner..

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap Don, I was so busy looking at what was supposed to be there I totally missed the portrait of the lady on the reverse also. I guess thats what you was checking to see if I saw in the PM. Duh. :tongue3: Anyhow, new variety? I think this definately need to be brought to the Cali Gold coin guys attention. Nice. :thumbsup:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
72cheyenne said:
Holy crap Don, I was so busy looking at what was supposed to be there I totally missed the portrait of the lady on the reverse also. I guess thats what you was checking to see if I saw in the PM. Duh. :tongue3: Anyhow, new variety? I think this definately need to be brought to the Cali Gold coin guys attention. Nice. :thumbsup:

As plain as the nose on her face...I can't believe I missed this one!

MinelabSwinger

May 17, 2009
I emailed the photos of this token to one of the members of the calgoldonline forums. This gentleman seems to be an expert in this area. He told me it did not appear to be a authentic token. Now taking what he said with a grain of salt... I suggest you have it looked at by someone who knows these coins. If infact it is real...(I personally think it is)....It may be quite valuable. I also recall another member finding one of these a while back. It made the cover of the best finds issue for WE&T. Sweet little token!

OP
OP
M

Messick81

May 6, 2009
I will not go into detail but all of these coins and relics that i have found have came out of Delaware. i will tell everyone that if your not hunting open fields you are missing the boat.

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eye Don and still a neat token :thumbsup:

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great observation Don and great computer imaging also. You've given the finder some truly valuable information!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Mee thinks something is really different about this token! I do not think it is a normal one, neither real or fake, I dont know, but it does not match any on the Calif token website and somehow I am shocked I missed this but also no one else out of the many who have viewed this post has spoken out.

Look at the reverse side (the Bear side) I was looking at the banner photo of it and all I could see was a lady and not the 1/4 showing. I thought perhaps optical illusion. I downloaded the photo and played with it, nope, it is there! I asked several friends including Brian, and all but one saw it, cough cough, won't name one who did not see it. Anyway, I strongly suggest the finder send the photos to the website owner of the Calif token website that is mention in one of the earlier posts and ask for his opinion. Something is not right with that token.........

Don
Don....do you know how these Tokens are made :icon_scratch: are they struck or made from a milling process :dontknow: sometimes we get Hammered coins that look like this, were the coin has been over struck :dontknow: just a thought :) also the females face would be facing that way, through a over strike :)

SS

OP
OP
M

Messick81

May 6, 2009
Don i couldnt believe what i saw once you pointed it out. my self and a friend thaught there was somthing different but could not figure it out. that is unreal. now i realy don,t know what to do next, but thanks for taking the guess work out of it. you have a very good eye.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope that it's the real deal, but if it were mine I'd definitely get it checked. There are other obvious differences between the two tokens other than the bust that shows through on the reverse. Note the distances between the 4 of 1/4 and the bear's back on the two tokens. Also the distances between the dates and the bust on the two photos. Either way, it's a cool find.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying to find out if it is an incused side, showing the parts of the Lady Liberty on the Obverse side, but I just don't think things match but not sure, do have a few feelers out trying to get an answer on what happened. The most logical would be it is the Lady Liberty showing in reverse with a thin planchet being struck, but like I just said, not sure it is the same figure, if only parts of the Obverse bust showed, possibly it could look like that but I have asked for help from a few experts, hope to hear back from them.

There are many differences between the one that was said to match yours, I have still not found a match for it, so it could be a completely different version of one, whether real or not, I have no idea, cannot tell from photos.

I again strongly suggest you send the photos to the owner of that Calif token website, I am sure he will give or get a correct answer for you, including the what happened to the Reverse side.. Mike Locke ([email protected])

Very interested to see what he has to say about the coin. I have yet to see a Bear coin posted that turned out to be gold, so do not be surprised if he says it is not, but I hope it is, but even if it is not, with that inclused imaged, I would think even a brass or gold plated one would interest collectors....

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread