hunted out site gives up gold ????

Messick81

May 6, 2009
for general info i have been using a dfx for about two years and have found some amazing things., but as most things go i thougt i should be getting things a little deeper. i went to the brands forum and ask for settings that may go deeper. i received a program to try. went to a site that ive hunted alot and tried the program on sat. for about two hours. dug up a colonial button and an 1864 i.h and a harness buckle. went back sunday and found a civil war button a very nice large cent 1846 at about 15 inches and the next thing i dug toke my breath it was a 1857 california 1/4 gold piece WOW. i called a friend and told him what it was and when i said it had a bear on it he said it might be counterfiet i will post pictures tomorrow maybe some one can help. i am happy no matter what, it,s nat everyday you dig gold . thanks

front_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG
!Back_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG

Attachments

• front_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG
    front_of_dad\'s_gold_coin.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 6,275
Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow sounds like a good hunt :icon_thumleft: can't wait to see the pics...MR TUFF

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get pictures, it would be on the banner!

HH
-GC

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep was the California gold piece? Probably should send it in to one of the grading/conserving companies, unless
someone gives you a reason not to.
Am looking forward to seeing those pics. Good luck on having unearthed a really rare coin. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

Messick81

May 6, 2009
Re: hunted out site gives up gold ???? here are pics.

Sorry about the pictures....having problems with the camera.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Dad\'s coins.JPG
    Dad\'s coins.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 6,330
OP
OP
M

Messick81

May 6, 2009
more pics.

Attachments

• front of dad\'s gold coin.JPG
    front of dad\'s gold coin.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 6,750
OP
OP
M

Messick81

May 6, 2009
more coins.

Attachments

• Back of dad\'s gold coin.JPG
    Back of dad\'s gold coin.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 6,384

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds, Still Trying to find a 1/4
California Like it

OP
OP
M

Messick81

May 6, 2009
the gold piece was about 9 inches deep. after i got it out of the ground i set the old program back on my dfx just to see the diff. the old program could bairly pic up the coin on top of the ground at 4-5 inches the other program picked it up on top of the ground at almost 11 inches.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you Get a reputable Dealer to look at it ?

OP
OP
M

Messick81

May 6, 2009
yes i plan on taking it this week end to a dealer just for the piece of mind, and i will let everyone know.

OP
OP
M

Messick81

May 6, 2009
also i forgot to say that on my dfx the numbers came up as 11 on the i.d. that is the same thing as alum. foil and also gold rings. i probably would not have dug if it was not so deep. but where i was hunting has been good to me in the past thanks again for all the help

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. As I remember, the tokens with the bear are supposed to be replicas. However, being that you found it with the other older coins and at around the same depth I am questioning my memory or if the info is correct. Can't wait to hear what you find out. Hope it is the real deal for you. :icon_thumright:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From the coin auctions I have been to, I would bet you have a real one. Could you send the DFX program out to the rest of us. Quite honestly, unless I was relic hunting , I would not have dug an 11 on my DFX. However whenever I start finding old coins, I reset and dig all signals. I probably have the largest pull tab collection West of the Mississippi.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeeet! I'd love to know what that program is? Would you PM it?

Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions