Continental army pewter USA button & colonial cuff-links

cabinfever

Oct 14, 2009
NH
Detector(s) used
Deus
Continental army pewter USA button & colonial cuff-links

Pewters found along with 12 colonial era flat buttons (Dandy's) and the cuff-links. I originally believed the cufflinks were so cool that was my original post, but after reading messages from others I now realize the rarity of the button. I am learning a lot lately! The one pewter button is not readable, do you clean pewter to find if anything lies beneath or do you simply seal it to prevent further flaking? I wish I could tell what it says!!!

Thanks again for all of the advice and this website has been so incredibly helpful! I read it now all of the time and can't get enough of all of the stories and finds.

Thank you KyleofPA for the banner vote! New pictures of the buttons instead of the cufflinks!

Attachments

• DSC_1201.JPG
    DSC_1201.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 543
Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: colonial cuff-links

All very nice finds :icon_sunny: I like the USA button :hello2:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
99% of the brass items I find, I use the "toothpick method" on. This includes anything with a design stamped in, including suspender clips, etc.

I think they are as good as they're going to get at this point. Cool find for sure!

Here's a link that explains the toothpick method.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,165857.0.html

Regards,

Buckleboy
Listen to this man... HHHH

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man are weather here lately sucks. >:( I need my tail out working and here I am again.Now after some sleep here is more on what I was saying.The other machines would do it.But after using them and reading on this GTI1500 I liked the fact that I could discriminate a object out and even get a idea of it's size before digging.So I went with it.Now after going with it (funny part) I put my self in these old places and find that I hunt in relic mode all the time.Which is all right it does knock out the smaller iron,but I find myself doing that cause of what I'm after the (old stuff).So one of the features I got it for I don't hardly use because in these areas if I get a good hit it's going to be old and I am going to at least want to put my hands on it to see and learn from.Saying that I'll say this here and i know it's different every were. I look for places that are remote and undesturbed away from all the trash signals,I hunt river shorelines mostly and some woods in the winter.River shores are easy to me cause no roots to chop through easy digging.And most of the land here has a clay layer around 10inchs or so what has fell off the banks are not going very deep they hit that hard clay and they stop right there no way they are going any deeper.Only problem is the clay it will make the machine do funny stuff sometime,like in a area that has a groove washed in it when I go over it she will signal most of the time and theses areas can be buried with a layer of sand so you don't see them all the time.The woods deal purdy much the same way here.I will say up in them I in my mine descriminate if it's a signal that seems to be under a massive root or something i think on it hard and try to figure if it is likly going to be something.Basing that on other things I am coming up with.Only other thing I can say is when I find a area I look the land over in my mine and try to lay the way things would look and work for a site such as ditches near by heavy trafic areas were I think the most was going on.Hard to explain but if you do it enough it starts coming to you with ease same with the detector.
Hope this helps,
Bottom LINE TIME IN THE FIELD PAYS OFF IN EVERY WAY!
Timekiller! :hello:

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good stuff Cabin :icon_thumleft:

tool resized

habs

Attachments

• DSC_1200.JPG
    DSC_1200.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 412

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:
cabinfever said:
Thanks Iron Patch & BuckleBoy for the advice! Yes, the 1749 has a ton of detail - looks great - I'm leaving it as is. I am beeping along with my Ace 250 on two sites which are rich with history, but am I missing the boat with not having a better MD? I found this tool 10" deep near the 1749 coin and it was a chore. I am wondering how many deep LC's I may be missing? Stay loyal to the Ace or upgrade? I understand this may be a conversation for another forum.

Your Ace 250 will serve you well in sites that don't require fast target separation and aren't choked with iron. If the site you're hunting is iron infested, you might consider an upgrade--but you'll be paying a good bit for one that deals well with iron, and you'll be investing months and years in learning it.

My advice is use what you've got for now. It makes no sense to worry about what you're missing. Heck, none of us knows what we're missing. We miss coins and relics ever hunt--all of us. And some hunters even miss whole sites! It can be crippling to start down that path of thought. That machine of yours will not miss much. I've hunted beside an Ace 250 for three years now, and it can certainly hold its own against the more expensive machines like the XLT, DFX, Fisher 1266, etc.

Regards,

Buckles
On a Rich site like this...would it not be better just to dig everything, I wouldn't discrim anything out, dig all the faint signals :P

Got to be more of them goodies there :headbang:

SS

OP
OP
cabinfever

cabinfever

Oct 14, 2009
NH
Detector(s) used
Deus

TimeKiller,

Thank you for the advice, it was extremely helpful. I am currently digging for everything 1) because it is a great way to learn my machine and 2) I love all of the history. And I am learning a lot about the forest and the cabins that once stood there. I get what you mean about seeing the layout of the land and how it must have looked many years ago. You are absolutely right...you can start to picture it as it once was.

Thanks again :)

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

The farthing is amazing, the USA pewter is even more, and the rest of the relics are just icing on the Colonial cake. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: This is why I love hunting only Colonial to very early American sites. The relics just speak for themselves.

I vote BANNER for the USA button. You don't see them posted often and, when you do, they sure leave a lasting impression.

Keep on hunting that site hard. There very well could be more Rev War buttons there.

Kyle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread