12 years searching and I got the BEEP !!

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi All ;D

I WAS HUNTING A SITE THAT HAS PRODUCED LOTS OF FLAT BUTTONS , JANGLERS AND TRADE RINGS IN THE

PAST AND IS UNDER HARVEST AS THIS IS POSTED. NOW FOR THE PAST 12 YEARS I HAVE HOPED THAT ONE DAY MY

6000 SR 3 WOULD TELL ME THAT I HAVE A REG BUTTON FROM LOWER FORT GARRY, THIS FORT IS NORTH AMERICAS

OLDEST STANDING STONE FORT AND A NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE AND USED AS A FUR TRADING POST FOR THE HUDSON

BAY COMPANY TILL THE LATER PART OF THE 1800'S , NOW BACK TO MY STORY. TO DAY STARTED OUT WITH THE

SAME OLD BITS A PIECES OF COPPER FROM TRADE POTS AND SUCH, THEN A BEEP THAT IN THE ALL METAL MODE TOLD

ME THAT I HAD SOME IRON ARTIFACT AS I AM HUNTING A TRADE SITE USED BY THE HBC TRADERS AND NATIVES

IN THE EARLY TO MID 1800'S. I DIG THE ARTIFACT TO FIND YET ANOTHER NATIVE MADE FISHING HOOK IN FARE

CONDITION :) LOTS OF FLAKE RUST TO CLEAN OFF THIS PUPPY LATER. NOW LET ME TELL YOU , A RUSTY NATIVE

MADE HOOK TRUMPS ANY RUN OF THE MILL INDIAN HEAD CENT IN MY BOOKS UNLESS ITS A 1877 IH ;D AH YES,

GETTING BACK TO MY DAY IN REVIEW, I FINISHED DRINKING MY TIM HORTONS COFFEE THAT WAS IN MY THURMO

FALSK AND AT THE END RESULTING IN A NATURE CALL AT THE EDGE OF THE RIVER. AFTER MY VISIT TO THE OLD OAK

OAK TREE, I HEADED BACK TO MY LINE OF SEARCH AND STARTED TO SWING MY WAY THERE WHEN I GOT THAT EVER SO

ZING OF A SOUND IN MY HEAD SET AND A READING OF 42!! THATS THE MAGIC NUMBER ON THE 6000 SR 3 THAT AFTER

OWNING IT SINCE IT CAME TO THE MARKET AND USE'ING IT AS MY BOSS DETECTOR ABOVE THE SPECTRUM AND THE

FANCY BELL AND WHISTLE MACHINES I OWN , TELLS ME I FOUND A BUTTON :icon_thumleft: OK ANOTHER TOMBAC I AM

THINKING AND A DEEP ONE AT THAT! WELL 9 INCHES AND UP COMES THE BUTTON THAT FOR 12 FRIGGING YRS I HAVE

SEARCHED FOR :o ITS A 6TH REGIMENT OF FOOT THAT WAS POSTED AT THE FORT 8 MILES DUE SOUTH AND WAS

EATHER TRADED TO THE NATIVES OR LOST BY A SOLDIER AS HE STOOD GAURD AS THE HBC MEN DID THEIR TRADE

WITH THE NATIVES. PIC#1 IS OF KETTLE METAL, PIC #2 IS OF A NATIVE MADE IRON FISH HOOK AND PIC#3 IS OF

THAT DARN 6TH REG OF FOOT THAT TOOK ME A FRIGGING 12 YEARS TO FIND, GLAD IT OVER WITH :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• Picture 115.jpg
    Picture 115.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,796
  • Picture 117.jpg
    Picture 117.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,800
  • Picture 116.jpg
    Picture 116.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,795
  • Picture 112.jpg
    Picture 112.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,777
  • Picture 109.jpg
    Picture 109.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,789
Upvote 0

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro
I love the fishing hook and 6th Regiment Button. Proof that persistence is key and of course Tim Horton's Coffey Eahhh!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a cool old fish hook and button. keep hitting that spot.....MR TUFF

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
Awesome button, Hardy :thumbsup:

I thought you might appreciate this:

6th REGIMENT OF FOOT
As an Old Corps regiment, the 6th Foot bore its ancient badge, an antelope, on its colors. In three corners of the Regimental Colour was the floral badge of England, a crowned Tudor rose.

Attachments

• sixth.gif
    sixth.gif
    5 KB · Views: 1,678

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardy, that is a great story and great finds. I'm glad you finally found that button. At 9" deep, that makes it all the more a find.

I agree that a native-made iron hook would be more exciting than an Indian Head cent too. Maybe it's a good thing not a lot of people go after the rusted iron. They leave some nice things behind.

That button is really amazing.

OP
OP
Hardy

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
THANX R.I AND ALLEN AND SCRATCHER AND ALL THE REST FOR YOUR KIND WORDS :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:
Rusted_Iron said:
Hardy, that is a great story and great finds. I'm glad you finally found that button. At 9" deep, that makes it all the more a find.

I agree that a native-made iron hook would be more exciting than an Indian Head cent too. Maybe it's a good thing not a lot of people go after the rusted iron. They leave some nice things behind.

That button is really amazing.
allen said:
id love to see your collection of relics
since you started detecting !!
scratcher said:
Awesome button, Hardy :thumbsup:

I thought you might appreciate this:

6th REGIMENT OF FOOT
As an Old Corps regiment, the 6th Foot bore its ancient badge, an antelope, on its colors. In three corners of the Regimental Colour was the floral badge of England, a crowned Tudor rose.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have at least two things in common, the love for Tims coffee, and liking that button! It obviously dates somewhere in the range of the War of 1812... what's the back mark? That is great condition for a dug pewter military button!

There's no big hurry but you're gonna want to seal that puppy up.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
We have at least two things in common, the love for Tims coffee, and liking that button! It obviously dates somewhere in the range of the War of 1812... what's the back mark? That is great condition for a dug pewter military button!

What he said, just minus the Tims (never tried it) :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardy said:
THE BACK MARK IS P&S FIRMIN.LONDON ,SORRY FOR NOT INCLUDING IT :read2:

Ok, with that thick back rim and Firmin mark I didn't quite recognize, I thought it might be post 1812 and the mark seems to put it at 1837. That might help you better determine the history and why it was there.

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

What he said, just minus the Tims (never tried it) :icon_thumright:

Ahhhh, Tim Horton's coffee.... My favorite shop on rte 17 at the road to Espanola. Why? because I'm on vacation when there :coffee2: :coffee2:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is freak'n awesome Hardy!! Good thing that hook doesn't have a barb on it or it really would put a sting on an Indn! Great story and even a sweeter find after 12 yrs of dig'n your ass off! Congradulations!!! Detectahead

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those very nice finds. When did you know you had found the button that you had been hunting for? At the time of pulling it out of the hole? When you got home, and were cleaning the finds?
Would love to hunt some in Canada.....some great, parallel history with the U.S.
Now, what will you be looking for the next 12 years??? :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread