odd lil bit of part of a button * turns out to be a shocker .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a while back was digging along a spot along the banks of the st marys river --(fla / ga border area ) at a shallow fording spot -- its a ideal place to place a civil war picket post at --both to watch the river and block the crossing area.-- , while hunting there I found a civil war 32 cal smith and wesson bullet that had been pryed from its case ( it was one of the earlist "rim fire" type rounds), clearly someone had tried to makeit into a fishing weight ( they had cut a slit in in it length wize and then using pliers had tried to crush it closed )-- it appears to me -- from the plier jaw markings on it, that it slipped from the pliers jaws, popping out and landed in the water at the rivers edge . ( which is where I found it at)

just recently I went back to the spot *and while digging about --I found a odd bit ( a bit more than half) of what appered to be some sort of type 2 convex front sand cast type pewter button -- upon farther inspection it had a full 5 pointed star design and a small letter "x" at one point of the star still visible --- it baffled me --so I called a freind --who really knows his buttons* -- upon looking at it, he said -- you found a part of a "sand cast" texas cuff sized button -- too bad its in such rough shape if it was fully intact and in good shape , it coulda been worth about 2 grand --- so guess where I'll be hunting for awhile? -- cuz if they were sand casting buttons there could be more left there. please o please --- it scans crappy can't show any detail due to its "domed" shape and the markings are faint to begin with but they are there, they are easy to see in person however.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
thank for the posting --and yes Im looking forward to going back there --maybe taking my cuz with me too. -- only down side is folks for years have used as as a swimming spot * thus theres trash galore -- but in the water bets theres a few rings as well :wink: :icon_thumright:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh man, I would hit that area hard hard and more hard.. I hope you find some killer finds and gold of course.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Ivan! Go & get some!!! Chances are really good you'll find more... my ex's father found lots of buttons all around the Tally area up there! Good luck!!

Bran <><

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if by tally area --you mean along tallyrandin the downtown jax area * then thats on the st johns river in jacksonville where union troops hung out as well as confederates -- if so PM me with "more info" --like exactly what areas did he hunt at ? :wink: :icon_thumright: least you could do since I helped you figger out your "metal" you found all the time ;D

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I wish I had more info for you friend... I DO owe you for IDing my "mystery metal" lol! :laughing7:

Bran <><

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sadly no photo -- and it will not scan properly due to size and shape --the image doesn't show up well ---however in person its clearly visable * trust me I really wish I could show you and share it with you. really I do.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread