Civil war belt buckle found in WA state

tomharris76

Jan 11, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Hey everybody, went out with my buddy vanoldschool today and what a day it was. It was slow going all day as we were trying to get creative and hunt some different spots. We were having absolutely no luck at all when I finally said let's go to an old homestead that I know about and give it a shot since we only had about an hour left. I've managed some old silver out of this place along with some nice jewelry in the past so we were hoping to get at least one nice coin out of there. I wasn't doing to good and Van had managed a 1924 wheatie. Then I hear him call out and see him doing the "happy dance" as he finds his first ever buffalo nickle, 193?. Then less than a minute later I get a strong signal on my SE, I pop out the plug and an oval shaped object flips out. I look at for a second and notice a couple of hoops on the back flip it over and see US. Let me tell you I almost pooped my pants. I yell at Van to come over and I put it in his hands. We both start screaming and dancing around. I'm still in shock. I see all the posts the guys back east make with the spectacular finds they make from the civil war and now I get to join the club. I haven't cleaned it yet, kind of scared to touch it. Any ideas on cleaning are appreciated. Thanks for reading and looking. HH

Attachments

• Toms Pics 056.jpg
    Toms Pics 056.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,481
  • Toms Pics 057.jpg
    Toms Pics 057.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,397
  • Toms Pics 058.jpg
    Toms Pics 058.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,331
Upvote 0

usmc0351

Jul 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
DFX, XLT, Tejon, Excal 2
oh yeah,,,you have a nice box plate and with the hooks still attached,,,,,what a great find,,,,

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy cow, that is amazing! Really nice find, congratulations.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I think that is the best box plate I've ever seen. Congrats on that find. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just don't see box plates in that nice shape dug much anymore.

That's a KILLER find!

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not this is a case of taking the wrong turn at Atlanta and not noticin his buds didn't follow...

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Yes,

That is a awesome buckle man

HH Jer

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Wow that is a nice plate. you don't dig them like that very often anymore. Are the hooks brass? Most boxplates have iron hooks but those are so nice they look like they might be brass. I've dug about 500 plates and only dug half of a box plate with brass hooks. The boxplates with brass hooks were supposed to have been issued to the 1st through 10th Ohio regiments. I'm not sure how accurate that is though. I wouldn't clean it anymore. It looks good. Great Find.

bearkiller1030

Jun 24, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Wa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Awesome man wish I could have been there to see that and to see that van guy since he never comes over here anymore. Congrats and BANNER for sure especially for Washington State. :headbang: :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread