Had a Good Day...Need help IDing a Button

Tico14

Jun 16, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7, 1266X, Troy Shadow X-3, Tesoro Deleon, Silver Umax, Whites IDX-Pro (Mr. Bill's Mods), Silver Eagle, Modded Classic 1,
The weather was finally fall like in SE Texas and I had a great day in the field
Found an abandoned house, dug 9 Coins all older, No modern at all, Love those kinda houses.
Got 4 Wheaties 1909, 1911, 1913 & 1919
3 Buffs 2 No Date and 1925
1906 V Nickle
1917 P Merc
and a ladies small ornate rouge compact
Then after the yard played out I went to an old church where I had found a SLQ last week and dug this old Naval Button
Need help IDing the button
2 piece button with small square shank
Looks like 12 stars and 3 cannon balls stacked on bottom
I'm thinking late 1800's but not sure
Anyway it was a great day and I finally had a day where sweat wasn't pouring off me
friday.jpg

navybutton1.jpg

Upvote 0

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
By the face it looks like a blazer button made to look like a navy button. But Hardy's right a pic of the back would help.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was a GREAT day!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Tico14

Tico14

Jun 16, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7, 1266X, Troy Shadow X-3, Tesoro Deleon, Silver Umax, Whites IDX-Pro (Mr. Bill's Mods), Silver Eagle, Modded Classic 1,
On the button, the back is corroded and just by the feel of it, I'm begining to believe it might be off a kids Blazer from somewhere around TOC.
Oh well Maybe next time.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
ya something about the eagle and the anchor just dont look write. trying to find one i have to compare. nice find anyway. willy

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Good Finds, I can't find a match to that one in Albert's Book. All the Anchors at the " T" ( don't know what else to call it) just below where the rope goes through are tilted, not straight up and down like yours. HH Bob

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree Civilian coat button, But some very nice Finds.

Nova Treasure

Buffalo Hunter

Feb 14, 2007
WV
I dug a button almost like the one posted here except for the T as bedfordbob calls it is touching the loop,and it only has six five pointed stars around it,me or none of my Md buddies can seem to find an Id on it anywhere we search if anyone could help with this I would appreciate it . Mine has no back left to get a back mark but the shank is still intact.

HH

USNavySquid

Sep 2, 2011
Here is a "unknown" 2-piece convex button i found in a dried up creekbed in the Sierra Nevadas. It appears to be an eagle with a single indention for an eyeball. It is perched atop an (arrow "which faces to the right"). There are 3 cannonballs underneath it. Additionally there are 12 stars around the circumference. The backside has a square loophole. Does this match the button you found?

Attachments

• UnKnownButton.jpg
    UnKnownButton.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 367

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
For a good comparable, thow away the book and go to JoAnn's. You can get a card of 2 bright shiney ones for under $2. They are prettier that way. I can't see the photo real well, but this one pretty much fills the bill. They have made dozens of "varieties" over the 125 years they have made them, and the backs are usually iron, not brass. Like whoever said, civilian coat button. Rope does not go through the anchor eye, I'll bet.

USNavySquid

Sep 2, 2011
High Plains Digger said:
For a good comparable, thow away the book and go to JoAnn's. You can get a card of 2 bright shiney ones for under $2. They are prettier that way. I can't see the photo real well, but this one pretty much fills the bill. They have made dozens of "varieties" over the 125 years they have made them, and the backs are usually iron, not brass. Like whoever said, civilian coat button. Rope does not go through the anchor eye, I'll bet.

Finding this in Sierra - Gold Country on a non-flowing, long ago dry streambed, may prove to be a button from mid-late 1800's or early 1900's. Save your rude replies for someone else...Joann's is a hoakie button store online, must be your shop?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USNavySquid said:
High Plains Digger said:

Finding this in Sierra - Gold Country on a non-flowing, long ago dry streambed, may prove to be a button from mid-late 1800's or early 1900's. Save your rude replies for someone else...Joann's is a hoakie button store online, must be your shop?
Maybe his way was not so welcoming, Hi from the UK :hello: However, I don't think it changes what it is, which by the back arrangement puts it post-1900. Without going through every type of blazer button, I'm pretty sure thats what it is. Someone on here may spend that time & find it for you :icon_thumright:
First rule, never use simple logic to explain how something 'may' have got there, or we can debate the arguement that the Romans were all over the US losing their coins. In the same way you have been to this remote place recently so could others in most periods for any number of unknown reasons. Thats the joy of detecting, most mystery's stay that way. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions