Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. McDaniel did a great job getting this back into shape. It's actually a Cobb-17-J Variety. I may have said "I" before. Too bad the detail stinks from my scanner. The star was obliterated from the bend. The wings were actually showing at the bend before heating. Can't really see too much of them now, even under magnification. I'm not disappointed at all. Harold Cobb contested this button was made of copper. Michael Hodder said it was brass. Let me tell you..........It's 100% COPPER! Mr. McDaniel also said that there is a tiny spot of brass where they braised and attached the shank. Other than that, you can plainly see that it is definitely copper. The one in Cobbs Collection sold for $5,000. What do you think mine would bring? :laughing9: C'mon....Lets hear it. I wanna hear the appraisals from the "T-Net Appraisal Crowd"!! :laughing7: :laughing9: Take into consideration that I can ID the variety, and you CAN see some detail under magnification.

Attachments

• 10-17-2009 6;50;16 PM.jpg
    10-17-2009 6;50;16 PM.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 10-17-2009 6;50;22 PM.jpg
    10-17-2009 6;50;22 PM.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,254
Upvote 0
OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
hogge said:
Kinda torn on this one. Believe it or not, I may just decide to keep and display this one. Well........might I said. All depends on any offers I might get. Bummer it's in such bad shape.

Sell it. Sell. Sell. Sell! ;D :tongue3:
WOW.....I'm surprised you even posted on one of my finds. But the animosity and tone, doesn't surprise me.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectingfreak said:
How about $50? Can you post it up on eBay?
Would that be my "Buy It Now" price?? :tongue3:

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hogge, don't sell it! that's a find of a lifetime no matter the condition. sell this one when you find your next one in mint condition...
steve

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on the straightening. I couldn't tell you what it's worth. Who was the last person to wear that, what did he do?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
BuckleBoy said:
hogge said:
Kinda torn on this one. Believe it or not, I may just decide to keep and display this one. Well........might I said. All depends on any offers I might get. Bummer it's in such bad shape.

WOW.....I'm surprised you even posted on one of my finds. But the animosity and tone, doesn't surprise me.

The main reason I didn't post the first time was because I couldn't tell what the hell it was because of the crappy scans. Another reason was because I figured I would see it posted at least TWICE more on the forum: Once when it came back after restoration, and Again after you sold it so that you could post the selling price. Looks like I was right.

And by the way, I didn't mean any animosity with my comment above. A GW button is one of the FEW things I would sell immediately. Their value is going Down and Down as more and more examples are being dug--ESPECIALLY the more common "Bird GW" buttons. So I would most certainly sell one if I found a GW of that variety. One of the scarcer ones I might keep, but to hold onto a GW bird button puts one on the losing end of the value equation.

Best of luck with your Upcoming GW button Sale and Digital Camera purchase.

Buck

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
hogge said:
BuckleBoy said:
hogge said:

The main reason I didn't post the first time was because I couldn't tell what the hell it was because of the crappy scans. Another reason was because I figured I would see it posted at least TWICE more on the forum: Once when it came back after restoration, and Again after you sold it so that you could post the selling price. Looks like I was right.

And by the way, I didn't mean any animosity with my comment above. A GW button is one of the FEW things I would sell immediately. Their value is going Down and Down as more and more examples are being dug--ESPECIALLY the more common "Bird GW" buttons. So I would most certainly sell one if I found a GW of that variety. One of the scarcer ones I might keep, but to hold onto a GW bird button puts one on the losing end of the value equation.

Best of luck with your Upcoming GW button Sale and Digital Camera purchase.

Buck

I think you have it backwards BB! You keep the dug fairly common ones because they probably won't get much lower, not to mention why sell such a piece of history for hundreds of dollars. For the rare stuff, that would be up in the thousands, that's where you're going to burn yourself by hanging on. It's probably like Rev War military, once all the big boys have a nice example you and your button are dead to them as far as top dollar goes. They will however always take it off your hands at a bargain price. Anyway, that's how I see it, and actually been there and done that to some degree. I would never look at a rare button as a good investment. (just seen too many fall)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone is kidding right? I can not seem to see anything in the picture but a round object with no detail. I am not stupid and know what a GW button is but is it not like a rare coin with the image worn off? No disrespect intended. :icon_scratch:
Nice save and recovery.
TnMountains

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made my decision............I'm going to keep it. 3 reasons: 1: It's in rough shape and will probably only fetch a few hundred. 2: It's my first GW and a more common variety. 3: Will make a nice display on my wall for a piece of American history found in our area along with being in the GW Inaugural Button Club. See guys, I don't sell EVERYTHING! Although....If it WAS in DECENT shape, I probably would have! ;D :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
I've made my decision............I'm going to keep it. 3 reasons: 1: It's in rough shape and will probably only fetch a few hundred. 2: It's my first GW and a more common variety. 3: Will make a nice display on my wall for a piece of American history found in our area along with being in the GW Inaugural Button Club. See guys, I don't sell EVERYTHING! Although....If it WAS in DECENT shape, I probably would have! ;D :thumbsup:

Definitely for the right choice. A few hundred bucks goes before you even know it.

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:

I agree with Ip and a few others but after reading the posts it makes sense to keep it and enjoy it for awhile ;D
Then down the road as time can change the value of items according to economy and supply and demand it can fetch you more in the future then right now Im sure
Great find tho :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread