Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. McDaniel did a great job getting this back into shape. It's actually a Cobb-17-J Variety. I may have said "I" before. Too bad the detail stinks from my scanner. The star was obliterated from the bend. The wings were actually showing at the bend before heating. Can't really see too much of them now, even under magnification. I'm not disappointed at all. Harold Cobb contested this button was made of copper. Michael Hodder said it was brass. Let me tell you..........It's 100% COPPER! Mr. McDaniel also said that there is a tiny spot of brass where they braised and attached the shank. Other than that, you can plainly see that it is definitely copper. The one in Cobbs Collection sold for $5,000. What do you think mine would bring? :laughing9: C'mon....Lets hear it. I wanna hear the appraisals from the "T-Net Appraisal Crowd"!! :laughing7: :laughing9: Take into consideration that I can ID the variety, and you CAN see some detail under magnification.

Attachments

• 10-17-2009 6;50;16 PM.jpg
    10-17-2009 6;50;16 PM.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 10-17-2009 6;50;22 PM.jpg
    10-17-2009 6;50;22 PM.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,254
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It brings disappointment to all of us who haven't found one. ;D

Dug condition can alter a button in many ways. The only true way would probably be to scatch it a couple mm on the edge to see the color. (Maybe he seen exposed metal when doing the fix?) I had a couple tokens I thought for years had to be brass and not copper, turns out they were indeed copper. I don't think it really matters what it's made of.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
It brings disappointment to all of us who have't found one. ;D

Dug condition can alter a button in many ways. The only true way would probably be to scatch it a couple mm on the edge to see the color. I had a couple tokens I thought for years had to be brass and not copper, turns out they were indeed copper. I don't think it really matters what it's made of.
There are quite a few spots on it where the bright red of the copper is now showing. My guess is from when he had to heat and bend it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:

Dug condition can alter a button in many ways. The only true way would probably be to scatch it a couple mm on the edge to see the color. I had a couple tokens I thought for years had to be brass and not copper, turns out they were indeed copper. I don't think it really matters what it's made of.
There are quite a few spots on it where the bright red of the copper is now showing. My guess is from when he had to heat and bend it.

Well that definitely confirms it.

It might have been plated with brass at one time. (why the other person called it brass)

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue on a price but its a awesome find I can only hope to scratch of my wish list someday!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:

It might have been plated with brass at one time. (why the other person called it brass)
IP....Do you think I could get 500 or so for this? Honestly....What do you think I could get for it?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:

IP....Do you think I could get 500 or so for this? Honestly....What do you think I could get for it?

I think the first step is to find out what the button sells for in decent dug condition. Do you know that?

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:

I think the first step is to find out what the button sells for in decent dug condition. Do you know that?
I,ve been watching Ebay....but haven't seen one recently. Is there some way to get the archives from dug GWI buttons sold on that site? :help:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:
hogge said:
Iron Patch said:

I,ve been watching Ebay....but haven't seen one recently. Is there some way to get the archives from dug GWI buttons sold on that site? :help:

No, only about a week back from the site, but you would pick up older listings through Google. (probably 3 months in the system)

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all. . . congrats on that GW Button :thumbsup:

And if I ever came close to finding something as nice, I'm not sure what I'd do :)

All I can say is well done!

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Brother Hogge!

Since August I have been compiling hundreds of pages of information about GWs. Info such as who has found what, where they found it, general condition and so on. I have scoured the internet. Of the dozens of buttons sold and found throughout the past 4-5 years, I can't find any of your version. That's not to say one hasn't been sold. The vast majority of the ones I've seen for sale are not as worn as yours (by the way, that is the nicest straightening job I've ever seen)! Thus far I've met three serious GW button collectors and they only deal in VF and EF buttons which typically bring close to $5K. Obviously, not all button collectors can afford such prices so I think you probably could get $500 or a little more from a button or coin collector that really wants to add a GW to their collection. Remember they are rare...just my opinion. Awesome find...keep digging!

Rick (Goalrush)

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
That came out great. He does amazing work for sure....

No help as far as monetary value. But, the historical value is certainly significant.

Good luck with the appraisals.

Brian in MA

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
"The one in Cobbs Collection sold for $5,000. What do you think mine would bring? laughing9 C'mon....Lets hear it. I wanna hear the appraisals from the "T-Net Appraisal Crowd"!! laughing7 laughing9 Take into consideration that I can ID the variety, and you CAN see some detail under magnification."

$100,000 easy.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda torn on this one. Believe it or not, I may just decide to keep and display this one. Well........might I said. All depends on any offers I might get. Bummer it's in such bad shape.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldnow said:
"The one in Cobbs Collection sold for $5,000. What do you think mine would bring? laughing9 C'mon....Lets hear it. I wanna hear the appraisals from the "T-Net Appraisal Crowd"!! laughing7 laughing9 Take into consideration that I can ID the variety, and you CAN see some detail under magnification."

$100,000 easy.
Nice find on that mortar shell.....maybe the next one will be a land mine! :wink:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogge said:
Kinda torn on this one. Believe it or not, I may just decide to keep and display this one. Well........might I said. All depends on any offers I might get. Bummer it's in such bad shape.

Sell it. Sell. Sell. Sell! ;D :tongue3:

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
To me finds like this dont have a value. They are trophys that I will display forever.

Do you think that you will ever meet a person face to face that has found one too?
Keep it and display it proudly :thumbsup: I do mine !

VPR

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
"Nice find on that mortar shell.....maybe the next one will be a land mine! "

Believe it or not, the military has not yet removed it, (almost a month) and it has become a small tourist attraction for the locals. The Mayor calls them constantly, but no action. We here booms from a nearby quarry once in awhile and always look up the mountain for smoke to see if it was the mortar that went off, and wonder if I need to get some plastic bags for any body parts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread