2 hr Morning Park Hunt Silver & Lrg Cent

catskillcomics

Oct 26, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
2 hr Morning Park Hunt Silver & Lrg Cent

Got up early this morning, and checked the weather forecast, with rain & snow on it way today, I thought I best get out while I can. So 730am I headed to a local park.
Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything great today, maybe a piece of silver or two, but I got a nice mix today. First was an Indian Head Penny 1862?, then came a 1957 silver Rosie. My very last target of the morning was a deep iffy quarter signal at 8.5" so dug it up thinking maybe a Silver Washington quarter, to my surprise out popped a 182? Large Cent.. HOO HAA! Nice way to end the hunt.

I'd love to try to figure out the date acurately, but it seems the more you clean LC's the worst they get.. I'm leaving this one alone.

Attachments

• 10-18-09A.jpg
    10-18-09A.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 684
  • 10-18-09B.jpg
    10-18-09B.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 681
  • 10-18-09C.jpg
    10-18-09C.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 676
  • 10-18-09D.jpg
    10-18-09D.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 682
Upvote 0
OP
OP
catskillcomics

catskillcomics

Oct 26, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Re: 2 hr Morning Park Hunt Silver & Lrg Cent

Can't really see the abrasion marks with the naked eye, just with large image.. must of been from being in the ground all those years

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice bunch of coins you got there. Have you try olive oil to soak the LC in......Matt

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

mlayers said:
Nice bunch of coins you got there. Have you try olive oil to soak the LC in......Matt
I would use hydrogen peroxide heated in microwave til heated... this is the best method for copper unless there bad corrosion....

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice group of finds. :icon_thumright: I'd probably be too curious about the date and try to clean up that Large Cent a bit.

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

nice finds, cc. i got out this morning across the river from you, despite the forecast, but got thoroughly skunked. well done.

i'm thinking the "scrap" marks creeper is referring to is from the grain of the copper planchet when it was rolled out, now eroded by the soil. sort of like when you find a piece of driftwood with the softer part of the grain eroded more than the harder part, leaving raised ridges. perhaps. dwayne

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

dwayne sueno said:
nice finds, cc. i got out this morning across the river from you, despite the forecast, but got thoroughly skunked. well done.

i'm thinking the "scrap" marks creeper is referring to is from the grain of the copper planchet when it was rolled out, now eroded by the soil. sort of like when you find a piece of driftwood with the softer part of the grain eroded more than the harder part, leaving raised ridges. perhaps. dwayne
could also be from rubbing dirt (we're all guilty of this) off after digging to see what it was...

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

creeper71 said:
dwayne sueno said:

could also be from rubbing dirt (we're all guilty of this) off after digging to see what it was...

that could also be true.

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dwayne sueno said:

I agree I have found some coppers and LG Cents in the same condition,nice finds just the same :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
catskillcomics

catskillcomics

Oct 26, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
DFX

creeper71 said:
where did the scrap marks come from on your Lc?

You mentioned from rubbing the dirt off.. actually I didn't even rub the coin , I know we all do it, but I knew it was a LC, so I left the all the dirt on it and just rinsed it off with water, no rubbing there..

ANY WAYS.. I put the coin in some mineral oil for a couple hours, then using a cotton swab, gently removed some of surface crud,.. it came out OK and was able to read the date pretty clearly, 1820

Attachments

• 1820LC.jpg
    1820LC.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 511

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008

nice large cent!!! i can sometimes be tuff getting dates out of old coppers. you did a good job getting the o out. i use the peroxide method than a little olive oil. but you right ive had some coppers have better detail straight out of the ground till the air hits it. congrats. willy

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice group of finds....Large cents and Indian head cents are always a nice suprise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread