Come take a walk with me (1860s Chinese gold rush hunt)...56K beware!

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009
Come take a walk with me (1860's Chinese gold rush hunt)...56K beware!

First let me say that if you're on dial-up....Go make a sandwich.. LOL

It was a nice fall day here and I decided that even if I had things I should be doing.....I was going on a hike with detector in hand.
I'm lucky enough to have an area only about a mile away from my house that saw a lot of Chinese mining activity from the 1860's until about 1900......This post is more about the outing than the finds I'm afraid, but it was great to be out in the woods!! This is what a "site" looks like for me!

As soon as I parked my truck and got out to start my bush hike, these guys wanted to know what i was all about.

IMG_3856.jpg

As soon as I got off the pasture area and into the forest, signs of 150 year old Chinese activity were noticable. This trench is an old water ditch used to move water for washing gravel further down the valley.

IMG_3838.jpg

This is the first cabin site I found. It was easy to find, as I noticed the old stove body still there. I detected around this one, but nothing of note was found.......The iron trash is nasty at these spots.

IMG_3837.jpg

Here's another one that I have hunted before a couple years ago. The tree that my detector is leaning against is growing in the inside of the cabin square. The mound of dirt behind is all that's left of the walls.

IMG_3840.jpg

I found lots of pieces of brass opium tins. They are made out of thin plate brass, carefully soldered together. Heres the lid off one with embossed Chinese characters.

IMG_3845.jpg

Some pottery and glass eyeball finds. The bottles are all early. The pottery is a piece of Chinese "four seasons" pattern bowl.

IMG_3851.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

The only other nonferrous bit was this 44 cal Henry rifle casing. Definitely 1860's and amazing how big these are for a rimfire cartridge.

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3843.jpg

I decided to put on some more miles and hiked until I found another cabin square that will be a future spot to break out the sifter at. These cabin sites are hard to spot as they have rotted to nothing in the last 150 years. If you look closely at this picture you can see the back wall of the cabin (I know it's hard to see in a photo compared to being there). The whole cabin square is only about 10'x10' and would have been a living quarters for two Chinese miners, likely...... Judging by the mound of dirt inside the cabin square I can tell that it had a sod roof.......I'll be back in the spring to sift this one!! :icon_thumleft:

IMG_3852.jpg

I was going to do some more searching, but I was in thick brush and stumbled on a black bear......He climbed a tree and I'm sure he was more scared than me, but I high tailed it to put some distance between me and him!!!.....Sorry no bear pics!! ;D

That was my day.........It sure beat digging clad!!

Upvote 0

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Come take a walk with me (1860's Chinese gold rush hunt)...56K beware!

Very interesting finds, great find and research.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

That is a neat area!!! Maybe one day you will come across some ones Cache from back then!!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I love those Chinese camps,its odd you didnt find at least one Chinese coin!We find lots of them.We also find tons of those opium tins,here is a cool link.It will tell you what brand and what Province your tin came from! http://www.cinarc.org/Opium.html :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Rob (B.C.)

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009

kuger said:
I love those Chinese camps,its odd you didnt find at least one Chinese coin!We find lots of them.We also find tons of those opium tins,here is a cool link.It will tell you what brand and what Province your tin came from! http://www.cinarc.org/Opium.html :thumbsup:

Thanks Kruger!!.....That's a great link, I've never seen before!!

I haven't found any coins yet at these spots, or very little for nonferrous targets of any kind other than the opium tins.....I think they spent all their money on opium!.. :laughing7:

Do you detect the sites you hunt or just sift???

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Usually just detect,unless we find the dumps then sift!Chinese coins are usually every where they were though,often it seems they threw them at each other!Also they did like there opium!!I cant think of a single site that we dont find at least some of opium!!!! :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good to see you posting! :thumbsup:

Dude you gotta put some of that stuff from the trade site on the best finds forum!

You should really carry a gun back there if you don't....

..might run into a few Chinese miners. :D (or a another bear)

OP
OP
Rob (B.C.)

Rob (B.C.)

Apr 14, 2009

Iron Patch said:

Dude you gotta put some of that stuff from the trade site on the best finds forum!

Hey man!

If you hadn't noticed, there's an actual "Fur Trade Forum" here!! I guess I can post some bits on the best finds forum too ;D

With a backpack, a detector and a shovel, I didn't have another hand to pack a gun :laughing7:........Next time I think I will though.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rob (B.C.) said:
Iron Patch said:

Hey man!

If you hadn't noticed, there's an actual "Fur Trade Forum" here!! I guess I can post some bits on the best finds forum too ;D

With a backpack, a detector and a shovel, I didn't have another hand to pack a gun :laughing7:........Next time I think I will though.

I know there is a fur trade forum, but I don't go to that side of town. ;D

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax

Hi Rob nice to see you posting here :hello: , looks like you had quite the adventure during your hunt but like IP mention get a gun or at least some bear spray!

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac

I'd like to say this is one of the neater posts I've seen in awhile, and I wasn't expecting it. Of all the things I'd think of hunting(even with being on the East coast), a Chinese mining camp had never popped into my thoughts. I see the coins posted from all over, but never jumped the creek.

Thanks for bringing another piece of enlightenment into our hobby, and saving some neat history!

Consequently, I wear a belt when I find that I cant carry a gun in my hands ;D

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When you find a/some Chinese coins, I will be glad to help you i.d. them. I hunt in S. KOrea, and many of the coins I find
are Chinese. They and the Koreans traded with each other. Be glad to help. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread