New Site Yields Trojan Horse, And An Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening Everyone;
Finally after eyeballing this place all summer it went up for sale..........and I know the Realtor ;D Talked to Todd this morning and he said, Go ahead :headbang: The house dates from at least 1870 because it's on my Platte map and I forgot to ask him how old it really was. This was a operating farm complete with privy. 7 buildings in all. You can see where the original home was just brick. Then 2 additions were added on. One older with old wood and lead paint and one during more modern times. Maybe I can arrange for a privy dig too. Since it's in town it may be a good one. ::)

This place was originally owned by George McDonald. I don't know if J.A. McDonald were brothers ( the 1834 house I hunted for 14 months) I started off by digging some old wheat's around the house. A little frustrated I headed out into the front yard. 2 pocket spills. One with 2 wheat's and one with 4 and a War nickle. I really focused my attention to how a person would come and go from the house. It worked. I shot a straight line from the front porch to the sidewalk. If you had to go up town in those days how would you go? Not hard to figure out. My first target at 6 inches was a Mint SLQ from 1928. We all like to toot our horns a little but this SLQ is one of the finest dug coins I have laid eyes on. The reeded edges are sharp. No wear whatsoever. Check out how fine and black the soil is here. I mean Black!! The next 3 targets were 2 Rosie's and a Merc. Then 5 Wheat's and a 1945 War Nickle. I haven't dug one of these in a long time. Also found another marble. No Idea on how old it is :dontknow: And no, That horse is not gold :D I just had to say that to get your attention ;D It's brass because it's heavy. May be copper but I think brass

I still have a lot of ground to cover but it's looking like a hot spot for sure. All of the Wheats (9) except for 3 were low 1900's. Also dug was what I thought was a golden horsey thingy. My heart raced when I scratched the dirt off. I'll have to do some more looking over on this one. Dug another lead seal, lipstick tube, Winchester shotgun brass, an old pocket knife, and a piece of copper. This has been the best day I have had in a while for silver. I shall return Wed. and see if I can't raise the silver level.

Thanks for looking and enjoy all of the pics. I like to take pictures. Pictures are like reading a good book. Enjoy Ron

003-32.jpg

004-31.jpg

005-32.jpg

006-33.jpg

007-35.jpg

008-34.jpg

014-27.jpg

015-23.jpg

016-20.jpg

017-21.jpg

023-11.jpg

042-5.jpg

035-5.jpg

024-11.jpg

010-37.jpg

011-33.jpg

012-29.jpg

013-30.jpg

026-9.jpg

027-10.jpg

025-11.jpg

028-7.jpg

029-7.jpg

030-7.jpg

031-5.jpg

032-6.jpg

033-5.jpg

034-5.jpg

036-5.jpg

037-4.jpg

039-5.jpg

045-2.jpg

044-3.jpg

Upvote 0

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Re: New Site Yields Gold Trojan Horse, Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More

Awesome site. Great finds

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New Site Yields Gold Trojan Horse, Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More

Great finds. That SLQ is unbelievable coming out of the ground in that condition. Congrats. :icon_thumright:

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250

You sure are good at giving us a show! You are always pooping out new sites and GREAT finds :thumbsup:

VPR

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds

Sweet finds crazy

Bubba65

PS-RI

Nov 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer se with x-1 sunray probe

great finds :headbang:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

VERMONTPACKRAT said:
You sure are good at giving us a show! You are always pooping out new sites and GREAT finds :thumbsup:

VPR

Might as well make it a learning experience for everyone. If your going to do , do it right :wink:

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goes to show that research pays off. Nice finds there, keep hitting it.

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

Wow. Nice find's Love the SQL. I've only found one this year...

Happy Hunting

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awsome SQL! Nice pickup.

dulac

Apr 29, 2009
Sgt. Bluff, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelabs (E-trac & Explorer XS)

Go ahead! Toot your own bad self. That SLQ rocks! congratulations. Hope you find a lot more silver around there. Slow down and get the injuns too. You know there's gotta be some there.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great haul there, quarter is in great shape congrats.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW on that standing liberty. Just WOW.

Nice silver digs. Love those silver discs coming out of the ground. Thanks for the great pics.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WoW Some Cool Finds There
I Don't remember the Last time I found a Standing Quarter.
& I'm Lucky to get the early Dateless ones :D

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wow awesome finds, a great hunt and story...:) what photo editing program do you use to resize your pictures for posting? I am not able to post pictures yet as I cannot figure out how to resize the photo's.....Thanks Ricky

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent finds :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ricky1601 said:
wow awesome finds, a great hunt and story...:) what photo editing program do you use to resize your pictures for posting? I am not able to post pictures yet as I cannot figure out how to resize the photo's.....Thanks Ricky

I've always used photobucket. I must have hit something by accident :laughing7: . I have never had any trouble with the size. I don't know, it just works.

sfinder

Jun 25, 2006
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm V and DD Coil

Must have been pretty deep!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread