New Site Yields Trojan Horse, And An Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening Everyone;
Finally after eyeballing this place all summer it went up for sale..........and I know the Realtor ;D Talked to Todd this morning and he said, Go ahead :headbang: The house dates from at least 1870 because it's on my Platte map and I forgot to ask him how old it really was. This was a operating farm complete with privy. 7 buildings in all. You can see where the original home was just brick. Then 2 additions were added on. One older with old wood and lead paint and one during more modern times. Maybe I can arrange for a privy dig too. Since it's in town it may be a good one. ::)

This place was originally owned by George McDonald. I don't know if J.A. McDonald were brothers ( the 1834 house I hunted for 14 months) I started off by digging some old wheat's around the house. A little frustrated I headed out into the front yard. 2 pocket spills. One with 2 wheat's and one with 4 and a War nickle. I really focused my attention to how a person would come and go from the house. It worked. I shot a straight line from the front porch to the sidewalk. If you had to go up town in those days how would you go? Not hard to figure out. My first target at 6 inches was a Mint SLQ from 1928. We all like to toot our horns a little but this SLQ is one of the finest dug coins I have laid eyes on. The reeded edges are sharp. No wear whatsoever. Check out how fine and black the soil is here. I mean Black!! The next 3 targets were 2 Rosie's and a Merc. Then 5 Wheat's and a 1945 War Nickle. I haven't dug one of these in a long time. Also found another marble. No Idea on how old it is :dontknow: And no, That horse is not gold :D I just had to say that to get your attention ;D It's brass because it's heavy. May be copper but I think brass

I still have a lot of ground to cover but it's looking like a hot spot for sure. All of the Wheats (9) except for 3 were low 1900's. Also dug was what I thought was a golden horsey thingy. My heart raced when I scratched the dirt off. I'll have to do some more looking over on this one. Dug another lead seal, lipstick tube, Winchester shotgun brass, an old pocket knife, and a piece of copper. This has been the best day I have had in a while for silver. I shall return Wed. and see if I can't raise the silver level.

Thanks for looking and enjoy all of the pics. I like to take pictures. Pictures are like reading a good book. Enjoy Ron

003-32.jpg

004-31.jpg

005-32.jpg

006-33.jpg

007-35.jpg

008-34.jpg

014-27.jpg

015-23.jpg

016-20.jpg

017-21.jpg

023-11.jpg

042-5.jpg

035-5.jpg

024-11.jpg

010-37.jpg

011-33.jpg

012-29.jpg

013-30.jpg

026-9.jpg

027-10.jpg

025-11.jpg

028-7.jpg

029-7.jpg

030-7.jpg

031-5.jpg

032-6.jpg

033-5.jpg

034-5.jpg

036-5.jpg

037-4.jpg

039-5.jpg

045-2.jpg

044-3.jpg

Upvote 0

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
Re: New Site Yields Gold Trojan Horse, Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More

Beautiful quarter there, I just love the SLQ design the eagle is so majestic on the reverse! Good job and great photos keep 'em coming.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Re: New Site Yields Gold Trojan Horse, Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More

Way to go Ron! nice finds and pics/story, do you know what that horse thingy is? kind of looks like a pin or brooch to me but....? any ideas?

Chuck.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whos the man? Crazyjarhead! Way to go kane 23

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tattooguy67 said:
Way to go Ron! nice finds and pics/story, do you know what that horse thingy is? kind of looks like a pin or brooch to me but....? any ideas?

Chuck.

It does have a pin on the back but is broken. Some kind of broach

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5

:o Super nice SL quarter, congrats. Looks like you got yourself a nice site there. You consistently make some great finds, I'm waiting for the day you post a gold coin.....it could happen!! :icon_thumright:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hats off to you on the nice finds :o MR TUFF

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW ~ that Standing Lib Quarter is AWESOME!! Such nice finds man! WOOHOO!!! CONGRAT'S!

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on some SWEET SILVER finds Ron!!! :hello2:
That 1928 SLQ is absolutely beautiful. The years and the
ground were kind to it. BTW... that tree changing colors
is a cool picture...love it. Gold Nuggets :hello:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

oddcoins said:
WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW ~ that Standing Lib Quarter is AWESOME!! Such nice finds man! WOOHOO!!! CONGRAT'S!

Thanks Neil and Denver nuggets :icon_sunny:

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

She's a beauty, Ron! :hello2: Nice pile of coinage. Good luck future hunts there.

Keep digging!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds Bud. The horse is Awesome! Love the SLQ.......Congrats.Hogge :headbang:

rebeljim52

Sep 20, 2009
Silverstreet SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000 and used XLT E
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great place great finds.that black beats the clay we have around here :icon_thumleft:

PANNONIAN

Jan 6, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Re: New Site Yields Gold Trojan Horse, Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And Mo

Very good day indeed! Nice silver. Congrats. Pannonian

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X

What a hunt! That's some AMAZING detail on that SLQ.
Congrats! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Michiganne said:
She's a beauty, Ron! :hello2: Nice pile of coinage. Good luck future hunts there.

Keep digging!

Thanks Anne. I see that you keep your avatar updated regularly. :o

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That SLQ is a blazer.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Got to be the pretties SLQ iv seen dug! I loved seated coins but I cant decide between the SLQ and the seated as my favorite. Amazing coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions