New Site Yields Trojan Horse, And An Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening Everyone;
Finally after eyeballing this place all summer it went up for sale..........and I know the Realtor ;D Talked to Todd this morning and he said, Go ahead :headbang: The house dates from at least 1870 because it's on my Platte map and I forgot to ask him how old it really was. This was a operating farm complete with privy. 7 buildings in all. You can see where the original home was just brick. Then 2 additions were added on. One older with old wood and lead paint and one during more modern times. Maybe I can arrange for a privy dig too. Since it's in town it may be a good one. ::)

This place was originally owned by George McDonald. I don't know if J.A. McDonald were brothers ( the 1834 house I hunted for 14 months) I started off by digging some old wheat's around the house. A little frustrated I headed out into the front yard. 2 pocket spills. One with 2 wheat's and one with 4 and a War nickle. I really focused my attention to how a person would come and go from the house. It worked. I shot a straight line from the front porch to the sidewalk. If you had to go up town in those days how would you go? Not hard to figure out. My first target at 6 inches was a Mint SLQ from 1928. We all like to toot our horns a little but this SLQ is one of the finest dug coins I have laid eyes on. The reeded edges are sharp. No wear whatsoever. Check out how fine and black the soil is here. I mean Black!! The next 3 targets were 2 Rosie's and a Merc. Then 5 Wheat's and a 1945 War Nickle. I haven't dug one of these in a long time. Also found another marble. No Idea on how old it is :dontknow: And no, That horse is not gold :D I just had to say that to get your attention ;D It's brass because it's heavy. May be copper but I think brass

I still have a lot of ground to cover but it's looking like a hot spot for sure. All of the Wheats (9) except for 3 were low 1900's. Also dug was what I thought was a golden horsey thingy. My heart raced when I scratched the dirt off. I'll have to do some more looking over on this one. Dug another lead seal, lipstick tube, Winchester shotgun brass, an old pocket knife, and a piece of copper. This has been the best day I have had in a while for silver. I shall return Wed. and see if I can't raise the silver level.

Thanks for looking and enjoy all of the pics. I like to take pictures. Pictures are like reading a good book. Enjoy Ron

003-32.jpg

004-31.jpg

005-32.jpg

006-33.jpg

007-35.jpg

008-34.jpg

014-27.jpg

015-23.jpg

016-20.jpg

017-21.jpg

023-11.jpg

042-5.jpg

035-5.jpg

024-11.jpg

010-37.jpg

011-33.jpg

012-29.jpg

013-30.jpg

026-9.jpg

027-10.jpg

025-11.jpg

028-7.jpg

029-7.jpg

030-7.jpg

031-5.jpg

032-6.jpg

033-5.jpg

034-5.jpg

036-5.jpg

037-4.jpg

039-5.jpg

045-2.jpg

044-3.jpg

Upvote 0

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: New Site Yields Gold Trojan Horse, Mint SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More To Hu

What a bunch of excellent finds.

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Re: New Site Yields Gold Trojan Horse, Mint SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More To Hunt

Ron,

One heck of a house site you've got there. And you dug my favorite coin in great condition. :icon_thumright: :thumbsup: :icon_thumleft: That 'gold' horse is way cool too. What kind of depths were you getting your coins at?

Jim

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Re: New Site Yields Gold Trojan Horse, Mint SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More To Hunt

love the horse. great hunt!

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ziphius said:
Ron,

One heck of a house site you've got there. And you dug my favorite coin in great condition. :icon_thumright: :thumbsup: :icon_thumleft: That 'gold' horse is way cool too. What kind of depths were you getting your coins at?

Jim

In this soil was 4-6. Most were 6 inches. Nice, damp black soil. Can't get any better :o This coin litterally looks and feels new. It was surely dropped shortly after mint

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Re: New Site Yields Gold Trojan Horse, Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More

Absolutly stunning SLQ! One of my favorite coins and that is amazing how well that one held up. Way to go. :hello2:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New Site Yields Gold Trojan Horse, Unbelievable SLQ, 4 Silver, Wheats And More

Hit it even harder on wednesday! Nice coins esp SLQ. Like the horse, looks great! :icon_thumright:

R

rig runner09

congrats :thumbsup:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

nice condition on the quarter!

that's awesome shape, well done!

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds and I just love the colour of that magnificent tree - keep diggin' 8)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nice SLQ :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II

ron amazing stuf SlQ like new I have yet to get that cherry . Amazing that out house shold get you a bunch of coins Im so enthralled by you writing and pictures and your finds keep up the good work Ron :coffee2: awsome Rob.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

underdogger said:
ron amazing stuf SlQ like new I have yet to get that cherry . Amazing that out house shold get you a bunch of coins Im so enthralled by you writing and pictures and your finds keep up the good work Ron :coffee2: awsome Rob.

I like to be entertaining while at the same time informing. Love what I do. Pictures are worth a thousand words as the old cliche' goes. Pictures tell the story and some. Thanks Ron

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ron, Congrats on some terrific finds. That SLQ is sensational, one of the sharpest ones I've ever seen posted. Hope you have success on your return trip.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding !! :hello2: :headbang: :notworthy:

Keep @ It and HH!! :D ;D

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Ron, good job on several things:
1. Great story
2. Great pics
3. Being opportunistic on getting on the site with permission
4. Finding Great house relics and exceptional silver
Like the horse, WTG & HH.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

man Ron that SLQ is AWESOME!!!!! congrats!

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

VOL1266-X said:
Ron, good job on several things:
1. Great story
2. Great pics
3. Being opportunistic on getting on the site with permission
4. Finding Great house relics and exceptional silver
Like the horse, WTG & HH.

You have to be good at selling yourself and just asking. I have been blessed with endless places to hunt because of the small town and most people know someone in my family ( 11 siblings grew up here)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread