johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went back to the spot where I'd found the King William a few weeks ago, hopeing to find the last scraps I'd missed over the years. I kept with the small 5" coil due to all the iron, but boosted sensitivity up to an almost unbearable 26 this time around. All signals were poor and read iron by the numbers. This badly broken signal read a 1f c27 jumping back and forth to a 27f c50. Turns out there was a shotgun shell and iron in the hole.

This is a U.S. Navy buckle (tongue only with loop gone). It is very unlikely I would ever find the wreath, as besides pounding this site hard for so long, much dirt has been carted away and sold for fill, and what little ground that remains is becoming an unofficial dump.

The closest identity to this buckle is listed in Kerksis (page 73) where he describes this buckle having 13 stars (as does mine). Curiously he shows a picture of a similar buckle bearing 17 stars with a slight variance in the angle of the anchor flukes. He never describes that buckle, and any input on this point would be appreciated.

As it stands, the buckle he lists with 13 stars is rated as rarity 9, tied with the rarest of all Naval buckles, and tied with the rarest of all military buckles, Union or Confederate, that are not one of a kind.

Attachments

• buckle today\'s finds.jpg
    buckle today\'s finds.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 5,033
  • buckle washed.jpg
    buckle washed.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 4,996
  • better picture.jpg
    better picture.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 4,835
Upvote 9

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Johnnyi....I have just read all the replys to your fantastic find :headbang: big Congrats :notworthy: here's a thought, could you not have a replica of the Wreath made :dontknow: I know it wouldn't be the same as the real thing :P but it would look good in your display :)

http://cwsutler.hypermart.net/BkPic.html

SS

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know how rare it is but I know it is a great find....looks great.

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
johnnyi said:
jpitt1970 said:
I've got a CW Navy button, found near Manassas w/ the identical design on it.

jpitt, yes, there are a number of Navy buttons with very close to the same design, a design which included the oval around the field, vertical anchor, etc.. They date from the 1820's. By the time the Civil War broke out this style of button had long passed, which might suggest that yours was dropped earlier on your site, or as a long shot, it may even have been used by a Confederate soldier.
I lied, well, not really..hadn't looked at mine in a while, thought it was similiar..just posted a pic of my button in the whatsit forum, it is nowhere near your buckle

tr snyper

Dec 29, 2008
johnnyi - congratulations on the tongue part of the tongue and wreath. Last year I recovered a wreath that came from NJ. I posted it thinking it may be Civil War. But it appears to be much older. I saw a post on an early militia buckle that was close but not the same. The picture iron man posted that appears to look like the tongue you have happens to be a match to the wreath I have. With X shape ribbons on top and bottom. The site has produced Colonial coins, musket balls and an 1812 and 1815 Spanish 2 and 4 reale coins. It was near a tavern that housed colonists fighting under Washington. Many other early relics surfaced there also. If I can find the post from last fall I will bump it up since no one ever ID'd it yet. But it looks pretty close to the one ironman posted. I am at the shore where many captains came from as this area built some of the worlds best sailing ships of it's time period. And I have dug many maritime relics including plenty of buttons with eagles grasping anchors. One has a copper/brass top dome and an iron back with dome holes as opposed to a ring. It's the only one like it I have ever found. And I have over a hundred different buttons from just about everything. Except Washington's inauguration or campaign. I hope I can find it and bring it back up. I would love to finally put a story behind the wreath.
Steve

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tr snyper said:
johnnyi - congratulations on the tongue part of the tongue and wreath. Last year I recovered a wreath that came from NJ. I posted it thinking it may be Civil War. But it appears to be much older. I saw a post on an early militia buckle that was close but not the same. The picture iron man posted that appears to look like the tongue you have happens to be a match to the wreath I have. With X shape ribbons on top and bottom. The site has produced Colonial coins, musket balls and an 1812 and 1815 Spanish 2 and 4 reale coins. It was near a tavern that housed colonists fighting under Washington. Many other early relics surfaced there also. If I can find the post from last fall I will bump it up since no one ever ID'd it yet. But it looks pretty close to the one ironman posted. I am at the shore where many captains came from as this area built some of the worlds best sailing ships of it's time period. And I have dug many maritime relics including plenty of buttons with eagles grasping anchors. One has a copper/brass top dome and an iron back with dome holes as opposed to a ring. It's the only one like it I have ever found. And I have over a hundred different buttons from just about everything. Except Washington's inauguration or campaign. I hope I can find it and bring it back up. I would love to finally put a story behind the wreath.
Steve

Steve, that would be great to see the wreath. So many of them look almost identical, it's not until you look which way the ribbons are crossed or some other tiny difference in detail that you begin to realize how remote the chances are of finding (or seeing ) an exact match are. The buttons sound cool. Odds are pretty good the steel backed one is "civilian", but it could have been worn at sea.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny,here is one a freind of mine dug.It is from the wrong end of the U.S,but looks awful close!!

Attachments

• wreath.jpg
    wreath.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,186

DFX300

Nov 14, 2009
Great Find ! Even though Kerksis is a great reference for buckles, it was printed 35 years ago and a lot has been determined since. Your buckle is a pattern 1830 Navy officer buckle that dates c.1837-1841 and was worn on white cotton belts for dress occasions and on blue webbing for undress. To see your identical buckle with 13 stars see plate 992 in AMERICAN MILITARY BELT PLATES by Campbell.
I was told that you detect in PA so I thought you'd like to see a belt plate I also found in PA last year. its a c.1820's pennsylvania militia belt buckle that I found at a house site (its a farm field today but must have been in use up to the early 1900's from the artifacts I found there). see photo.....

Attachments

• 1820sBeltPlate.jpg
    1820sBeltPlate.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 949
OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DFX300 said:
Great Find ! Even though Kerksis is a great reference for buckles, it was printed 35 years ago and a lot has been determined since. Your buckle is a pattern 1830 Navy officer buckle that dates c.1837-1841 and was worn on white cotton belts for dress occasions and on blue webbing for undress. To see your identical buckle with 13 stars see plate 992 in AMERICAN MILITARY BELT PLATES by Campbell.
I was told that you detect in PA so I thought you'd like to see a belt plate I also found in PA last year. its a c.1820's pennsylvania militia belt buckle that I found at a house site (its a farm field today but must have been in use up to the early 1900's from the artifacts I found there). see photo.....

Thanks DFX, this is the stuff I need! That seems the right time frame with eagle head facing right, and it matches the style of all the early ones kerksis lists which are pressed with the tongues built of a few separate parts. I just saw one of these the other day online which was found in 1970, but it had a later date attribution which didn't seem quite right. It might have been used by Confederates at a much later date which made it even more interesting. That is one pretty buckle of yours! Man, that's the inspiration I need to get out in the old Pa. stomping grounds again! Those fields rarely fail us do they? Thanks again!

Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same one with 13 stars and could not find a thing about it on the web. Here it is ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1425616152.973399.jpg

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice buckle their you got!vanzutphen

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic Naval buckle find, lots of detail!

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to vote banner again. Check the date of the original post. Oct of 2009. It was Banner a long time ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread