johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went back to the spot where I'd found the King William a few weeks ago, hopeing to find the last scraps I'd missed over the years. I kept with the small 5" coil due to all the iron, but boosted sensitivity up to an almost unbearable 26 this time around. All signals were poor and read iron by the numbers. This badly broken signal read a 1f c27 jumping back and forth to a 27f c50. Turns out there was a shotgun shell and iron in the hole.

This is a U.S. Navy buckle (tongue only with loop gone). It is very unlikely I would ever find the wreath, as besides pounding this site hard for so long, much dirt has been carted away and sold for fill, and what little ground that remains is becoming an unofficial dump.

The closest identity to this buckle is listed in Kerksis (page 73) where he describes this buckle having 13 stars (as does mine). Curiously he shows a picture of a similar buckle bearing 17 stars with a slight variance in the angle of the anchor flukes. He never describes that buckle, and any input on this point would be appreciated.

As it stands, the buckle he lists with 13 stars is rated as rarity 9, tied with the rarest of all Naval buckles, and tied with the rarest of all military buckles, Union or Confederate, that are not one of a kind.

Attachments

• buckle today\'s finds.jpg
    buckle today\'s finds.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 5,033
  • buckle washed.jpg
    buckle washed.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 4,996
  • better picture.jpg
    better picture.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 4,835
Upvote 9

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back at ya! ;D

"Wow, first JimBeHunin's find today and now yours! The *stars* definately fell on you guys today. You have my vote also."

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find John, wish I knew more on buckles, but don't, so I must ask, era? War of 1812 plus or minus is what I would think with that type of eagle on the anchor(buttons).

Don

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"you got it all age and condition!
great looking centre piece, awesome find!!"

Thanks all! It's funny, whenever I go on a long drive to a site I start envisioning some rarity that might be there (today it was a silver center cent which morphed into a Birch cent! Ha ha! ;D) On the way home I started envisioning the potential rarity of the buckle I was not familiar with. It blew me away when it actually turned out to be what I'd hoped.

OP
OP
johnnyi

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"War of 1812 plus or minus is what I would think with that type of eagle on the anchor"

Thanks Don. The Buckle Kerksis lists of this design dates from around 1825. As there are only a few known, I don't know exactly how he arrives at that date, particularly, as you ponted out, the buttons of the same design (Albert's NA85) seem to date a little earlier.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just remembered that my USTE button was authorized by the government in April 1820 and the eagle design was the same as your buckle, so the buckle could most certainly be 1820s.

Don

Attachments

• USTE Don.jpg
    USTE Don.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 4,410
  • USTE Don.jpg
    USTE Don.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 4,384

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go on the buckle, Johnny!!!! It looks like it is in great shape. You have my vote!

I don't know the mechanics of those types of buckles, but it may be likely that the other portion is still around that spot!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking Buckle! Congrats on stellar relic!!!! Hogge :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread