A run of good luck!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
About a year ago, I noticed an old house that I'd driven past a thousand times without seeing; it was set back maybe 100 feet from a very busy road in our area, and not obscured in any way. Over the course of 40+ years, I just had no reason to pay attention. Having a detector changes the way you look at the world, however, and suddenly there it was. It happens to sit beside a prominent candy shop, so I stopped in just to inquire if anyone knew who owned the old house next door. As it happens, it belongs to the owner of the candy shop. She wasn't in when I first inquired, so I left one of my little pamphlets and asked the lady to pass it on to the owner. That probably never happened. Recently, while riding with someone, I pointed out the house; they told me that the fire department was supposed to burn it down, but the asbestos shingles had to come off first. Well, they're off and I was still really interested in the place. Not just the ground around it, but the inside, too. I've discovered that there are often VERY interesting artifacts hidden just under the skin and even in the skeleton of old houses. I found the candy store's website and it had the email of the owner posted. I composed a very well-reasoned plea to search the grounds, and mentioned that the interior should be searched as well before it was roasted. I attached pictures of some of my better old finds, possible contemporaries of the house in question.
That was about a week ago, and I hadn't heard back. I had reason to be down there again today (almost twenty miles away) so I stopped in and asked to speak to the owner. The woman I asked turned out to be her, so I told her my name and she recognized it right away from the email. She was very interested in what I had told her and gave me her permission to hunt it all- yard and house. She said that nobody had ever detected the yard!
After a few hours of leaf duty at my mother's house, it was down for an afternoon hunt. Sadly, I've concluded that the yard has been hunted; in about an hour and a half, I found a clad dime and four memorial pennies. I searched enough to be certain that I wasn't the first. I'll go back and continue, but I don't have high hopes. With about an hour left, I decided to do a little investigating inside; it's been trashed in spots, and nothing I was about to do would reduce its value further! I'm a big fan of mantles and the areas around fireplaces; when I moved into my house I found tons of cool stuff that had found its way behind the mantle. Today's house has at least five, and maybe more, fireplaces, and soon the mantles were moved, along with the big stone in front of the fireplace (hearth?). Soon the treasures started to appear: hidden behind one was this old picture, which may not translate well here. Sometime in the distant past, a youngun decided to stash his marbles behind the baseboard of another -21 in all! At another, this lucky token with a 1918S wheat penny in it appeared - the only old coin of the day! Finally, a card identifying a candidate for office- in 1874! I'll go back and do more detecting, and take better tools for interior exploring; I'm sure there is more to be found.

Attachments

• badenhouse 002 (Small).jpg
    badenhouse 002 (Small).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 875
  • badenhouse 003 (Small).jpg
    badenhouse 003 (Small).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 883
  • badenhouse 001 (Small).jpg
    badenhouse 001 (Small).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 869
  • badenhouse 004 (Small).jpg
    badenhouse 004 (Small).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 886
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats pretty cool :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Mac232 said:
Nice saves , have you showed the owner the items yet ?
Didn't have time today; I'll take them with me on the next hunt. I tried sending an email with pictures attached but I'm not sure it went through.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds halfdime. Take a ladder and look in the attic. Look in the heat ducts so bring a flash light. Check the closets for lose floor boards. Kitchen cabinets and pull the drawers out. I like looking through the old houses even though I haven't found much. Good hunting.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Stormfighter said:
Please post a pic of the house and/or the grounds. HH DAN
Sorry, I don't take my camera out in the field. I enjoy seeing the photos you're asking for when others post, but wifey would kill me dead if something befell the camera while on a detecting mission :wink:.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good hunt, and good persistence, half-dime. Are you just doing eye-searching on the inside, or are you using your detector?
I've heard some mighty interesting stories about coins behind baseboards, through knotholes, etc, that were first discovered with the use of a metal detector. Keep us posted. I have an idee that you might make a real nice find or two. :thumbsup:

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
You have some nice finds and I bet you find more. If the house has a stone foundation, be sure to check between the stones. I've found lots of things hidden in the basement walls of old houses.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

I'm sure your gonna stumble onto another great site soon with your determination.

HH Jer

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Try detecting the site in the morning with some dew on the ground or after a slight rainfall. That might help the better signals show up. Nice 1918-S token you found there.

JRich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread