Recent Finds - First Silver Coin - NEED HELP!

baltjoe

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
Hello there,

Here are some of my more interesting recent finds.? The Standing Quarter was my first silver coin find!!? Boy once you pull silver out of the ground, you can tell the difference from pulling clad for 3 months. Also found a 1936 Wheat.? I needed some help with the ring, the OLGA silver stamped foil, the origin of the button that is heavily corroded (Is it even a button?? about the size of a half dollar and has a crimped raised edge with a u shaped bar on the back), origin of the armored guards button.? Finally, has anyone seen a ring like I found.? It is brass and almost looks like a brass knuckle.? It fits me great (Size 12).? Thanks for the help.? ? Joe

Attachments

• Dec 28 Finds.jpg
    Dec 28 Finds.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 447
  • First Silver Coin.jpg
    First Silver Coin.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 450
  • Button1.jpg
    Button1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 372
  • Button Detail.jpg
    Button Detail.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 439
  • Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 433
  • OLGA.jpg
    OLGA.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 437
Upvote 0

Strand-Filter

Dec 10, 2005
Florida
Way to go on the first silver.

I have yet to have that pleasure,

You have some other interesting finds too.

I can't help you on the information about the other stuff but there are a great number of people on this forum with knowledge about everything we find.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the first silver. Now the first gold ring will be a feeling ten fold. I am not sure about the brass ring but it used to be common. The fork might be all silver or just plated. There are tests you can make with acids that I won't go into and are covered in detail in treasure hunting books.

HH,

Sandman

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
That's a nice first silver! I have found lots of silver but no standing liberty. :(

You must have a good place to hunt. Should be more. Don't you think?

Don't know much about the other stuff.

BOb

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Joe!!

;)

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Great job on your finds! Are there any markings on your fork? With your standing liberty, is there no date? It's common for the date to have been worn off, but I'm just wondering if maybe it's very faintly there and just didn't show up in the scan? Great job, again! :D

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver and the rest of your finds. Could the one find be an end of a barbers scissors?
HH Stan

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, thtat's not a ring, and I have seen that as part of something else. It's like a familiar name you just can't recall, it's on the tip of my tongue!......No, not a tongue depresser....a gun part perhaps? Monty

Mighty_Mouse

Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites QXT Pro, HeadHunter Pirate
The VAC tag does it have a number on it? And is it thin or kinda thick.. In other words does it feel real brittle like or more solid? I have found things like that both in FL and WV the ones that i found in WV were minor ID tags when ever they went down into the shaft the would wear one so if they went missing on a cave in others whould know who was down there. Now if it's thin and seems kinda brittle like the few i found in FL there tree tags used to id younger trees i think. Nice find on the quarter am still looking for one myself.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brass/bronze ring is from a candle stick holder, congrats on the silver and other nice finds! HH, Mike

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
IDburdie said:
Congrats on the silver and the rest of your finds. Could the one find be an end of a barbers scissors?
HH? Stan

I'd have to agree, the questionable ring looks like the finger hole from an old pair of scissors...
Great digs, WTG!!! Love the old Keyhole cover...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
B

baltjoe

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
You are right about candle stick holder. Here is a pic of one. And the description:

Candlestick Holder Handle: Often found in both period house sites and camps, most are in pieces. This is the complete handle, found in Dalton, GA at a house site near the CS winter camp. Slightly bent but could be straightened.

Baltjoe

Attachments

• cnd.JPG
    cnd.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 305

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver and the good assortment of finds ! Keep up the good work !

Huntin' 59er

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread