Pinpointing Question

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
It means you have two deteriorating iron pieces close together. The "halo" affect of iron rusting underground...especially in wet ground, gives off an electromagnetic signal very similar to silver on the outer edge of the "halo." This becomes more evident between two pieces of iron spaced at the right interval. It has been my experience that at the edge of a 3-6 inch deep piece of iron (especially two pieces about 6 inches apart, and 3-4 inches deep) I can get a solid, repeatable penny/dime signal at several angles. That's not just with the MXT, but also with a higher end Bounty Hunter and an ACE 250.
The solution to that problem is, if you attempt to pinpoint and get the results in question, turn 90 degrees and scan again, and I almost bet you will get two iron signals...Also, one of my preferred techniques is to take my knife, find the space where I am getting a "questionable" penny/dime signal, find exactly where it seems to be coming from, and stab just shy of the indicated depth and wiggle the knife around a bit. Rescan and about 95% of the time, the signal disappears, or turns to iron. If it gets stronger, I dig and get that darn coin out of there!
On a side note, I would try and ask questions like this in the SE forum...but the MODs will probably move you anyway.
Either way...MAN I LOVE MY MXT!!! Happy hunting!

~Tom

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I know with my explorer if Im holding the coil too close to the ground when I hit pinpoint it will not give a sound over the target but will give a sound on either side of the target. This happens pretty consistantly and over time ive goten used to lifting the coil up higher then hit pinpoint twice then approach the target again. This may not be your issue because I believe the pinpointing is different with the SE but it may be...Shoot

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MXT Man said:
:dontknow: Frequently with my SE I will get a coin signal and when I pinpoint it sounds off on the right and left of the target and not over the target. What does this mean?

Try not pinpointing & the problem will go away. Whats wrong with visualising where the target is without wasting extra battery power :-X (assuming you mean the pinpoint mode)

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of three things comes to mind.

A detector (most) works best and is designed up to detect a flat nickel sized object. All depth readings numbers and ionic readings are based on this any variance can cause the detected item to be off, depth pin pointing, icon or number reading.

1. item on side
2. another target, especially iron close
3. item moved when dug.

If detecting and pin pointing were easy everyone would love metal detecting and we would have to rename it, "Metal finding". ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried not even using a detector, but it didn't work. Dang! Monty

TimTrac

Jul 30, 2009
Spanaway Wa
Detector(s) used
Etrac and VX3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You using a double d coil? The pinpointing can be a little off if you are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions