Welcome to Tnet and follow advice these folks know their stuff

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am doing some old homestead hunting today by hiking in the woods. In fall and winter you can see further in the woods. Look out for the hunters though. I keep looking at Google Earth Search, but we have too many trees to get a good view of the ground here.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have driven the back roads and looked for old fallen down buildings and evidence of cellars. I have found dozens, but the hard part is finding the owners. Monty

skatergod6262

May 18, 2008
utah
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
if you see some store bought flowers planted in the middle of the woods thats a clue someone along time ago planted those so maybe you got a old homestead that was there on your hands, :read2: HH.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
See if your county has has GIS website. On the website they may have scans of old tax maps and such. They will also have modern tax maps which may show old lots. You should be able to google your county's GIS website. I believe GIS=Geographical Information System. It's where all the tax maps are stored in digital format. Also, try looking for old topo maps online. I was fortunate enough to find old topo maps (early 1900's) of my area which show where houses stood. If you see a house on the topo that you know now is just a wooded area then bingo you've got a possible hunting place.

Good Luck.
-Swartzie

maceman66

Mar 29, 2009
SE Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the local library, its a wonderful wealth of info!! Look at old maps and read old newpapers about the local gatherings, etc and take lots of notes for further reference!! Good luck!!

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
It's been my experience that there is no better research then boot prints in the woods. You will gain a knack for finding new places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread