small trade

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
I decided to go to one of my favorite spots Sunday and try to clean up some of the 'I can't believe you are going to dig that' signals. I also decided that I would dig the faintest whispers. While I didn't pull anything fantastic, I did manage some very small trade silver that makes me feel like I am really learning my detector. These little pieces certainly don't scream at you.

For all you iron diggers, who's got a better 200 year old dug nail? I love to see these come out! I was asking a blacksmith once about how old iron could possibly look so good. He said it had to do with it being made with less carbon in it. Anyway this is a good one that was simply just rinsed with water.

You will also see a trade thimble, some lead, a nice tombac and some thing with two holes in it. :dontknow:

Attachments

• relics 001.JPG
    relics 001.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 592
  • relics 003.JPG
    relics 003.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 581
  • relics 005.JPG
    relics 005.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 603
  • relics 006.JPG
    relics 006.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 590
Upvote 0

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Still all are great finds Scratcher, My main detector is not working like it used to , and soon I will be learning on a naughty :read2:

OP
OP
S

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
Hardy said:
Still all are great finds Scratcher, My main detector is not working like it used to , and soon I will be learning on a naughty :read2:

used or new?

That's a nice haul Scratcher! Anytime that you are digging up gun tacks and ear bobs, you know you are not missing much and are doing something right! Good job! I would be happy with that.
Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:
Dave.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds and beautiful nail, scratcher (love the head on that thing!) . Some of that oldest iron was so pure!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume you mean the Iron nail that is slightly bent on the left. The right one doesn't look iron to me, it has small amounts of iron residue on it but that's about it. Looks bronze/copper-alloy.
We find many Roman Iron Nails & they survive in some of our worst chemical ridden fields :icon_thumright:

Looks like lots of potential at that site :)

OP
OP
S

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
CRUSADER said:
I assume you mean the Iron nail that is slightly bent on the left. The right one doesn't look iron to me, it has small amounts of iron residue on it but that's about it. Looks bronze/copper-alloy.
We find many Roman Iron Nails & they survive in some of our worst chemical ridden fields :icon_thumright:

Cru, I meant the one on the right. It is black and certainly seems to be iron. I will use a magnet on it tonight, though. I assumed that the spots with the rust just had a slightly different composition(more carbon according to my friend?) :dontknow: Let me know more if you think differently. Thanks

romeo-1 said:
Nice trade silver! Love the tinklers...high on my want list!

Romeo, you probably know this already, but those little cone-shaped things are earbobs- kinda like earrings. Sometimes from other sites(not mine) they have another round piece attached. The ones I have found haven't had that piece. Makes me wonder if sometimes they didn't make them that way.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scratcher said:
CRUSADER said:

Cru, I meant the one on the right. It is black and certainly seems to be iron. I will use a magnet on it tonight, though. I assumed that the spots with the rust just had a slightly different composition(more carbon according to my friend?) :dontknow: Let me know more if you think differently. Thanks

romeo-1 said:

Romeo, you probably know this already, but those little cone-shaped things are earbobs- kinda like earrings. Sometimes from other sites(not mine) they have another round piece attached. The ones I have found haven't had that piece. Makes me wonder if sometimes they didn't make them that way.
Well, I can only go on what I see & it looks like other non-iron nails I have dug.

OP
OP
S

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008
CRUSADER said:
scratcher said:
CRUSADER said:

romeo-1 said:

Well, I can only go on what I see & it looks like other non-iron nails I have dug.

Yea, your right it's a pretty poor picture of it's true color....

Update-it is magnetic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread