May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prasutagus (land magnet) kindly nosed out some more land for us to do. I ditched work & had a day off to explore it.
It was a large field & I was doing what I always do on new land, trying to find the best place to start gridding. The spectacle buckle with pin was the reason to start gridding & I soon had the biggest Spur Rowel I've ever seen :o Then a hammered which needs research. (Edward I - Sterling Imitation, I think)
Prasutagus joined me for a short period (in fact, the only period I found anything good). Cru'dad came to pick me up just before dark. He did two runs with me & found nothing, so we headed back to the car. Half-way back he got something I've wanted to tick off the list for awhile:
Bronze Roman Votive Cauldron ;D Missing a leg but otherwise a stunning miniture piece 8) 8)

I don't know how we do it with such a short hunt on new land but I hope it continues :headbang:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 820
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 840
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,091
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,080
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 842
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 837
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 873
Upvote 0
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prasutagus said:
CRUSADER said:
Prasutagus (land magnet) kindly nosed out some more land for us to do. I ditched work & had a day off to explore it.
It was a large field & I was doing what I always do on new land, trying to find the best place to start gridding. The spectacle buckle with pin was the reason to start gridding & I soon had the biggest Spur Rowel I've ever seen :o Then a hammered which needs research. (Edward I - Sterling Imitation, I think)
Prasutagus joined me for a short period (in fact, the only period I found anything good). Cru'dad came to pick me up just before dark. He did two runs with me & found nothing, so we headed back to the car. Half-way back he got something I've wanted to tick off the list for awhile:
Bronze Roman Votive Cauldron ;D Missing a leg but otherwise a stunning miniture piece 8) 8)

I don't know how we do it with such a short hunt on new land but I hope it continues :headbang:
I knew I should have stayed longer! :icon_scratch: Well done! :hello2:

You were right, just checked a book, the Rowel is 14th-15th Century :icon_thumright:

shaun7 said:
Nice one Cru, I like that cauldron, I never knew these were available ;D

Isn't "votive" an offering? Would it have had anything in it?

Exactly, I would have thought this to be unique and never imagined that they were "available" for the general population. Incredible! I am learning more about Roman history each day thanks to you and the other U.K.'ers. I still can't believe the stuff you guys find. I wish I was there. :'(
Nice finds!
Dave.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
shaun7 said:

Exactly, I would have thought this to be unique and never imagined that they were "available" for the general population. Incredible! I am learning more about Roman history each day thanks to you and the other U.K.'ers. I still can't believe the stuff you guys find. I wish I was there. :'(
Nice finds!
Dave.

Maybe one day. I could hunt over there but you would have to promise not to kill me in any swamps :D

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trikikiwi said:
Always cool to see all your found treasure and learn from you Crusader :icon_thumleft:
How can you tell, the rowel is a rowel ? I would have thought one of that size would cause a puncture wound?
Or was it used on 'armoured' horses?

Mike

Sorry missed this question.

Experience :wink: Plus books, & now I've checked its 14-15th Century. Although I guessed it was probably 17th ::)

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like that's a great piece of new land for you - lovely finds Crusader, :hello2:
Looking forward to seeing what else you get off it.

CRUSADER said:
Muddyhandz said:
shaun7 said:

Nice finds!
Dave.

Maybe one day. I could hunt over there but you would have to promise not to kill me in any swamps :D
Hey, it would be your turf so anywhere is fine by me. Just don't have me swimming the English Channel. :fish:
I'll certainly would be sampling the local ale to get me good and stout. :occasion14:

NUKE345KV

Apr 1, 2009
NW OHIO
Detector(s) used
Ace 250/Vibraprobe 580
Hey CRU you must take a duffle bag out with you for all your finds. You got a spare room at your place over there im moving in, haha simply awesome finds

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds ...congrats!! :wink:

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always awesome finds :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: The star spur is fantastic not to out shine the other finds :sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions