First Time Asking Permission At a Private Home

Mac232

Aug 18, 2007
Greasy Creek , TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , I,ve been trying to get the nerve up to ask permission for this old house I saw for a week or so now . I drove by yesterday and no car was home so I went to the next town up and hunted a park there . While at the park , an 85 year young man started up a conservation with me . I had a pouch full of clad so I stopped detecting and had a good hour long talk with him and he gave me a few leads to check on .
On the way back home I went by the old house again but there was two cars parked there and I didn,t want to interrupt company visiting . Today when I went by there was one car in the driveway so I stopped by . Knocked on the door and a nice older lady answered . I asked for permission and shesaid YES :hello2: just like that . She told me she was going to a Dr.s appointment but that it was ok for me to stay and hunt .
This place is pretty small and I did a rough once over for three hours . When it was time to go I knocked on the door again to show her three of my finds , the Merc , the Shell token and the wheat . I thanked her for letting me hunt and asked if she minded me coming back as long as she was home and she said that would be fine . All and all a great day .

I need help identifying the last item pictured , at first I thought rosette but the holes on either side has me stumped , hh,ing to all

Mac

Attachments

• DSCF0688.JPG
    DSCF0688.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 886
  • DSCF0689.JPG
    DSCF0689.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 894
  • DSCF0690.JPG
    DSCF0690.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 886
  • DSCF0691.JPG
    DSCF0691.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 895
  • DSCF0693.JPG
    DSCF0693.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 901
  • DSCF0694.JPG
    DSCF0694.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 895
  • DSCF0695.JPG
    DSCF0695.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 891
  • DSCF0696.JPG
    DSCF0696.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 884
Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like those holes are mounting holes for wood screws. My guess is that it was on a front door to the home at one time. machined holes would place this in the 20th century.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
asking permission is easy.......I do it every single week! Congrats on the finds, and hopefully once you seen how easy it is to ask you'll continue to keep knocking on those doors!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Nice finds Mac :thumbsup:

I too think it was a door ornament

but it sure would make a nice rodeo buckle lol ;D

I think I might know someone that has an S for a first name ::)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, private yards are the greatest. After the first, it just gets easier. Lots more say yes than no. Keep on knockin'. ffd

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds Mac,

Take Shiloh back with you. She will find a ring...lol

SKD

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have not asked in a long time, but will do so....when I did I always got about 70 per cent yes.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I don't know when it started, but in the past 10 years, getting permission has become easier. Once you begin the same spiel comes out and it works on about 99 percent of those I ask. I like meeting people and it's not hard for me to talk to people, so having said that, I hope you get the nerve and use it when ever possible, it works for me and it has become second nature to inquire about land that's available.

Once that mindset is accomplished the sky's the limit

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it extrememly easy the more I do it, when I am asking face to face I do not remember the last time I was told no. I just introduce myself, try to explain a little about the hobby. Most people seem very interested in metal detecting and know very little about it. Very rarely does anyone ever ask to share any of my finds, and a lot of homeowners don't even care what i find.

I'd say 80% of the people I talk too are older farmers, and could care less about a few old coins. Most seem happy just to have someone to talk to. If your willing to just take time to stand there and listen to their stories most will warm up to you fairly quickly.

I just think of it as what do I have to lose? If someone says "no" I will just go to another older home and ask, no biggie.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Mac cool finds I think it was my secound MDing I found a shell token in Oswego N.Y I have it some where in my junk . This year I have found 2 antique car coins that were put out by sunoco. I new what they were the moment I dug them. My late father use to work for sun oil company. he was a dealer in the 50s and 60s . If you ever run into one i think they came about at or arround The same time like 1967. Thats a ruff estimate.Rob :coffee2: nice finds.

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Hey, way to go on the permission....hope it all pans out!
Baggins

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Thats great you were able to ask permission Im still trying to work up the nerve,Ive asked a couple of times around a house they were working on and some construction sites and havent been told no but have never gotten the nerve to just go up to the door and ask maybe this will inspire me,HH...Shoot

Twin Digger

Feb 13, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
WTG!! I have been getting very good result's asking people. I just need a better detector. I have had some good luck with misc items but no big hits.

Keep it up and congrat's on the silver.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
i got a little secret for you!! i have been going to yard sales. the ones at old homes. so i feel the people out first then start talking about the hobby. i recentley got permission to tect behind a very wealthy and old home down the street from my house doing this. havent gone there yet but oh i will. willy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread