Upvote 0

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A Rare 16th Century Spoon Mold Find!

Hi Timekiller... Just to give you an idea of what a spoon from the die would be like I picked three out of
one of my showcases to show you. I do have a spoon with an acorn on it, but just cannot find it at this
moment, I think it is stored in my garage. We do find many spoons here in Holland, most of them, just
like in these photos in fine shape. The reason is that they have been lost while washing dishes in a canal,
and we have many many canals here. Deep in the water they are protected from air and oxygen, keeping
them just fine in our clay soils.

One photo shows the fronts of the three spoons, the other the backs. The shank of your spoon mold looks
much like the spoon on the left. That is a tin spoon. The middle spoon is a bronze spoon, you can see that
they are much thinner than the tin spoons. The right hand spoon shows a sort of acorn, but a plain nut
type. I have also made some close ups of the tops... The spoon die could also be a Dutch die, it sure looks
like one.

Attachments

• Spoons Front1.jpg
    Spoons Front1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 500
  • Spoons Back1.jpg
    Spoons Back1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 493
  • Top1a.jpg
    Top1a.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 497
  • Top2a.jpg
    Top2a.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 508
  • Top3a.jpg
    Top3a.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 498
OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOODY50 said:
Hi Timekiller... Just to give you an idea of what a spoon from the die would be like I picked three out of
one of my showcases to show you. I do have a spoon with an acorn on it, but just cannot find it at this
moment, I think it is stored in my garage. We do find many spoons here in Holland, most of them, just
like in these photos in fine shape. The reason is that they have been lost while washing dishes in a canal,
and we have many many canals here. Deep in the water they are protected from air and oxygen, keeping
them just fine in our clay soils.

One photo shows the fronts of the three spoons, the other the backs. The shank of your spoon mold looks
much like the spoon on the left. That is a tin spoon. The middle spoon is a bronze spoon, you can see that
they are much thinner than the tin spoons. The right hand spoon shows a sort of acorn, but a plain nut
type. I have also made some close ups of the tops... The spoon die could also be a Dutch die, it sure looks
like one.
Thanks for the pics. WOODY,And I had not thought down those lines but a danish 2 skilling was found near by so could be I guess.Just out of the blue what do your spoons date too.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

found these in one of my books.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 502
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 479

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
found these in one of my books.
Yea Cru, that's it, the pewter one. Although the photo shows a worked stem, and the found mold
is just a square one. Most of the silver and bronze had a much smaller (narrower) stem. I have
never found a spoon mold, but did find a half of a mold for making a tin dog (or something like that),
a childrens toy also from the 17th/16th century. It looks like some of the bottom is chipped away.
Its of course neat to see how they made that sort of thing back then.

Note: in the photo below it might appear that the dog is raising out of the mold, but actually its engraved
into the mold. If you change your looking angle, or look with one eye it might change.....

Attachments

• Dog mold.jpg
    Dog mold.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 480

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

OK Pete. We've seen the little silver bits and pieces you've been finding. :o

NOW.

When you gone find the other half of this? :dontknow:

I know there's a lot of folks out there that would love to see you find the other piece and I hope you do. I think this is the best find ever. :icon_sunny:

Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgot. :wink:

Randy

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RPG said:

NOW.

I know there's a lot of folks out there that would love to see you find the other piece and I hope you do. I think this is the best find ever. :icon_sunny:

Randy
Good Lord,I about forgot that thing :laughing9: No the silver is from a closer spot for me. :laughing7: But some news on this place is that when it dries up my uncle might shave some off the top of this site for me so it might turn out to be christmas after all around here. :laughing7: :laughing9: ;D :thumbsup:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

timekiller said:
RPG said:

NOW.

Randy
Good Lord,I about forgot that thing :laughing9: No the silver is from a closer spot for me. :laughing7: But some news on this place is that when it dries up my uncle might shave some off the top of this site for me so it might turn out to be christmas after all around here. :laughing7: :laughing9: ;D :thumbsup:

I was afraid you had forgot about it. :D Sure hope he don't shave off some of the other half while he's shaving some off the top. :-\ That other half could be anywhere within a hundred acres. May take years to find it. Don't worry though, we'll keep reminding you. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Thanks for the thought Buddy :thumbsup: Money kinda funny now here after christmas and all but I don't forget about this mold and have been looking ever since I found it trying to see another mold like it. :thumbsup: Also look for spoons from time to time and see a few of them that are close but the one you posted there is one of the closes.I see a few on this site I think I asked you about one time in the past. http://time-lines.co.uk/medieval-spoon-004071-12526-0.html
Anyway not been to the site I found it at in a good while now need to get back and try again sometime.Never know when luck might come your way you know. :headbang:
Take Care,
Pete!

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SkyPirate said:
WOW! whats something like that worth?
Good question seems how I have never seen another like it yet and you can believe I've looked since I found this one :laughing9: :D :thumbsup: Value is the history! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: Don't know about the $$$

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timekiller said:
SkyPirate said:
WOW! whats something like that worth?
Good question seems how I have never seen another like it yet and you can believe I've looked since I found this one :laughing9: :D :thumbsup: Value is the history! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: Don't know about the $$$

Good response.

You are the custodian of a Museum piece, as I said before most likely the oldest one ever found in the whole USA. 8)

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just a update on this mold that I just recieved today.It is from the British Museum.And of another contact that I can find more out on maybe.
It is hard to tell from images alone, but the spoon mould does look as if it is made to produce a 16th Century type, with acorn knop and stem of quadrangular section, and the bowl shape would seem to fit for this dating. But it could date into the early 17th Century given where it was made. The Victoria and Albert Museum, Metalwork, could probably give you a close parallel and might be able to date it more precisely.

Yours sincerely

Dr Dora Thornton

When I find more out I'll let you know! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timekiller said:
Just a update on this mold that I just recieved today.It is from the British Museum.And of another contact that I can find more out on maybe.
It is hard to tell from images alone, but the spoon mould does look as if it is made to produce a 16th Century type, with acorn knop and stem of quadrangular section, and the bowl shape would seem to fit for this dating. But it could date into the early 17th Century given where it was made. The Victoria and Albert Museum, Metalwork, could probably give you a close parallel and might be able to date it more precisely.

Yours sincerely

Dr Dora Thornton

thanks for the update, at first I thought 17th C but I think we can rule it out :-\

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:

Yours sincerely

Dr Dora Thornton

thanks for the update, at first I thought 17th C but I think we can rule it out :-\
Sure thing there Cru, Again thank you for what you do here as well! :thumbsup:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

timekiller said:
CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:

Yours sincerely

Dr Dora Thornton

Sure thing there Cru, Again thank you for what you do here as well! :thumbsup:
16th century. Man to dig something that old.

Amazing man.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just one last reply on this as I recieved it this morning.Although they told me it could take up to 30 day's it didn't and Thank Them For There Help. :thumbsup: I've got enough on it now to ese my mine.On it's age.Not that it wasn't on here just my nature to know as much as I can on what I find. :thumbsup:

Dear Pete

Thank you for you enquiry and for sending me these very interesting pictures. It is of course difficult for me to say anything definitive based on photographs alone but the acorn finial and roundness of the bowl suggest to me that stylistically a date of around 1600 would be appropriate. Whether the mould is genuinely of that date of course will be partly determined by the context in which it was found.

I hope this information is useful.
Best wishes,
Angus Patterson

Angus Patterson
Curator, Arms and Armour and Base Metals
Victoria & Albert Museum
Cromwell Rd
South Kensington
SW7 2RL
Tel: (020) 7942 2471
>>> Metalwork Enquiries 19/02/10 4:36 PM >>>
Angus,

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That spoon mold looks like it would be valuable. I mean those cant be easy to run across. VERY GOOD FIND :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread