Metal Detecting, Found Bottle?

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Went out to the same farm Don and I have been hunting recently. They finally harvested the bean fields around the house. This is really our first time to do a hunt like this. We usually hunt just the yard area, but the owners said they found pottery shards in the fields after plowing. So we thought what the heck, let's go out there and see what we could find.

Started out fairly slow with just a few snap buttons and the usual trash metal targets. After about an hour Don got a crusty wheatie that had been fried from the pesticides and chemicals from the field. It looked like a 1950 something :icon_scratch:.

Then after a break and a change of batteries in the Pro6000 I told Don to hunt on the west side of the home in the field. For some reason I was getting the "vibe" :D and thought we would get something there. Well, I was right. His first target was a 1909 O Barber Dime. Pretty toasted as well. Then I got a Whats it thing that says"Lift at the Dot." Not sure what that was. Then I got a decent penny type signal that was fairly deep. Dug a decent sized hole but the target was deeper. Shoved the pinpointer all the way down into the soft dirt and barely picked it up. Took a couple more shovel fulls of dirt and finally hit something but it was glass. Then I really got careful with the shovel. I did find what was was sounding off, a large circular piece of steel about a foot in diameter. After getting that out of the ground I noticed more glass and then I found what appeared to be an intact bottle. Carefully digging the bottle out, I discovered a Dr. Kilmers bottle. The thing was about a foot and a half deep. Also found a smaller bottle that is very thick. Plus shards of china. If anyone knows anything about the china(date). Please let me know. The Kilmer bottle dates to 1906 I guess. After the Indiana Jones style dig I went on to find a buckle patented Dec. of 1879. Then the sun went down >:( We shall return. That was our first bottle find and I have to say that was nearly better than finding an old coin.......nearly :laughing9:. Be safe out there....jgas

Attachments

• Bean 1.JPG
    Bean 1.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 5,162
  • Bean 2.JPG
    Bean 2.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 5,030
  • Bean 3.JPG
    Bean 3.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 5,033
  • Bean 4.JPG
    Bean 4.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 5,059
  • Bean 5.JPG
    Bean 5.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 4,976
  • Bean 6.JPG
    Bean 6.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 4,949
  • Bean 9.JPG
    Bean 9.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 4,925
  • Bean 8.JPG
    Bean 8.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 4,941
  • Bean 7.JPG
    Bean 7.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 4,939
  • Bean 10.JPG
    Bean 10.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 4,925
  • Bean 11.JPG
    Bean 11.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 4,898
  • Bean 12.JPG
    Bean 12.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 4,919
Upvote 1

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Rando said:
Congrats guy..

I seriously think you guys need to lighten up on the whole banner thing.

Doe it REALLY matter what it can be sold for?
REALLY?

Stop and think that that banner is there to show interesting examples of what we find, NOT a worth contest.
I thought it was for exceptional finds, but I like it better if it is a cross sectional view of interesting finds. Dont get me wrong, I am not against it.

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
Congrations! Cool bottle! Banner find! :icon_thumleft:

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I disagree with the common thing. I think this is deserving of the banner. Most Kilmer bottles are very common. I don't think this one is. I was told by a reputable bottle dealer and friend after finding a common Kilmers, that the ones you want are the bigger ones with the heart or kidney shape on the side because they are more rare...as our friend has here. Did anyone check the bottle forum and ask those guys? Or SWR? He usually knows his bottles.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Holy Cow, I just logged back on and saw the bottle on the banner. I am humbled for sure. Thanks to everyone for the great replies. This has made my day that's for sure. Never thought I would make the Banner with a bottle, but indeed this was a really cool find for us. It has peeked my interest towards other forms of treasure hunting. I'm usually a coin shooter, but this find was something special. Thanks again evryone. :thumbsup: jgas

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jgas said:
Holy Cow, I just logged back on and saw the bottle on the banner. I am humbled for sure. Thanks to everyone for the great replies. This has made my day that's for sure. Never thought I would make the Banner with a bottle, but indeed this was a really cool find for us. It has peeked my interest towards other forms of treasure hunting. I'm usually a coin shooter, but this find was something special. Thanks again evryone. :thumbsup: jgas
Any chips cracks anywhere on the bottle will make the price of the bottle drop quickly... but any air bubbles an crude marks made during the making of the bottle could add value to it... Is there any chips or cracks in/on the bottle? to clean I use dollartree toliet cleaner (WEAR GLOVES WILL BURN SKIN!!) soak for 3 days then use a wire clothes hanger with sponge tied to end to get the dirt off inside...

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey Creeper. Thanks for the suggestions on cleaning. It came out pretty well as far as cleaning goes, but I will do the clothes hanger thing. As far as chips goes, there are none that I can see. There are bubbles as you suggested. A big one and several smaller ones from the "crude" making. This thing came out of the ground in primo condition. It was like it was burried like a coffin...I just breathed a sigh of relief when I got it out in one piece. How much do these things go for? Not that I am selling it as it is my first bottle. Thanks for the help...jgas

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jgas said:
Hey Creeper. Thanks for the suggestions on cleaning. It came out pretty well as far as cleaning goes, but I will do the clothes hanger thing. As far as chips goes, there are none that I can see. There are bubbles as you suggested. A big one and several smaller ones from the "crude" making. This thing came out of the ground in primo condition. It was like it was burried like a coffin...I just breathed a sigh of relief when I got it out in one piece. How much do these things go for? Not that I am selling it as it is my first bottle. Thanks for the help...jgas
I can't seem to find one in your condition but cloudy (dirt film) on the side one is online for 45.00 You'll need to take your finger an light rub the whole bottle an top rim..some chips maybe to small to see...

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
bigcypresshunter said:
creeper71 said:
bigcypresshunter said:
A quick search revealed you can still purchase for under 10 bucks. Here is one 9.99 no bids but still very early in the sale.http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Bottle-...C&itu=UCI%2BIA%2BUA%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=10&ps=63
Don't think this is the exact same bottle
What makes this variation more valuable? can you post the link?
Don't have the link save... Jgas can you post closer pic or type exactly what the front says an where it was made.... thanks

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
The one broken plate you found is similar to the plate I just found the other day. It is Ironstone China, and the emblem says Powell Bishop. Cool bottle as well! I wish all the bottles I just found were in one piece :(

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
This mark with the cipher ELP Co. and the words WACO China found on dinnerware made from 1896 to 1901. The company first made plain and decorated ironstone China. In 1896, it switched to making semivitreous dinnerware. A line of this china was named Waco. This pottery, the East Liverpool Pottery Company, was started by John W. and Robert Hall in East Liverpool, Ohio, in 1894. It merged with five other small potteries in 1901 to form the East Liverpool Potteries Company. The Halls left the group in 1903 and started the more famous Hall China Company.

Attachments

• waco.jpg
    waco.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 3,313
OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Creeper, the bottle reads "The Great Dr. Kilmers Swamp Root Kidney Liver Bladder Remedy(Remedy reads like it is spelled Bemedy) The side of the bottle says Binghamton N.Y.
I do see a very small chip or scratch near the word Kidney but thats about it. No chips on the neck or rim. There are several bubbles throughout the glass as well. Hope that helps. jgas

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
My family has a couple of those from a dump on the end of Horsetown, near Redding Ca. We figure they were from 1880-1900 and were dumped when the site was used as the base camp for the large floating dredge used along Clear Creek.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Congrats!

Sounds like you may have found an old privey. There may be more deeper down and would certainly be worth digging a few test holes to see what else you may come up with.

RGecy

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
RGecy said:
Congrats!

Sounds like you may have found an old privey. There may be more deeper down and would certainly be worth digging a few test holes to see what else you may come up with.

RGecy
I don't think this was a privey... It was found way to shallow to be a privey (my opinion) I think he may have found a small dump site tho...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread