Metal Detecting, Found Bottle?

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Went out to the same farm Don and I have been hunting recently. They finally harvested the bean fields around the house. This is really our first time to do a hunt like this. We usually hunt just the yard area, but the owners said they found pottery shards in the fields after plowing. So we thought what the heck, let's go out there and see what we could find.

Started out fairly slow with just a few snap buttons and the usual trash metal targets. After about an hour Don got a crusty wheatie that had been fried from the pesticides and chemicals from the field. It looked like a 1950 something :icon_scratch:.

Then after a break and a change of batteries in the Pro6000 I told Don to hunt on the west side of the home in the field. For some reason I was getting the "vibe" :D and thought we would get something there. Well, I was right. His first target was a 1909 O Barber Dime. Pretty toasted as well. Then I got a Whats it thing that says"Lift at the Dot." Not sure what that was. Then I got a decent penny type signal that was fairly deep. Dug a decent sized hole but the target was deeper. Shoved the pinpointer all the way down into the soft dirt and barely picked it up. Took a couple more shovel fulls of dirt and finally hit something but it was glass. Then I really got careful with the shovel. I did find what was was sounding off, a large circular piece of steel about a foot in diameter. After getting that out of the ground I noticed more glass and then I found what appeared to be an intact bottle. Carefully digging the bottle out, I discovered a Dr. Kilmers bottle. The thing was about a foot and a half deep. Also found a smaller bottle that is very thick. Plus shards of china. If anyone knows anything about the china(date). Please let me know. The Kilmer bottle dates to 1906 I guess. After the Indiana Jones style dig I went on to find a buckle patented Dec. of 1879. Then the sun went down >:( We shall return. That was our first bottle find and I have to say that was nearly better than finding an old coin.......nearly :laughing9:. Be safe out there....jgas

Attachments

• Bean 1.JPG
    Bean 1.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 5,162
  • Bean 2.JPG
    Bean 2.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 5,030
  • Bean 3.JPG
    Bean 3.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 5,033
  • Bean 4.JPG
    Bean 4.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 5,059
  • Bean 5.JPG
    Bean 5.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 4,976
  • Bean 6.JPG
    Bean 6.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 4,949
  • Bean 7.JPG
    Bean 7.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 4,939
  • Bean 8.JPG
    Bean 8.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 4,941
  • Bean 9.JPG
    Bean 9.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 4,925
  • Bean 10.JPG
    Bean 10.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 4,925
  • Bean 11.JPG
    Bean 11.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 4,898
  • Bean 12.JPG
    Bean 12.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 4,919
Upvote 1

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one good looking bottle if I ever seen one. Very nice find.

Nova

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Awesome bottle. :o

Post it on the bottle and glass forum. Those guys can tell you alot about it. Maybe worth some bucks. :thumbsup:

boondocker

Aug 22, 2009
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab etrac
Whites XLT
the "lift the dot" thing is from WW2 web gear, like a cartridge belt, canteen cover etc. that was the snap that held the cover of something down, it snapped onto a post to hold the cover down. Dean

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice finds, Great save on the bottle, coming out of a worked field in that condition is a excellent save. here is some info on it.

By 1895 the company had a line of 18 different medicines: Of these the most common was the Swamp Root. The bottle of which has an embossed label area in the shape of a kidney. The embossing reads: " THE GREAT / DR. / KILMER’S / SWAMP / ROOT / KIDNEY / LIVER & . BLADDER / CURE / SPECIFIC". The bottle was made in a sample, small and large size. Only the large has the embossed kidney. Sometime after the passage of the Food and Drug Act of 1906, the word "CURE" was dropped in favor of the word, "REMEDY". Even later, the embossing was dropped but the embossed kidney panel was retained. Believe it or not one can still buy "Swamp Root" today complete with a portrait of Andral S. Kilmer.

Nova Treasure

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
That is a sweet lookin bottle,the busted poison in the last pic is a heartbreaker as they are about the most sought after type of bottle,and the silver is always a great find,HH...Shoot

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Jgas that Kilmer's Swamp Root cure is one of my all-time favorites! Brings back memories of my first dump diggings.....one of the first best bottles i ever found.....years and years ago! Thanks for bringing back those memories. ffd

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow on the great glass find that is way better n a coin!!!!! MR TUFF

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boondocker said:
the "lift the dot" thing is from WW2 web gear, like a cartridge belt, canteen cover etc. that was the snap that held the cover of something down, it snapped onto a post to hold the cover down. Dean

Dean,
Thanks for that info. I dig those often and I always wondered what they were.
-MM-

Fantastic looking bottle & nice relics. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a common and rare version of that bottle I used to own a common version.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread